Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Lenovo laptops, Dell servers, custom-built (by me) desktops. Actually, only the domain controller is a Dell, all the other servers are also custom-built by me.

Lenovo is pretty much the only PC business laptop I recommend to people these days. Probably ASUS if you want to play video games, but Lenovo for everything else.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple. Just kidding! Hardy har
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Dell. And can I go on a rant about how we have IE 6 on all our machines?!? I have to use the web a lot in my position and I want to slit my wrists with all the slow loading and crashing of websites.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #24
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lenova laptop here in Colorado...I have no complaints. I am a Mac user at home though.
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #25
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Primarily Dell. About 60 Dell servers, 30 Dell desktops, and a dozen or so Dell laptops. We have a couple over very old IBM servers, but I think they've all been obsoleted now. Maintenance and commonality between server platforms is one of the big reasons for Dell. Price point was very good, and they have been among our most reliable servers over the years. Had one or two duds though, but percentage wise that's pretty low.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We use the slowest pieces of crap HP laptops, that weigh like 17 pounds.

I can't figure out why people keep on breaking into our office to steal the things. It's their loss.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I'm looking at how Apple can increase their market share in the business sector.
Here's a hint: It's got nothing to do with the hardware or the software, and EVERYTHING to do with the service & support they offer.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #28
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Here's a hint: It's got nothing to do with the hardware or the software, and EVERYTHING to do with the service & support they offer.
Good to know. I was thinking software was a big issue as almost all programs are Windows compatible, no all are compatible with Macs.

CP really is the best place on the internet.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Good to know. I was thinking software was a big issue as almost all programs are Windows compatible, no all are compatible with Macs.

CP really is the best place on the internet.
You have a tough one there because I honestly don't think your proposal will make any sense unless you get a real understanding of current IT trends.

Inherent compatibility on the platform has nothing to do with stopping businesses from using Apple devices. iPhones are the predominant business phone here, every CEO and most people in the IT department use Apple devices as well.

It doesn't mean iOS itself is used for business however, they all connect to Microsoft Exchange or Citrix or some other kind of cloud or virtualization technology to enable you to use any device to connect to the system and access the same applications.

Dell and HP are in a downward trend because the reality is that it doesn't matter what device or workstation you connect with is. What a user sees here on an iPad through the cloud is exactly what they would see if they sat down on the 1000 Dell workstations everybody else uses.

The kinds of computer people use don't really matter that much anymore, it's a slim-margin commodity type business that isn't what makes money. Dell and HP make their money on architecture/infrastucture, solutions, and support...not the types of computers people work on in the office. Why do you think IBM quit the personal PC business and sold it to Lenovo?

Apple already has a great foothold in the business marketplace as the mobile device of choice for many companies. It would be easy to parlay that into a more enterprise model simply by offering more virtualization or cloud access options for what are predominately windows based business applications because current day Macs run on the same architecture as Windows computers. Then when they have that foothold, they could offer their own iOS or OSX based software solutions and move on from there.

Right now, I'm finding a lot of power users are choosing Macs for the hardware but all they are doing is using the Apple software for organizing/planning their lives/work schedules, etc. and then remoting onto Windows or Linux machines for their actual work instead of actually using the Apple software. That's what Apple needs to work on.

Apple does not compete with Dell or HP or Lenovo in the business workstation world because it doesn't want to. There is no need for them to do so. That's why it does not matter at all "what kind of computers does your company use" (as long as it's fast enough and capable enough to get into the cloud). It's "what

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-06-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You have a tough one there because I honestly don't think your proposal will make any sense unless you get a real understanding of current IT trends.

Inherent compatibility on the platform has nothing to do with stopping businesses from using Apple devices. iPhones are the predominant business phone here, every CEO and most people in the IT department use Apple devices as well.

It doesn't mean iOS itself is used for business however, they all connect to Microsoft Exchange or Citrix or some other kind of cloud or virtualization technology to enable you to use any device to connect to the system and access the same applications.

Dell and HP are in a downward trend because the reality is that it doesn't matter what device or workstation you connect with is. What a user sees here on an iPad through the cloud is exactly what they would see if they sat down on the 1000 Dell workstations everybody else uses.

The kinds of computer people use don't really matter that much anymore, it's a slim-margin commodity type business that isn't what makes money. Dell and HP make their money on architecture/infrastucture, solutions, and support...not the types of computers people work on in the office. Why do you think IBM quit the personal PC business and sold it to Lenovo?

Apple already has a great foothold in the business marketplace as the mobile device of choice for many companies. It would be easy to parlay that into a more enterprise model simply by offering more virtualization or cloud access options for what are predominately windows based business applications because current day Macs run on the same architecture as Windows computers. Then when they have that foothold, they could offer their own iOS or OSX based software solutions and move on from there.

Right now, I'm finding a lot of power users are choosing Macs for the hardware but all they are doing is using the Apple software for organizing/planning their lives/work schedules, etc. and then remoting onto Windows or Linux machines for their actual work instead of actually using the Apple software. That's what Apple needs to work on.

Apple does not compete with Dell or HP or Lenovo in the business workstation world because it doesn't want to. There is no need for them to do so. That's why it does not matter at all "what kind of computers does your company use" (as long as it's fast enough and capable enough to get into the cloud). It's "what kind of software does your company use" and "how do people access and work with that information".
While I agree with your assessment, this is a marketing class and I'm sure my prof will have no idea what the hell any of that means anyway. That's why we chose what we are doing. For the sake of my project we are focusing on selling computers B2B. I don't want to spend hours learning what all this IT stuff means if my prof. won't understand any of it.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All our desktop machines are HP, our laptops are mainly Dell and some Panasonic Toughbooks.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Desktops and Laptops are all HP.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All our desktops are HP aka Huge Problems.
Our laptops are Toshiba. Sorry don't have a witty comment about how crappy they are.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Through the years we have gone through various manufacturers.

I still have an old Dell running that was purchased in 1998 (Pentium 2, 400MHz), but we changed most of our workstations to vitualized - a small appliance that you connect a mouse, keyboard and a couple monitors to which then connects to a virtual desktop (Citrix).

Only a few users (primarily IT dept) still use desktops and they are ordered ad hoc from Memory Express. And the rest who work off notebooks all use Lenovo Thinkpads. There is one single Apple computer the marketing department said they required.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #35
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lenovo here. Windows XP, Intel Core2 Quad CPU @2.4GHZ, 3gb ram.

Suffice it to say I swear at it a lot for not doing what I tell it to do.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #36
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

My old job had a Samsung laptop and a custom desktop, the current job has dell everything. EVERYTHING.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
My old job had a Samsung laptop and a custom desktop, the current job has dell everything. EVERYTHING.
HP garbage. Ok so I have a 6 month old i7 "Pro" line laptop that weighs 20lbs and takes 5mins to boot. What a beauty.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
All our desktops are HP aka Huge Problems.
Our laptops are Toshiba. Sorry don't have a witty comment about how crappy they are.
You're forgiven, there is nothing witty about Toshiba laptops.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #39
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lenovo desktops. Not sure what the laptops are.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #40
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Dell here in Iceland, we are also the company that sells them here