Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

No one will argue that UO offered the most freedom out of any MMO to date, it was really neat to be a Animal Tamer with archery, or a Melee fighter that you gave a bit higher int in exchange for swinging slower with less stamina so he could heal using magery as well as the healing skill. Or if you wanted just a 7x tank mage power house, the combinations were endless, and they still are. The game isn't nearly as fun as it was but it still offers that incredible selection and customization when building your character. Now with even more skills than before. However, the risk factor has been completely removed and to me that it was defined UO and is why I consider the game to be 'dead'.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
No one will argue that UO offered the most freedom out of any MMO to date, it was really neat to be a Animal Tamer with archery, or a Melee fighter that you gave a bit higher int in exchange for swinging slower with less stamina so he could heal using magery as well as the healing skill. Or if you wanted just a 7x tank mage power house, the combinations were endless, and they still are. The game isn't nearly as fun as it was but it still offers that incredible selection and customization when building your character. Now with even more skills than before. However, the risk factor has been completely removed and to me that it was defined UO and is why I consider the game to be 'dead'.
This is why I loved UO - you never knew when something completely spontaneous or off the wall would happen and that would dictate your entire day.

I.E. Your friend agrees to 1v1 duel someone who has a bit of a poor reputation on the shard (for whatever reason), so he wants some back up for the duel. You come along. You get there to find he has about 6-7 friends watching the duel so you and your buddy call in 6-7 people from your side to make it even.

Since there is no structured "duel" system in UO, the duel ends and maybe there is some dispute - did he use potions? Did he steal anything off his corpse after killing him? Or maybe some recalls in and kills your horses (lol).

Lets say he steals his reagents and try to recall - someone on your side disrupts him and all hell breaks loose on both sides, resulting in a massive brawl.

Those are the events and nights that made me love UO forever.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
However, the risk factor has been completely removed and to me that it was defined UO and is why I consider the game to be 'dead'.
The very earliest implementations of the notoriety system were the absolute best - the fact that you had an entire population of people that couldn't enter the cities without being killed immediately by the guards was incredible - it made solo venturing outside the city limits incredibly risky for newbie/low level players, or those focusing on a non-combat role. The guys living on the outside were tough, unforgiving, and had a great gang mentality since they had to stick together.

Some of the non-combat roles were awfully fun too - I'd booby trap chests with the tinkering and alchemy skills and leave them laying around while I innocuously herded animals a short ways away, then corpse loot when people tried to open them.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

A little off topic, but as ESO is quite a ways away it is going to draw a lot of comparisons to other games while people get a feel for it.

I never will shy away from some good ole UO story telling. I believe Caramon and I both played on Sonoma, which server were you mainly on sclitheroe?

Edit: I think I have posted this before, but Glendor from BLD on Sonoma kept a great story page about the major events on both Sonoma and Siege Perilous, they are all great reads and still online 15 or however many years now later.

http://www.pusateri.org/blood/pictures.htm

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Pacific : Pre-UOR
Sonoma: UOR
Lake Superior: UOR/Post Pub 16.

Sonoma was definitely the best time though - me and my buddy created identical characters (same name, hair style, clothes, etc), who were 7x mages and proceeded to exploit that beyond belief.

Basically we'd stack on eachother and face the same direction. It was actually impossible to tell that there was more than one of us, no matter what you did, so if we were doing factions or Order/Chaos, the person attacking us would get double comboed and wonder wtf just happened, because they didn't see more than one person.

We'd also duel people on our character where one would hide at the pre-designated duel site, we'd stack there, get them to flag, and proceed to kill them. It was cheap, but it was absolutely hilarious.

We'd just do random griefy crap too, like Bola someone off their expensive Nightmare, the other one would cast a gate, and we'd bait the Nightmare in, the attacker would run in the gate, and the other person would dispel it, effectively stealing their horse.

That was what made UO fun - the game allowed you to do almost anything you could think of. There wasn't a ton of "end game" content like WoW has, it was all player driven, because they gave the players the tools to do what they wanted.

Did we get what was coming to us when we did stupid crap? Sometimes we did. We took our lumps when they came.

UO was a harsh world. I think most of us experienced walking through a random gate for the first time, only to have someone dispel it on the other side, and having to wait 2 hours for a Game Master to come and move you. But you learned not to do things like that as they occurred to you.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
UO was a harsh world.
This in a nutshell is why UO was so good. It was relentlessly harsh in the early days. I was actually disappointed when they made true-dark nights optional, I thought even that was pandering.

Sonoma for me as well, fwiw. I was never much of a decent or powerful player, but I had tons of fun (and spent a lot of time re-visiting my corpse)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
I also think having options like this discourages the character maxing that is so prevalent in MMO's. Everyone ends up using one of 3 builds, and everyone ends up gear grinding. No one is unique and it's so boring.

A certain set of gamers will still figure out the stats and builds down to a thousandth of a percentage point, but many would spend more time on making a character that is fun or cool to them and not just one that can do the most damage.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #28
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

To be fair though, there was certain builds that were clearly more powerful than the others. For instance, in the early days of UO everyone was an archer, everyone that was good anyway. If you didn't run with a heavy x bow and 15-20 GH potions you weren't winning any fights.

As time progressed the classes changed, 7x tank mages were all the rage for quite a while, if you weren't running this template you would get blown the frack up.

So while UO did offer an incredible amount of options as far as customization, it wasn't completely innocent. There was a lot of cookie cutter, flavour of the month builds and there still is to this day. I think the deal with UO is that it was a lot of fun for people who didn't figure it out. As far as customization goes though, compared to current and past games, UO still had the most...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

You obviously know more about it than I do. I'm sure any new game could keep large customization possibilities available, while reigning in the possibility for abuse. (Hopefully not by constant nerfing..., that is so annoying)
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The fact that you could remain ignorant to the above information and still have a blast with all levels of game content speaks to the originally and customization of UO though.

No one forced you to be a certain way to accomplish task X.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair though, there was certain builds that were clearly more powerful than the others. For instance, in the early days of UO everyone was an archer, everyone that was good anyway. If you didn't run with a heavy x bow and 15-20 GH potions you weren't winning any fights.

As time progressed the classes changed, 7x tank mages were all the rage for quite a while, if you weren't running this template you would get blown the frack up.

So while UO did offer an incredible amount of options as far as customization, it wasn't completely innocent. There was a lot of cookie cutter, flavour of the month builds and there still is to this day. I think the deal with UO is that it was a lot of fun for people who didn't figure it out. As far as customization goes though, compared to current and past games, UO still had the most...
Absolutely - almost everyone ran 7x GM mage builds pre-UOR and if we're honest with ourselves, 60-70% were Swordsmanship, 20% were Maces, 10% was Fencing. Not a ton of diversity in there (but I do think there was still some diversity).

You had some Dexers who could compete with them - It was actually good to have a mix when you were having group battles since they were the main source of disruption. I will dispute that Dexers were not totally viable, I know on my shard (pacific) there were maybe a handful of Dexers who had GM resist. That IMHO was absolutely needed in a mage world.

I actually didn't really care much for the diversity because your character could do so much with those builds. You had 64 different spells you could use as a mage, some of which were kind of useful, others useless - but in all honesty, there were at least 30-35 spells you used on a regular basis (and they weren't the DoT, or different varieties of damage / button spam you see in MMOs today).

Not to mention, when 90% of the shard is mages - some would argue that this was "true balance" - and you could assess who was the best and who was the worst based on that, how good of a duelist someone was based on that as opposed to "blah blah blah, your character is built to counter my specific build" or "you cheesed me because your character has X", which exists in a lot of MMOs today.

Sure it would have been great to have more, but at the time EA was completely incapable of balancing classes, so mostly everyone ran the same class.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #32
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Oh good. A new mmo. Cause we don't have enough of those discarded and unplayed right now.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #33
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that you could remain ignorant to the above information and still have a blast with all levels of game content speaks to the originally and customization of UO though.

No one forced you to be a certain way to accomplish task X.
I wasn't ignorant of magic, but I never used it in UO. I didn't even gate, believe it or not. I walked. A lot
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The ESO crew added a new video that explains some of the concepts behind the game from PvE to PvP, as well as some early sneak peaks at content. Well worth a watch.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #35
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One thing that the challengers to throne didn't have, was to be preceded by possibly the the most successful game in recent history. Skyrim is currently sitting at #22 on Steam and ruled the top spot for what seemed like an eternity. SWTOR enjoyed some of that built in audience mojo, but flopped with weak endgame content and, imo, cc heavy pvp and being too similar to WoW.

Bethesda has a long history of completely broken class balances, which I think is the greatest threat to taking a big piece of that WoW pie. A LOT of people are going to give this game a shot. I will, you see that PVP footage at 8:00? Hell yes.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #36
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

One thing I find comical is that in the PvP scene how everyone takes on a different target and you have these 50 one on one battles, just like the movies!

I remember in the early, early days of UO that was how it was, before people realized the power of ganking.

But you are right, the pvp looks great, I love how the armor/weapons aren't over the top, true to the ES lore.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #37
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any word on crafting, player housing, etc?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #38
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

As far as I know there won't be any player housing, which is too bad because it is a great game mechanic, especially for guilds.

Crafting has had hints dropped that it will be a major part of the game, so that is exciting, but no details are available yet.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #39
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Beta sign up including new promo movie, they did a great job:

http://signup.elderscrollsonline.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #40
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed up.

Mrs Rathji might not like me very much if I get accepted though...