Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #1241
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
So you can watch 4k cable content on your 4k TV. Not that it's true 4k, but I assume you would see the difference from 1080p, which is not true 1080p...
But with 2 channels having 4K capability and those channels each only offering a few shows isn't is placebo?

I would personally trust the upscaling from my P series Vizio over a no name cable box. Especially if it means the cable box upscales it to 4K and I actually get a worse picture because of that poor upscaling ability of the cable box.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #1242
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

The box doesn't upscale anything to 4K any more than a regular box upscales broadcasts to 1080p. Certain channels broadcast "4K" shows which are of significantly better quality than the regular "1080p" broadcasts. Sure, there are only a few 4K channels, most notably Sportsnet & TSN 4K, so if that's not enough 4K content, skip it for now.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #1243
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default TELUS Optik TV Thread

Telus offered me to upgrade to a 4K box and upgrade my modem if I signed up for another 2 years. I had it installed yesterday, I don't have a 4K tv but the loading speed on the optik box and internet is so much quicker now. Plus double the storage capacity in the pvr box. I wasn't planning on switching companies anytime soon so it worked out good for me
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #1244
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Man, that's weird.
Telus proactively called me and said they wanted to switch out boxes for 4k boxes. No contract extensions. Even better for me was I had bought a refurb box 2 years ago (~$50 or $100?), and when I asked, they confirmed the new box is mine, not a rental.

But I agree, I don't have 4k TV, but the speed and responsiveness of the new box is way better.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #1245
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got the same type of call recently too. They'll be coming to upgrade all our TV boxes as well as the modem/router.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #1246
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Telus came to the door the other night with an aggressive offer for tv, internet and phone. Four of the new wireless 4K boxes, and Internet 50.

I'm on the shaw 150 internet, but so is most of my neighbourhood. Is there any way to estimate how fast speeds will be? I'm in Tuscany and fairly sure there is still no fibre to the house.

What about Optik tv? How does it compare to Shaws offering?

Looking to hear from people who have switched and to understand the good and the bad
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #1247
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When we had Shaw we only had Internet but when the whole 150 Mbps craze started we moved all of our services to Telus.

Optik TV:
I really dislike the Optik TV. There's a lot of content and on-demand channels (e.g. Food network) but the hardware is horrible. The Optik menu is extremely slow and the device has never PVRed properly.

Internet:
We have the 150/150 plan and we get about 160/180 in reality. I've never had a problem with our internet connection or speed. We've even paid the extra $5 or $10 for unlimited internet and we love it. It's fiber though so if you don't have access to that then it might not be worth the move.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #1248
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Optik TV:
I really dislike the Optik TV. There's a lot of content and on-demand channels (e.g. Food network) but the hardware is horrible. The Optik menu is extremely slow and the device has never PVRed properly.
What hardware do you have? The 4K box I have is extremely responsive and the PVR has never malfunctioned...
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #1249
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just have a regular Telus box and the menus are reasonably responsive (similar to the Shaw boxes I've used at my parents and in-laws place) and the PVR works great. It needs the occasional reboot but I think that's pretty standard among all of them. My wife likes the "Restart Program" feature they added recently.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #1250
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was with Shaw for years but switched to Telus at Christmas time.

The HD channel selection on Telus is much better than Shaw now.

The only time I haven't been able to watch something because it wasn't available on Telus but was on Shaw was the WHL playoffs. That won't be a problem going forward because Shaw is shutting down their local community channels that carried WHL hockey.

It's nice to have access to all the Sportsnet regional feeds in HD for the rare few times that they have different content on the different channels. Having access to the Eastern feeds for HBO and The Movie Network is great, especially with Game of Thrones starting. Now, I can watch GoT at 7:00pm instead of waiting until 9 and potentially being spoiled by reading something on Twitter.

I've had to reboot my PVR a couple of times because it started acting wonky. That wasn't a major hassle. I had similar problems with Shaw every once in a while too. Other than that, I haven't had any issues using the tv box or the PVR.

There are a few things about the Shaw interface I prefer to Telus, but they're definitely not dealbreakers.

I was on an old grandfathered plan with Shaw, so I had their slowest speed internet (that's the main reason I switched since they wouldn't let me keep my old tv plan and just upgrade my internet). I can't really compare the quality of the internet service. Going from 10 to 50 was a marked improvement. Telus doesn't offer 150 speed in my neighbourhood yet, but I honestly don't know how much better it could possibly be for me. The most data-intense thing I do is watch Netflix and I don't ever have any issues with lag or dropouts. If I had a big family and everyone was streaming constantly, I might notice an issue, but for me alone, it's no problem.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #1251
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Never had any pvr problems with Telus. Also have 4K box. Old box was kinda slow but this one is very responsive. I also like the way the menus are configured and how everything works.

My internet is good. On 150. Nice and fast. I've had the odd issue with my internet dropping out but pretty rare and always brief.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #1252
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
What hardware do you have? The 4K box I have is extremely responsive and the PVR has never malfunctioned...
I believe we have the non-4K boxes (Cisco branding everywhere). Is it a free upgrade to get the new 4K boxes? Can I just call in and request them? If they are more responsive I'd love to get two of them because the ones we have right now are horrible. For example, in the guide when you type in a channel, say "300", you do the button presses and eventually the numbers will start showing up on the screen.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #1253
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I'm not sure about the 4K box upgrade. It was offered to me for free without asking.

Friend of mine called to complain about his slow box and Telus said no.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #1254
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quick question, where is the damn "input" button on these new remotes for the 4K boxes?
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #1255
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure if I got the newest boxes but I have those 'modern' remotes and there is no input button on them. It's the dumbest thing. Now I need to have two remotes out just to switch inputs.

We rarely watch any cable TV anymore, we just stream everything now. That'll save us a good $80 a month.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #1256
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any one have the Telus Pik box? Seems like a pretty good deal..

On Shaw, not really a fan of the service and the wifi sucks, don't get speed as advertised.

Even cancelling early the price is worth it to move...

Last edited by FlamesKickAss; 07-26-2017 at 01:22 PM.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #1257
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How many HD streams can you get on optiktv per receiver currently?
rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #1258
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd123 View Post
How many HD streams can you get on optiktv per receiver currently?
I think I can record 4 shows while watching another I think.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #1259
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I believe the number of HD streams that you get is dependent on the type of neighbourhood you are in. If you're in a fibre optic neighbourhood you get more I think.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #1260
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just switched to telus 150/150. First speed test is 175/175!!
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote