Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Where would you like the Flames to go with their jerseys?
Keep with the existing set 9 2.34%
go back to vintage home and away 229 59.48%
go back to 2004 home and away 26 6.75%
minor tweak to the existing set (piping, flags) 40 10.39%
new design that adds black to the retro look 36 9.35%
completely new design 39 10.13%
other (elaborate) 6 1.56%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #1041
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Obviously in the minority here, but I like them...Cleaned up.
Still not a fan of the blue Alberta patch. Shoulda went with two Canada ���� flags over that again
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #1042
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I like the flags so I'm glad we kept them

Retros would have been the best option but I like our jerseys, and these are improved (slightly)
The shoulder shrug in your sig really fits the mood of your post, bahahaha
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #1043
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM11 View Post
Shot in the dark here. But the jersey issue (like so many others) has the feel of a billionaire owner who exercises the right to make the big decisions himself. People blame Ken King, but I bet it goes to the top of the ownership group. "My team, I'll pick the jerseys I like. And I like the flags!"
If this were true the flag patches would have been replaced by the Union Jack
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #1044
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a positive note the new font for the namebar and numbers is a major improvement on the old one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #1045
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

A marginal improvement, but still among the worst uniforms in the league alongside Ottawa and now Edmonton.

It's great to see the Avs go back to their classic look, I wish the Flames would've taken the opportunity to do the same.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #1046
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't go with the retros. They would be great alternate jerseys, but they are very bland overall visually to see 82 times a year. They could have done retro inspired jerseys, but the exact jerseys they used were bland.

There's a line between being simple and being too simple. Take the Preds new jerseys. Just a little bit too plain. Makes it boring, even though I like the jersey when taken as a complete uniform.

I think the current set would look better if the side stripes went away, and you put black shoulders on it like the former 3rd jersey (but without the yolk). They also should have gone with the C being the actual Flames logo like back in the 90's instead of the ugly change they made there.

One day the Flames will have a jersey that I'd rate higher than a 5/10. Haven't had one yet and the only one that I give a 5/10 is the 04 Flames Red jersey. Everything else is between a 2 and a 4.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #1047
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the life of me I will never understand why people will wade into a thread to tell others they should not care so much about a topic.

Some people really dislike the sweaters. It's a matter of taste. Can't posters decide for themselves what's important?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #1048
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I actually don't mind it now through I'm hoping since this is adidas first season as the NHL sponsor that year 2 or 3 we will see some changes to some jerseys.

CPHL Dallas Stars
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #1049
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Upon sober reflection the jersey is not as bad as it could have been.

I like how the flags have been moved up and the italics are removed.

Still want the retro though.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #1050
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL has just announced that one player of each team will wear a special version of the jersey. Gaudreau's will have targets on the cuffs.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #1051
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

In the 90s, we started ~10 years of awful jerseys.

In 2004, or jerseys were finally corrected, and we had great Jerseys, for all of 3 years.

The last 10 years, we've had one of the worst jerseys, and now with an opportunity to redesign, they push out essentially the same jerseys.

It's frustrating and disappointing when we have a good set of uniforms for 3 years, followed by 10 years and counting of an awful set.

I'd criticize the Flames' design team, but it's obvious that they haven't had a design team for more than 10 years.

I don't know who's ultimately responsible, but it probably goes to Ken King, and honestly, he should have been fired on the spot for both this and for the CalgaryNext proposal.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #1052
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Original (1980-1994) jerseys: 10/10. Great colour scheme which pops out on the ice and on TV. Perfect striping. Awesome logo. Neat history.

Pedestal (1994-2000) jerseys: 4/10. Had some potential, but they had to muck it up with that diagonal stripe. Also not a huge fan of the black in the white C on the home jersey... it seems like it the black and yellow stripes switched places, it'd be better. I will say that the lettering and numbers on this jersey are my favourite of those on any Flames jersey.

Horse head (1998-2007) jersey: 7/10. Always liked the idea of a black Flames jersey, and this one introduced an awesome template which would result in one of my favourite home/away sets. Not the biggest fan of the horse logo but it isn't as awful as some may say. Like the shoulder patches and the contrast between the logo and background. Not a huge fan of the Mission: Impossible lettering, but it's fine.

Cup run (2003-2007) jerseys: 9/10. The red makes the already cool template even better, and the black C, while it doesn't make sense, stands out amazingly. Love the diagonal stripes at the bottom, and the lack of a shoulder yoke. Think it'd be better without a shoulder patch, but the horse head doesn't kill it. The M:I lettering is still fine.

RBK Edge (2007-2017) jerseys: 2.5/10. The red is still there, and the black C is still there. However, everything else just gets worse. The shoulder patches are useless, the striping and piping is confusing and busy, and the lettering is starting to get old. But seriously, why the hell is there a blue patch on a red jersey? It makes absolutely no sense.

Script (2013-2016) jersey: 5.5/10. Some will say it looks like it belongs in Walmart, but I disagree... it's a significant improvement from the Reebok Edge primaries. No piping and no flags automatically makes it better. However, I don't really like the baseball logo, and the weird '5' doesn't really do anything for me. The shoulder patches, though... drool. Also don't really like the idea of a black shoulder yoke on a Flames jersey, but it's fine in execution.

adidas (2017-) jersey: 5/10. They got rid of some of the piping from the RBK Edge jersey, and they de-italicized the lettering. Otherwise, the flags are still there, it's still Mission: Impossible font, and there still is some piping. Also, what the #### is up with the captain's 'C'? That just looks so, so wrong.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #1053
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
For the life of me I will never understand why people will wade into a thread to tell others they should not care so much about a topic.

Some people really dislike the sweaters. It's a matter of taste. Can't posters decide for themselves what's important?
Well some of us are curious to see the new jerseys. So we click on this thread.... and read 10 straight pages of people whining about what a "disaster" the jerseys are. It's a little much to take seriously. Piping! Waaaaah! Stripes! Waaaah! Flags! Waaah!

In the end it's a product that makes the NHL money. If you're a sucker and want to support the NHL that way, the prerogative is yours. Pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of life and the world.

Diehard Flames fan here. Never bought a jersey, likely never will. Don't see why some people seem so emotionally invested in it. If you don't like it don't buy it? Simple solution I would think. If you like em, buy em.

The amount of handwringing in this thread should be saved for things that actually matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #1054
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wait, so fans who buy jerseys are "suckers"?

Oh, come on, man. Tell me, what actually matters for an ice hockey team in late June? It's a ####ing sports team. Why can't we, as fans, critique the jerseys?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #1055
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wait, so fans who buy jerseys are "suckers"?
Pretty much. My Flames sweaters are among the most expensive garments in my closet. I am a man of simple tastes and the money spent on these for purely sentimental reasons could probably have been put to better use.

Quote:
Oh, come on, man. Tell me, what actually matters for an ice hockey team in late June? It's a ####ing sports team. Why can't we, as fans, critique the jerseys?
I see a certain number of reasonable critiques of the new jerseys in this thread, but these are largely overshadowed by the ramblings of some posters who appear to be approaching irrational levels of rage and despondency. My problem is with how exaggerated some of the reactions have been.

I get it. It's an internet thing where over-the-top despair and indignation are default forms of criticism for pretty much anything that evokes the slightest level of irritation. In a sea of so much faux outrage it becomes tiresome to continue reading about something that is genuinely interesting and novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread