Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought WD Red drives hoping that will provide more reliability. That being said, the desktop drives I had in the WHS ran 24/7 for 7 yrs so not like they were poor by any means.

Guess I'll go with the single volume and just make sure I'm religious with backing up the NAS.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

good on you for keeping your WHS going for so long!

Like GoinAllTheWay, I have a Synology and I have started doing exactly the same thing with the Red Drives as my older desktop drives fail. I have it on redundant mode inside the Synology and when I replaced a dead HDD, it was basically a matter of buying a bigger HDD than the one that I replaced.

I figured that over the life of the device, a local redundant drive was better than paying for the upload over Shaw and the network storage.

Not sure if GoinAllTheWay has seen the same thing with his drives, but when I run the S.M.A.R.T. tests, the Red drives always seem to be running at a lower temperature than the other drives. This has the added benefit of reducing the overall temperature in the small NAS box for the other drives as well.

I find my Synology getting just a bit slower now, but overall I would totally buy another Synology drive if it came to that. I have also considered buying a cheap 2 bay Synology and using that as a backup for the main NAS, but I always back away from it.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #23
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another +1 for Synology. Easy to use and setup, great reliability with nearly zero downtime in my four years using it. Will probably be updating it in a little bit so will be looking for something newer then.

Only problem I had back then was I picked a really underpowered low end server. Didn't handled things as quickly as I wanted.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #24
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another Synology user here. Get the best CPU you can - you'll be amazed at what apps exist for the unit to run in the background.

At the minimum, better specs will let you handle bigger files better. My elderly Synology takes it's sweet time with 4GB file transfers.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #25
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I'm lucky if I get 40MB/s transfer on my Synology 411j
Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #26
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got a Thecus N7700Pro NAS at home. They seem to be priced lower than comparable offerings from Synology or Qnap. I was lucky to get mine used, so saved even more money. Not sure about their reliability, though. My box is 8 years old (I've had it for about 3), and one of the 2 gigabit ports failed last year.

But one thing I do have to say about it - it is very, very fast. I don't normally notice disk transfer speeds, especially over a network, but when I got this box and moved my stuff onto it, it was very noticeable. I'm currently running my drives in RAID5.

Just ran a benchmark and got these numbers:

psyang is offline   Reply With Quote