Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default PS3 Dance Dance Revolution Dance Pad Help

My wife and I thought it would be a good idea that we do more together after our daughter went to bed other than watch movies/tv. So we bought some boardgames, puzzles and such. She also suggested it would be fun to get into playing DDR again. So last week I got the PS3 out of storage and went to the used game shop and purchased this dance pad (they didn't have any DDR ones) :

and this game :

Yesterday when I went to hook everything up I couldn't for the life of me get the dance pad to work. I couldn't even tell if the PS3 was registering it when I plugged it in. Would anyone be able to help me out?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not test that mat on a computer to see if it can be detected? It's better if you can do it on PC than PS3, because it's easy to download the emulators for DDR and play it that way.

Foldable mats are junk. They stop working for all sorts of reasons. I think it's because there are wires that flex all the time and end up disconnecting or snapping etc. You might have a dud of a mat.

A minor exception I ran into, is that there are versions where they put interlocking foam inside the mat. Those lasted longer and didn't slide around etc. If you end up with a folding mat that works, I'd definitely suggest mounting it permanently to foam tiles. It'll work better, slide less and last longer. Best you can buy without going all out on metal mats.

This is what I bought many years ago for my PS2.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dance-Dance-R...4AAOSwLEtYg7gL

And I'm curious whether you can attempt to play DDR on a PS2 instead of a PS3? The mats might be cheaper.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fear I have nothing to add but wish you luck. These things are still a thing in Japan and are amazing.

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

TomLeeMC: It looks like you bought a PS2 mat which probably wasn't compatible with the PS3. If you have a PS2, there's lots of games you can use it on still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
This is what I bought many years ago for my PS2.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dance-Dance-R...4AAOSwLEtYg7gL
Hah, I had the same mat I'm pretty sure. It was great once I taped it to an office chair floor mat.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
TomLeeMC: It looks like you bought a PS2 mat which probably wasn't compatible with the PS3. If you have a PS2, there's lots of games you can use it on still!
I went back to the shop today to ask the guy a few questions on how to set it up. He was zero help telling me to search PlayStation network forum for a solution but he did say the pad is for PS3 as the ps2 pad had a different end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Why not test that mat on a computer to see if it can be detected?
I tried plugging it into my MacBook and I was expecting it to see a new device but nothing happened so maybe it's junk.... Looks like I'll go back and see if I can trade the mat is for a different one.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

Hah, I had the same mat I'm pretty sure. It was great once I taped it to an office chair floor mat.
It looked like a USB connector so I'm not sure it was a PS2 mat.

Heh, that foam mat is probably the best value mat I ever bought. Those foldable $30-40 mats that could be purchased at wherever all failed within weeks or months of purchase. I think that foam mat lasted several years of play and a year ago, it still worked after near a decade of dust collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLeeMC View Post
I went back to the shop today to ask the guy a few questions on how to set it up. He was zero help telling me to search PlayStation network forum for a solution but he did say the pad is for PS3 as the ps2 pad had a different end.

I tried plugging it into my MacBook and I was expecting it to see a new device but nothing happened so maybe it's junk.... Looks like I'll go back and see if I can trade the mat is for a different one.
I think you got a dud. If he has another mat, maybe consider asking him to show you that it works before going home with it?
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It may use USB but PS2s accepted input from USB ports on it so that wouldn't be crazy. Just because it doesn't have a PS2 controller adaptor doesn't automatically mean it will be compatible with other USB plug systems. Same thing with my fight stick for X360.

I happen to own the worst PS2 rhythm game out there, which happens to use a USB keyboard, so I feel like I'm well versed in the subject...

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize that they may have indeed made peripherals for the PS2 with a USB jack. But what you say about the USB compatibility is true as well.

Tags
ddrforlife