Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

don't all sports leagues offer online streaming video (for a cost) now? I pay for baseball...sounds like nba has it, nhl centre ice...and I can't imagine the nfl being left behind on this either.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
How do you get past the fact that the remote is borderline useless and the UI is a steaming pile of goat feces?
I was looking for something cheap to stream to my HDTV. The remote and UI suck but it cost me $30 so it's all good.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess for $30 it makes sense. I bought mine when they first came out and it was $120 I think.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
don't all sports leagues offer online streaming video (for a cost) now? I pay for baseball...sounds like nba has it, nhl centre ice...and I can't imagine the nfl being left behind on this either.
It's amazing that the OHL, AHL, and WHL even have streaming subscriptions now.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

THe only problem is nhl, cause you can't watch it if your in the local area. Ex. can't watch flames if you live in calgary
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KOgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
nhl centre ice...and I can't imagine the nfl being left behind on this either.
Doesn't help local games though...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hdmi cord? Works great for me..
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Doesn't help local games though...
A VPN subscription service fixes that easily though. I agree though that its frustrating - the Jays home territory is ridiculous (all of Canada).
Old 11-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
A VPN subscription service fixes that easily though. I agree though that its frustrating - the Jays home territory is ridiculous (all of Canada).
Yeah I agree with this (and all the other sports leagues) and the market thing - i.e. can't watch your team in market. In baseball, for e.g., only getting blacked out of the Blue Jays games is almost a blessing - some areas in the US get blacked out I believe from 3-4 teams, which if they are all playing separate games that night...

I can't foresee a time when they don't charge an arm and a leg for this however - too much of a money maker for leagues.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I don't understand is why they want to black out regional viewers at all - other perhaps than the leagues won't share revenue on the subscriptions? (but even if that was the case, why allow out of market then). Maybe the regional broadcaster stands to make more off a cable subscription than any potential online subscription sharing?

Seems to me the online viewer is an awesome market to simsub advertising specifically for streaming audiences to - they are presumably younger, tech savvy, relatively affluent with high speed and decent computers, and yet they don't want these people consuming advertising via their chosen medium? It makes no sense to me.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Still a hassle. And depending on the viewer not always possible (ie Maple Leafs games are blacked out for a family member of mine, and there's no way he's got the technical know-how to use a VPN).
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #32
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Still a hassle. And depending on the viewer not always possible (ie Maple Leafs games are blacked out for a family member of mine, and there's no way he's got the technical know-how to use a VPN).
You can make it somewhat easier by having the VPN connection launch when you hit the streaming website, but I agree its a bit of a hassle. Getting more-so too; I had to disable location services for the Gamecenter Live app on my iPad otherwise it knew where i was regardless of the VPN - I wonder how long it will be until they make location services availability mandatory.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #33
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dumped my cable box a week ago. I stream video from my computer and iPad with Apple TV and AirPlay. I also use a VPN to access US Netflix and Hulu. Live sports is a bit of a problem sometimes - I can't find a watchable stream for today's CFL playoff games - but for the 'major' professional sports, with a VPN and a subscription service, one could watch a seasons worth of games for what I paid Telus for TV every month.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #34
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

One word of warning about the Boxee Box. Although initially it was great, more and more web sites and videos (even some on YouTube) no longer work due to an outdated version of Flash. I'm not sure of the exact details, but something to do with Adobe no longer providing a version for Linux, which is what the box runs on, and a lack of ability/motivation by the Boxee folks to fix it.

For Netflix and local files it still runs like a champ, but the future for web videos looks a bit bleak.

Lately I have been using Apple TV with my Mac to get whatever is on my screen to the TV via AirPlay Mirroring. It works really well and if you can view it on your screen, you can view it on your TV. On my other TV I just plug an HDMI cable into it.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: