Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default My mac is dead Update: Need Advice on a used Macbook

My PowerPC Imac G5 started shutting off on its own for no reason and then would not even power up. Turns out the Logic Board is shot and they want $700 plus tax and labour to replace it! I thought it would be much cheaper then that for an out of date Mac that is 5 years old. I am not working right now so I cannot afford that and I would not pay it anyhow, for that kind of coin I might as well shell out the bit extra to get an Intel based Mac. My question is if the Mac won't power up because the board is shot if I get a new Mac can I get my photos and stuff from my old hard drive?

Last edited by dissentowner; 07-27-2010 at 07:38 PM.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
My question is if the Mac won't power up because the board is shot if I get a new Mac can I get my photos and stuff from my old hard drive?
Almost certainly. Get an external enclosure, through the drive in that, and connect it to the new Mac, and you should have no issues pulling the data off.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
FlamingStuffedTiger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Should be fine: http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...153&tstart=135

~ Calvin & Hobbes ~
FlamingStuffedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamingStuffedTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
My PowerPC Imac G5 started shutting off on its own for no reason and then would not even power up. Turns out the Logic Board is shot and they want $700 plus tax and labour to replace it! I thought it would be much cheaper then that for an out of date Mac that is 5 years old. I am not working right now so I cannot afford that and I would not pay it anyhow, for that kind of coin I might as well shell out the bit extra to get an Intel based Mac. My question is if the Mac won't power up because the board is shot if I get a new Mac can I get my photos and stuff from my old hard drive?
Look on ebay or around the internet for a new motherboard? I don't know how common it is to find ones for that model.

Seems to be lots of parts auctions that are really cheap. You might luck out and the logic board works while something else (like the screen died or is missing).
http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trks...nkw=powerpc+g5

$30 for a board!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Apple-Power-Mac-G...item3caf525dce

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-27-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not a question of if your logic board will go, it's when.

Repair it yourself or have these guys do it.

http://www.badcaps.net/
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
It's not a question of if your logic board will go, it's when.

Repair it yourself or have these guys do it.

http://www.badcaps.net/

I have no clue how to do it and those guys look like they do PC, not Macs.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Thoughts and prayers go out to the dissentowner family. Thoughts and prayers.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this sound like a good deal? As far as I can find it is late 2006/early 2007 model. Keeping in mind I am working on a very tight budget, I can't afford to go new.

Three-year-old Macbook Pro, operating on Mac OS X Leopard.
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2GB 667 MHx DDR2 SDRAM Memory
160GB harddrive

Asking $300 or best offer. Reason for selling is I am buying a smaller computer for travelling.

Update: So I heard back from her and she told me that three of the corners are "smushed". She fell during winter and it was in her backpack and it took some cosmetic damage. She says it works fine though. Should I be scared?

Last edited by dissentowner; 07-27-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Does this sound like a good deal? As far as I can find it is late 2006/early 2007 model. Keeping in mind I am working on a very tight budget, I can't afford to go new.

Three-year-old Macbook Pro, operating on Mac OS X Leopard.
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2GB 667 MHx DDR2 SDRAM Memory
160GB harddrive

Asking $300 or best offer. Reason for selling is I am buying a smaller computer for travelling.

Update: So I heard back from her and she told me that three of the corners are "smushed". She fell during winter and it was in her backpack and it took some cosmetic damage. She says it works fine though. Should I be scared?
depends on the damage. take a look and see if it will spread.
I had a poor roommate in residence who dropped mine and it was OK for awhile but gradually got worse. Now the screen doesn't work and it's permanently tied to my desk.

But yes, it's a good deal. Check out the damage and see if it's something you can live with. Offer $200 because you weren't expecting damage and maybe you'll get it for $250.
What's it got for a graphics card?

Edit: Mine was a Macbook not a Pro. The aluminum case is stronger and is more than likely fine.

Last edited by Flames0910; 07-27-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just don't be like this guy...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no clue how to do it and those guys look like they do PC, not Macs.
They quoted me $85 US including shipping last year for mine. Still haven't done it yet though.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your mac died? Unfathomable.

I see Fanin80 is nowhere to be found... :-P
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I wouldn't pay $300 for that. It's too old, and if it's been dinged around then who knows how it's been treated. As you've just found out, Apple products are expensive to fix after warranty. Even looking at the specs makes me shudder. 667MHz RAM? eep. I get that you're looking for something cheap, but there has to be something better than that out there.

I'm sure you can find a newer white MacBook in the $400-$500 range that will last you a lot longer and perform a lot better than that one will.

Edit: If you're set on buying that one, though, the first thing you want to check is the battery. $300 for a MBP doesn't seem so awesome when you have to pay another $150 for a new battery. You can look up the battery stats in System Info app. Also, "acquire" a copy of the Apple Service Diagnostics tool and burn it to a disk. Ask her to let you run it, and it will test everything and tell you if something is about to fail or has failed or isn't working properly etc etc.

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-27-2010 at 10:07 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dissentowner was obviously just holding it wrong.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #15
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

ooh, good eye Fanin80. not sure how i missed that.

Don't buy it. SDRAM is older than the dinosaurs.

And yes - the battery is a good thing to check. Make sure the power chord isn't worn, especially around the magsafe plug. Those are expensive to replace as well.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #16
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Refurbished macs may be in your price range?

Macbooks from 849 last time i checked.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I may be willing to let me macbook go I am not giving it the love it needs and am thinking about getting into the ipad game. 2 years old 120 gb 1 gb ram I believe has had zagg shield on front and bottom since day one. Battery is 95 percent says that coconut app.

Last edited by fundmark19; 07-28-2010 at 08:53 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I wouldn't pay $300 for that. It's too old, and if it's been dinged around then who knows how it's been treated. As you've just found out, Apple products are expensive to fix after warranty. Even looking at the specs makes me shudder. 667MHz RAM? eep. I get that you're looking for something cheap, but there has to be something better than that out there.

I'm sure you can find a newer white MacBook in the $400-$500 range that will last you a lot longer and perform a lot better than that one will.

Edit: If you're set on buying that one, though, the first thing you want to check is the battery. $300 for a MBP doesn't seem so awesome when you have to pay another $150 for a new battery. You can look up the battery stats in System Info app. Also, "acquire" a copy of the Apple Service Diagnostics tool and burn it to a disk. Ask her to let you run it, and it will test everything and tell you if something is about to fail or has failed or isn't working properly etc etc.
Whats wrong with the 667mhz RAM? It’s a plastic macbook, they didn’t transition to 800mhz DDR3 until 2009.

Assuming the machine is in good shape, thats perfectly fine, and will probably be faster than the G5 its replacing.

My Mac Mini is a 2.0Ghz C2D with 2 gigs of the same RAM and its fine for surfing, email, Garageband recording, guitar amp modelling, and also functions as a full time EyeTV PVR and iTunes server, as well as a print server, and a file server for nightly SuperDuper backups of the other machines in the house.

The battery is really the only concern on that machine.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
ooh, good eye Fanin80. not sure how i missed that.

Don't buy it. SDRAM is older than the dinosaurs.

And yes - the battery is a good thing to check. Make sure the power chord isn't worn, especially around the magsafe plug. Those are expensive to replace as well.
What are you guys talking about??? It’s PC2-5300, same as every Core2 based Mac has used up until 2009!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok, so that one fell through, somebody else bought it before I could see it. Looking at this one tmrw night.

A white macbook for sale - $600 comes with:

2ghz intel core 2 duo
2gb ram (upgrade from original)
80gb hard drive (upgrade to a 320gb for $50 more)
wifi, bluetooth, 3+ hour battery life (for real, can get more than 5 without wifi on), power cable.
BRAND NEW KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD. This was just replaced by apple under warranty (due to manufacturing defect), so the keyboard and trackpad are brand new, have no wear, nothing ever spilled on them.

Has been a trusty laptop for school for the past couple years for me. Am leaving the country and need to sell. Is in good shape, no screen scratches or dead pixels. Some slight wear on outside, nothing major. Never dropped and no broken parts. Working perfect. Will come with a brand new install of snow leopard (newest mac OS - 10.6) no matter what hard drive is chosen along with iLife 2009.
Everything flies on this laptop and I am sad to see it go!

Thoughts? Good buy? I told him I wanted the other hard drive thrown in for the $600.