Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Help Connecting to a Third-Party VPN

Hey guys,

A bit of an obscure question but hopefully someone can suggest something.

I have been connecting to a client VPN and periodically they make updates that require a user's machine to have it's Anti-Virus up to date before allowing them to connect to the VPN (this has been magnified recently with WannaCry and other ransomware and malware cases).

Up until a few days ago I was able to connect to their VPN but now I see this error message:

I've repeatedly manually hit the Update Definitions button and it has the latest and greatest and the Windows Defender message is confusing because with AV it will turn off Real-Time Protection because you have a third-party AV software installed.

Here's what I've tried:

Uninstalling and re-installing the AV (along with updating the definitions and running a full scan with the AV)
Deleting all referencing the the client VPN from the temporary folders %appdata% (local and roaming)
Uninstalling the client VPN to force it re-install fresh after the fact
The client installs a host checker file which authenticates the AV and computer definitions which is when this error pops up which is why I deleted all lingering instances of this issue

I have Windows 10 64-Bit, Symantec Endpoint AV.

Any thoughts?
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't use Symantec, but your version number for Defender almost matches mine. I have 4.11.15063.0. Last update was 1:03 pm today. I've seen these policies get messed up in the past when lots of updates are happening, like they would have today. You may actually have a newer AV version than their system understands and it throws this error. Just a guess though, sorry.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I don't use Symantec, but your version number for Defender almost matches mine. I have 4.11.15063.0. Last update was 1:03 pm today. I've seen these policies get messed up in the past when lots of updates are happening, like they would have today. You may actually have a newer AV version than their system understands and it throws this error. Just a guess though, sorry.
It's just strange because I've been seeing this issue based off of whatever update they made on their end over the weekend.

So I've consistently been seeing this issue for the last 4 days and they seem unable to help or isolate the problem and I'm going at my wits end here.

Literally they're only suggestion is working on another laptop, as if that is a viable alternative (as if I have multiple laptops lying around for work purposes like this).
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote