Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
E.h
Draft Pick

Default I use Skullcandy Headphones but what about you?

Hey, I just picked some up for my Iphone and their great! They retailed for about $56 with tax and are well worth it, the sound quality is excellent and the bass is exceptional especially for a smaller set of stereo headphones.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-p-26.html This is the pair I own in case you are wondering.

Just thought I would ask what type of headphones you guys and gals use? Sony ? a Standard Ipod set? Other? And how they have performed according to your preferences.

(This is not a plug for Skullcandy Headphones, I am in no way employed or affiliated with them, I just really enjoy them I swear)
E.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I want something that's better than the ear buds and that has the mic and click feature, but that aren't ear canal types.. any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had Bose in ear headphone ($100-$130 range), and they were amazing. They sound great and are much more comfortable then most in ear headphones because they don't stuff in like earplugs.

Unfortunately they recently broke and sound is only coming out 1 side. I'm not sure if they are covered by any warrenty so I think I might be hooped. Nextime I spend $100+ on headphones I'm making sure I have a warrenty.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
E.h
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I want something that's better than the ear buds and that has the mic and click feature, but that aren't ear canal types.. any suggestions?

Hmm my buddy who often plays online shooters and the such just got a stereo pair that had those feature I believe they were a Microsoft brand, purchased at Best Buy for around $50 , I don't have a product name but I'll get back to you next time I'm in contact with him.

EDIT: He said that they broke on him very quickly but he got them replaced with these and loves them http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Razer-HP-1-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem. Not sure if its what your looking for but from what my friends has said they preform very well,

Last edited by E.h; 08-28-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I use Shure in ear buds. Good bass and clear sound for my ipod.
http://www.shurecanada.com/EN/Produc...dels/SE110.htm

Sometimes use a studio set of gel filled Sony's. Very old and heavy, but damn nice.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 08-28-2008 at 12:00 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
rockstar
Franchise Player

Exp:

E.h, I bought those exact headphones a few weeks ago from Best Buy, opened them, walked down the street two blocks, turned around, walked back and returned them. I thought they were awful.

They didn't fit snug to my head; instead they just sorta sat there. There was no tension on the headband which would keep them tight(er) against the side of yuor head. Maybe it's because of the fold-up capability; I'm not sure.

So what happened was that the headphones would fall off if I turned my head quickly, and it sounded like I was listening to AM radio.

So I picked up some Sony noise-canelling headphones from Future Shop (retailed at $86, but I showed the salesman a website that sold them for $50 so he sold them to me at $50). Actually now, I believe Future Shop has lowered the price of them to $50 everywhere. Thanks to me! (?) Maybe.

Great sounding headphones. Very comfortable, and good power for the price. The noise cancelling feature works pretty well, but it gives me a wierd headache only minutes after turning it on. Makes my neck ,head, and shoulders ache, if you can believe it. Good thing you don't need to have it on.

I do recommend them, though. I know most people don't get a headache from the noise-cancelling technology.

rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
E.h
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
E.h, I bought those exact headphones a few weeks ago from Best Buy, opened them, walked down the street two blocks, turned around, walked back and returned them. I thought they were awful.

They didn't fit snug to my head; instead they just sorta sat there. There was no tension on the headband which would keep them tight(er) against the side of yuor head. Maybe it's because of the fold-up capability; I'm not sure.

So what happened was that the headphones would fall off if I turned my head quickly, and it sounded like I was listening to AM radio.

So I picked up some Sony noise-canelling headphones from Future Shop (retailed at $86, but I showed the salesman a website that sold them for $50 so he sold them to me at $50). Actually now, I believe Future Shop has lowered the price of them to $50 everywhere. Thanks to me! (?) Maybe.

Great sounding headphones. Very comfortable, and good power for the price. The noise cancelling feature works pretty well, but it gives me a wierd headache only minutes after turning it on. Makes my neck ,head, and shoulders ache, if you can believe it. Good thing you don't need to have it on.

I do recommend them, though. I know most people don't get a headache from the noise-cancelling technology.

Well to be honest I have a rather large head so the do fit pretty snug I guess it does have a lot to do with the size of your ears , head etc.

Nice! I heard those a pretty damn good.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post

Sometimes use a studio set of gel filled Sony's. Very old and heavy, but damn nice.
I use these as well, great headphones
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.h View Post
Hmm my buddy who often plays online shooters and the such just got a stereo pair that had those feature I believe they were a Microsoft brand, purchased at Best Buy for around $50 , I don't have a product name but I'll get back to you next time I'm in contact with him.

EDIT: He said that they broke on him very quickly but he got them replaced with these and loves them http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Razer-HP-1-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem. Not sure if its what your looking for but from what my friends has said they preform very well,
Ah sorry I meant still in the ear kind, but not ear canal. I've got a couple of great headphones for gaming and music listening.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post

So those Shure ones, are they just normal ear buds or do they actually fit into the ear canal?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got Sennheiser earbuds, which are fine, nothing special, for when I'm out. At home, I have a pair of Grado SR60s that I love. They're an amazing quality but relatively inexpensive.

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Someday though, I hope to own one of Grado's high-end, mahogony wood chambered
models.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
E.h
Draft Pick

Quote:
Ah sorry I meant still in the ear kind, but not ear canal. I've got a couple of great headphones for gaming and music listening.
No problem at all my friend but I'm sorry to say my knowledge of those specific type of headphones is very limited.

But to offer up my opinion on the Shure headphones that were mentioned, I have also heard good things from not only word of mouth but directly from them, the bass was some what lacking for me but the overall quality was solid, not a lot of the crackle you sometimes get with cheaper brands and they felt pretty comfortable even thou they were a ear canal set.

I hope I helped just a little bit
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...12&catid=10036

^^ My babies. Beautiful sound! Hella-comfortable!

Bought them two years ago. Still sound as good today, and I listen to my shiz LOUD.

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-28-2008 at 01:17 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10067665&catid=

Bought these ones yesterday so I can play games or watch TV without waking up my roommate. So far so good
Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
So those Shure ones, are they just normal ear buds or do they actually fit into the ear canal?
Well, they do go into the ear passage, then don't rely on you wedging them in the ear to keep them in like oem ipod buds. The optional foam piece is nice and works exactly the same as those disposable foam hearing protection you find in a shop. Have to squeeze it, insert it into the passage, then the foam expands and creates a nice tight seal.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
photon

Exp:

Hrm.. I've tried a whole bunch of ones that go into the canal and I've never found one that is comfortable. Hence the desire to find something like the oem earbuds but better.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I really like the shure ear buds. Maybe a little lacking on the bass, but easily the most comfortable buds I've ever used. The material is a foam, so it feels just like you're putting in ear plugs. They expand in your ear and seal off the noise from the outside world. Love 'em. They came with the rubber tips as well if you'd rather those over the "earplug" style.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

I have the bose in-ear buds.
They are awesome!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish there was a way to try these things out before you buy them. I, apparently, have oddly-shaped ears. There hasn't been a single pair of buds that I've owned in the last 10 years that have fit properly or comfortably. Even if I sit absolutely still, the damn things still fall out. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I have an iPod nano. I listen to it on the bus and that's about it. I'd like to listen to it when I exercise but I can't because buds won't stay where they are supposed to. I don't need expensive or fancy ear phones but would like something that fits nicely/comfortably, doesn't suck too much and are relatively inexpensive. Despite how attractive those Shure buds look (and no matter how many good things I hear about them), I don't think I can justify that price tag for what I intend to do with them.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by fredr123; 08-28-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: subject and verb did not agree
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #20
photon

Exp:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=488

Something like that that's still portable but has an around the ear component to hold them in place?

I'm sure there's other ones that are cheaper.

As for trying them out I agree, though places like FS and Best Buy have return policies so that you can at least return them if you don't like them.