Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #41
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Have you tried calling Tech support? I did yesterday and apparently it was a reprogramming error. I haven't gotten a chance to see if it works fully now. But before only one TV would fully work and the other two would have a black screen. If it did happen to work, changing channels on one tv would cause the other tv to not work. I think I have had tech support come in over 5+ times and the problem keeps popping up.

For anyone out there, stay away from Telus! Their tech support is horrid it is not even funny. The people on the phone sound much more knowledgeable than the people that come to your house. Even that, I had 3 different techs come in and wire it differently calling the other tech a ######. So when my contract is over I'm switching ASAP. I'm even tempted to cancel early and suck up the costs and actually enjoy having consistent cable
Yes I'v had Telus come look at it about 4 times and like you said every support guy calls the previous one a ######, and nothing ever gets fixed.

I really don't blame the techs though since Telus is providing them with the technology that is made to fail.

The thing about Telus tv is that I really like how everything works except for the freexing part which of course is a huge issue, but without the freezing issue Telus is a lot better than Shaw IMO.

They offered to switch me over to Telus sattlelite for the same price, but I'm still deciding if I want another dish on my roof.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #42
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Telus has re-branded its IP TV service as Telus Optik TV.

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv/

I'm pretty much tired of Bell and like the looks of the PVR anywhere feature.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #43
thinkaboutit
Draft Pick

Default Be careful with telus TV

I've had Telus TV for one year now. The only thing I like is the variety of stations. The price is low enough to have brought me over from Shaw. The poor network service is what will probably have me go back to Shaw.

The system freezes - frequently - and yes, daily. The system will not let you change back to the original or different channel. So, that means if you want to be watching more than one game, you can expect to miss the last play of a game, or an important play, if you merely change channels.

Their solution? Reboot the TV which takes 10 minutes, or longer.
If you want this low priced TV option, then think about what it would feel like to have to do this once a day, sometimes less, and sometimes more. But guaranteed, you will frequently be unable to change the channel back. This has been a problem for over 4 years.

(I've heard that Shaw digital also freezes up. So, I'm not sure what the gurus/execs are doing in this industry. Sounds like products are being launched too quickly by everyone. I'm sure the techies care about delivering quality, but I wonder about the execs.) Maybe I'll have to return to basic cable service - like what has been offered for the last 40 years - just so that my expectations are met.)

Final note, I have this packaged with Wireless internet. (They couldn't provide a DSL line since they would have had to pull up too much carpet during installation - and I now have six boxes with 6 plug ins to run wireless internet to one computer and cable to ONLY one TV. I wonder if they also own the power company). I only get the functionality of Lite DSL. If the TV is on, and I'm using the internet in my office at the same time, the speed slows down further. Ah, its like running a 386 in 1993. Just when we thought it should get better....

I have one year left on a contract, so I'm waiting to see if they can improve this - while I wait for the channel to change.

Remember, you get what you pay for. I wonder if the dollar store will be selling the same service in the near future?.....
thinkaboutit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #44
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkaboutit View Post
The only thing I like is the variety of stations.
OK, I'll bite. What stations do they carry that Bell and Shaw don't?

I was under the impression they had the fewest.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #45
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
OK, I'll bite. What stations do they carry that Bell and Shaw don't?

I was under the impression they had the fewest.
Not sure what the OP was driving at either, but in the 4 (painful, disappointing and infuriating) months that I used TelusTV, they offered me all the same channels that Shaw does. Can't comment on Bell.....haven't used them for a long time.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #46
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Mediaroom service is light years ahead of the older boxes. Like puckluck my old boxes would freeze up for about 5 minutes at a time 1 or 2 times a day. The channel you were on or the recording you were watching would continue to play but any commands input would not be registered. When the box unfroze all the commands you entered while the box was frozen would then be carried out in order. The Mediaroom boxes eliminate that problem entirely. The boxes are also much quicker now in the menus and channel changing is instant. The entire layout and functionality is very similar to the Vista and Win7 versions of Windows Media Center. The PVR anywhere feature is the best thing since sliced bread and I can't see myself ever going to a provider that lacks that feature. Literally every issue I ever had with Telus TV has been solved with the new service. The biggest downside is internet speed. Telus is never going to be as fast as Shaw plain and simple. The TV does take away from the bandwidth. If all TV's are off I can get 16-17 megabits/second. If all services are in use 2HD streams 1SD stream then I get between 4 and 5 megabits/second. Overall I am quite happy with the service but for those of you who do have the older Telus TV service I certainly understand your frustrations.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #47
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just switched over from Shaw Direct to Telus Optik TV. I'm very impressed with the Media Room, PVR functionality, guide etc. It will take a while to get comfortable with the new channel numbers but that will come.

The only disappointment is the lack of a UHF remote and NFL Network. I'd prefer not to open the door on my cabinet every time I want to watch it - but for difference in service, price and functionality.. it's worth it.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #48
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Just switched over from Shaw Direct to Telus Optik TV. I'm very impressed with the Media Room, PVR functionality, guide etc. It will take a while to get comfortable with the new channel numbers but that will come.

The only disappointment is the lack of a UHF remote and NFL Network. I'd prefer not to open the door on my cabinet every time I want to watch it - but for difference in service, price and functionality.. it's worth it.
Just wait till it freezes 3-5 times a day and then come tell us how you like it.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #49
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

puckluck do you have the Mediaroom service or the older service? I had freezing problems with the old service but since getting the upgrade to Mediaroom there hasn't been so much as a stutter let alone freezing.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #50
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
puckluck do you have the Mediaroom service or the older service? I had freezing problems with the old service but since getting the upgrade to Mediaroom there hasn't been so much as a stutter let alone freezing.
I've got the media room. I haven't tried the old service as I got Telus about 2 months ago and they gave me the media room right away. I've said it before and I'll say it again Telus is way better than Shaw IMO if only they can fix this freezing problem. The service guy for Telus said the only way to fix it is to run a wire directly from my modem to the receiver, but that would require the wires to be on my walls which is out of the question.

I'm still deciding if I want a free upgrade to Telus sattlelite.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #51
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
I've got the media room. I haven't tried the old service as I got Telus about 2 months ago and they gave me the media room right away. I've said it before and I'll say it again Telus is way better than Shaw IMO if only they can fix this freezing problem. The service guy for Telus said the only way to fix it is to run a wire directly from my modem to the receiver, but that would require the wires to be on my walls which is out of the question.

I'm still deciding if I want a free upgrade to Telus sattlelite.
How'd you manage to score the free upgrade to Satellite?

Maybe I'll try to call in. I've had over 7 technicians come in and try to fix my freezing TV. The last guy finally did something right and the TV works great. Although, I do like this new media room thing they have. If I call in they might make me extend my contract first... and I'm not so sure I want to do that.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #52
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
How'd you manage to score the free upgrade to Satellite?

Maybe I'll try to call in. I've had over 7 technicians come in and try to fix my freezing TV. The last guy finally did something right and the TV works great. Although, I do like this new media room thing they have. If I call in they might make me extend my contract first... and I'm not so sure I want to do that.
The last technician that came by called customer service for me and told them he could not do nothing to fix the problem and I was going to cancel if I never got a free upgrade to sattlelite.

If only they would let the technician run the wires from the outside then there would be no problem, but for some reason Telus doesn't allow that with cable and only sattlelite.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #53
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody with Telus Satellite TV? It looks like I'm done with Bell after 3 years. They offered me 30% off my total bill and a free PVR rental last year, but now that year is up. The best they want to give me now is 10% off, which in essence is a $30 a month increase. I gather that Telus is just reselling Bell's TV services so programming wont change, but Telus customer service for me has always been miles ahead of Bell's. I can probably save better than 10% as well by bundling my internet and tv. I can't get Shaw or Telus IP TV where I live, so my only options are Bell or Telus (Bell)

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #54
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, Telus Sat TV is simply Bell with a black and green menu.

What I heard from friends looking to switch from Bell is that Telus couldn't discount the Sat prices and undercut Bell as part of the agreement - but that may not be the actual facts.

After about a month with Telus Optik, I am still happy with it and I know it's only going to get better.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #55
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got a call from Telus talking about the new Optik stuff they have going on. Sounded good from them of course, but I do need to do some more research.

My first HD programming was with Bell about 4-5 years ago and got a killer deal on a 1 year rental package. Then after that, Shaw offered the old "Free PVR if you come to us from the competition" package.

Now I can get 1 PVR to run the 3 TV's in the house...sounds intriguing. Telus has definitely picked up there game compared to a year or two ago
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #56
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had Telus optik now for about 3 weeks. I really like it so far, the only issue is one reciever doesnt get the same channels as the other one (sports)
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #57
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

i just hooked my xbox up to the pvr in the front room into the network slot and now I dont need to buy a wireless adapter for the xbox!! Awesome!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #58
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
I have had Telus optik now for about 3 weeks. I really like it so far, the only issue is one reciever doesnt get the same channels as the other one (sports)
they do that?

different receivers get different packages?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #59
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
they do that?

different receivers get different packages?
Sounds like a glitch
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #60
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I had to reset the one reciever, only problem i've had