Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Telus TV?

Thinking of getting telus TV as there is a real good deal with the receiver. Is it good or is shaw better?
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

when i worked for telus, they had it in the break room. I hated it. It was awkward to navigate, slow and just plain ugly. That was several years ago, and i think it was before it was even released to the public, so i'm sure there have been improvements over the years. Thats about all I can tell you from my perspective.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ighlight=telus
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #4
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
when i worked for telus, they had it in the break room. I hated it. It was awkward to navigate, slow and just plain ugly. That was several years ago, and i think it was before it was even released to the public, so i'm sure there have been improvements over the years. Thats about all I can tell you from my perspective.
From what I've seen it hasn't changed.

CONS
  • No function buttons on the set top box. If you lose the remote you can't even turn the power off.
  • There are bandwidth issues. 2 TV's and the DL on your internet is affected.
  • Must be a Telus user for all products, phone, internet,tv.
  • CONTRACTS!!!!!
  • No HD
PROs
  • MyTelus guide thing, potential for something greater, like ordering pizza from your TV.
  • Some of the channel bundles can be more appealing.
  • there may be more
When I looked into it there wasn't a price difference between Telus and Shaw. However there was a huge difference in product especially the internet and phone, and reliability.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 01-15-2008 at 01:32 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flueryisgod View Post
Thanks, I was looking for this thread and couldn't seem to get the search option to work for me.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been looking into this as well.

A few more Pro's;

~ Telus TV does have HD, in certain area's of Calgary HD has been released. However I am in the deep South and its not available as of yet.

~ No additional Cables or no new boxes are required for HD. When the service is available a Telus rep will need to come to your home and reprogram the box.

~ Telus has 25 HD Channels.

~ I have been to the Telus Outlet and the Picture looks fine, it looks no different than Bell ExpressVu or Shaw.

~ There is no lag to switch channels for Telus or Bell or Shaw.

Cons

~ To get a free box, a contract is required. (i.e. 1 box = 1 year, 2 boxes = 2 years).

~ Maximum amount of boxes is two, they told me Telus has plans to upgrade this but no firm timetable was available. I currently have Bell and they have the same problem.

~ Its a new service, I would guess there will be growing pains.

I have Bell ExpressVu and the Monthly costs would be similair for the Channels I have. However Telus package with HD is much better. Bell requires a new receiver and additional Cables to be installed where Telus does not require anything.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

~ Maximum amount of boxes is two, they told me Telus has plans to upgrade this but no firm timetable was available. I currently have Bell and they have the same problem.
I have bell and I have 3 HD PVR Dual turner receivers so 6 feeds coming into my house no problem...

Peronsally I would never go Telus anything. Shaw and Bell would be my only two options...I would go phone/tv/internet less if I had to deal with Telus.

Last edited by HOOT; 01-15-2008 at 08:36 AM.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Bell requires a new receiver and additional Cables to be installed where Telus does not require anything.
I really think there is something missing in what you are saying there. If TelusTV uses the same cables for SDTV as HDTV, then I doubt it is really HDTV. HD requires component or HDMI cables- so either you were already using higher end cables than what you need, or you aren't getting true HD to your TV.

If you were talking about the cable that runs from your electrical panel to the receiver, then you are also mistaken as when I went to HD I used the same cable as when I was just running SD.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have Telus (I have Bell ExpressVu), I was looking to see if I bundled my internet, phone and Cable together would I save anything? Which I am still investigating.....

As for HDTV this is what the Telus rep said. I spoke to him for awhile and he confirmed the existing Telus receiver is also HD compatible. It only requires an upgrade with its software. The installation process when Telus is installed is complexed process (they quoted 2-4 hours). A Telus rep has to do the initial installation and once its installed it is HDTV compatible. When the software is upgraded.

As for Bell, to clarify its my understanding there is no way to have three TV's to watch different shows at the same time with one Dish.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for Bell, to clarify its my understanding there is no way to have three TV's to watch different shows at the same time with one Dish.
If you had all the receivers and proper switches you could have TEN different feeds, watch 10 different channels, on 1 dish with Bell. Really if it wasn't for the Bell policy you could have more on one dish, but who has more than 10 TV's?

So who ever told you only two TV's does not have a clue what they are talking about.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
If you had all the receivers and proper switches you could have TEN different feeds, watch 10 different channels, on 1 dish with Bell. Really if it wasn't for the Bell policy you could have more on one dish, but who has more than 10 TV's?

So who ever told you only two TV's does not have a clue what they are talking about.
Thanks, my Dish has two feeds was not aware there were Dishes with 4 feeds available. Ideally I would like three receivers at some point.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, my Dish has two feeds was not aware there were Dishes with 4 feeds available. Ideally I would like three receivers at some point.

It would just depend on which receivers you have right now and would be adding. If you have or are adding HD you would need a 4X4 switch, which is included with the 9200 or 9242. If all three are just SD receivers you would need a 2X4 switch.

I have two friends who bought a duplex together, they run 8 TV's off one dish. It just took a bit to figure out how we wanted to do the wiring.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
If all three are just SD receivers you would need a 2X4 switch.
Just to add to that- you can run a 4X4 switch with just the 2 feeds coming off the satellite. Just don't plug anything into the inputs for the 2nd satellite. I did that back in the day when I had 3 SD receivers; before getting HD.

Also, going to move this into the "Tech Talk" section.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, I did a quick check on the Bell website and they have a pretty decent offer for the HDTV PVR. I believe the HDTV Package and Installation is free and they would give the subscriber $225 worth of credits. Assuming a person bought the PVR.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

it's great having competition in the market. That being said, telus lost my support a long time ago. Everybody has a telus screw-over story, so I won't bother you with mine.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #16
gemaster
Draft Pick

Default Good experience switching to Telus tv

Howdy! Sorry to bump an old thread! My first post also so be gently on me!! I was googling around on telus and found this page/forum.

Anyways, I do live in Vancouver and will mention about Telus. I did up a telus tv review, which I'm just putting together now. Give me a couple days to finish it off. Basically, I went from Shaw to Telus. There is a huge savings btw getting one provider. Kicking myself in the arse for paying for 2 different companies for years. Anyways, just wanted to mention that it was well worth my while switching to Telus tv. Like I said I'll have my review up in a couple days. Cheers!

--
Graham
Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Telus is going to start distributing Bell TV (satellite) in Alberta and BC to go along with their TV service. Maybe there is a merger on the horizon and maybe we'll be able to get a break by bundling our bills.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106453
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

OK so I just moved in to my new place, and my conundrum is this: I prefer Shaw, but for a Digital Cable + Internet bundle they want about $95/mo vs Telus' $60/mo. Plus, with Telus I get the free wireless built in to the modem.

For the experienced people here, is it worth $35 extra to have Shaw? I am not going HD yet, just digital.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
OK so I just moved in to my new place, and my conundrum is this: I prefer Shaw, but for a Digital Cable + Internet bundle they want about $95/mo vs Telus' $60/mo. Plus, with Telus I get the free wireless built in to the modem.

For the experienced people here, is it worth $35 extra to have Shaw? I am not going HD yet, just digital.
I had Telus TV for the last 2 years. If prices were equal I would go with shaw..their picture quality will be better, and you're not tied into a contract.

However, that $35/month is a pretty big savings. If you get the channels you need with Telus, I don't see a reason not to go with them. Picture quality isn't always great but if you are on a standard definition TV its probably not too bad. All comes down to need. For someone who watches a lot of tv I wouldn't recommend Telus TV, but it gets the job done for those a little less particular about things.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #20
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post

Do you care about Internet speed? Shaw is so much faster than Telus it's not even funny. Think Usain Bolt vs anyone else right now.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post: