Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Can anyone help my out with Computer Speakers/Sound Cards

What I'm looking for are surround sound computer speakers that could potentially be used with the next-gen gaming consoles as well.

I've done a bit of looking around, but it's hard to determine what speakers are good for what I'm going to be using them for.

It will be primarily for PC gaming with bit of music, and hardly any movies. The gaming would be the first and foremost concern. I know some speakers come with adapters to work with the gaming consoles, but some of them only work with 2 speakers. I don't know if there's many that can use all the speakers in that scenario, but it would be ideal if they could.

My sound card is aging as well so it's probably in my best interest to replace it as well - there's no sense getting great new speakers if my sound card sucks.

What I'm looking for is suggestions and things I should be looking out for. I'm willing to spend a bit of money on this so that's not a huge issue.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

i know that costco south has got a nice set of logitech speakers discounted down to $50, some sort of 5.1 setup, forget the model number though...
Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is the console right next to the PC? I.e. would you be able to connect the console to the soundcard and run the console sound that way?

Reason I ask is if a console has surround sound it's encoded in some way, and speakers can't decode that themselves.. so you either need a module that will decode the surround sound on the speakers, or some PC soundcards will also decode surround.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/xbox/105spherex/

That set has got great reviews and has the decoding built into the speakers so you don't have to have your soundcard decode it.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is the console right next to the PC? I.e. would you be able to connect the console to the soundcard and run the console sound that way?

Reason I ask is if a console has surround sound it's encoded in some way, and speakers can't decode that themselves.. so you either need a module that will decode the surround sound on the speakers, or some PC soundcards will also decode surround.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/xbox/105spherex/

That set has got great reviews and has the decoding built into the speakers so you don't have to have your soundcard decode it.
No, the console would be in another room.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
photon

Exp:

Yeah then those Spherex ones would be idea, they'll take the 5.1 that comes from your PC fine, and if you hook them up to the console they'll decode the Dolby or DTS for 5.1 on the console games.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those sound like a good option, but are they compatible with the Wii and PS3? I only have a Wii thus far and am debating between a 360 and PS3 next year.

Also, do you know of anything similar that doesn't have the Xbox logo plastered all over it?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
photon

Exp:

Heh even with the logo these review quite well. And it should be compatible with the Wii and PS3 as well, though not sure if the Wii even has surround sound.

There's probably others out there that have a built in decoder, Logitech has some good speakers too so maybe check their website out.

Dell has a set of speakers on today:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

They seem to have a decoder built in as well.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Heh even with the logo these review quite well. And it should be compatible with the Wii and PS3 as well, though not sure if the Wii even has surround sound.

There's probably others out there that have a built in decoder, Logitech has some good speakers too so maybe check their website out.

I've actually had these 5500 for a couple of years. I really like them a lot. The sub-woofer does a heck of a job.

I have my PC and my PS2 hooked up to it.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm leaning towards Logitech. I looked at some reviews on Amazon and Logitech's are seem to be very positive.

I was actually looking at the speakers on Dell's Days of Deals earlier today on Amazon and might just have to go for them at over 40% off.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm going to go with those speakers. They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for based on everything I've read.

My only concern is what time the deal is good for. Obviously it's only today, but what time? I don't have my credit card with me at work for some reason, but I'm sure the deal will still be valid in a couple of hours, right?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
I'm going to go with those speakers. They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for based on everything I've read.

My only concern is what time the deal is good for. Obviously it's only today, but what time? I don't have my credit card with me at work for some reason, but I'm sure the deal will still be valid in a couple of hours, right?
Every Dell deal I've seen has been good all day or until they sell out.

That is a good deal, and the fact that there is no shipping (the sub-woofer is really heavy) makes it a great deal.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
photon

Exp:

Yeah the deal should be valid until midnight eastern time or so, but they sometimes do sell out early.