Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jankowski vs Bennett - Battle for the #3C?

Just a topic to kick around in the middle of a deadly (figuratively) heat wave.

It's not secret Bennett didn't have the strongest year at centre last year. I'm not terribly concerned about that, he's still very young and centre is a hard position to learn. I don't think you necessarily see the fruits of that education while it's going on. Bennett has to be preparing this summer to take that step and become an elite 3rd line centre, because he's got a guy on his tail who seems to have been preparing for that role for the last five years.

Setting aside all the Feaster hyperbole, the Flames have a big, long, 210+lb centreman who distributes the puck well, has deft hands, great defensive awareness, and is a faceoff man to boot. After rather glacial progressions his first couple NCAA seasons, I was concerned Jankowski would be the sort of player who takes a year to acclimate to a new level. I was thrilled to see him become the Heat's best offensive player, and I bet the extra year in college did his development a world of good. It's difficult to argue that he's not a more polished centre ice man than Bennett at this stage of his career.

This, to me, is THE battle to watch at camp. You have Matt Stajan for one more year - for his production and intangibles, he's going to be your fourth line centre, and he's going to teach Curtis Lazar how to make $28 million dollars scoring 30 points every three or four years while being a terrific human being. If Bennett comes to camp and blows the doors off everyone, then Jankowski starts in Stockton, and gets the first forward injury recall.

But if Jankowski wins the gig, you can kick Bennett up to the top line. You can, and you do. This is why it's really important not to overpay Ferland. I have watched the AC videos. I love Ferly. He is a big guy crashing the net playing with elite players. He's got some skills. He doesn't have Bennett's skills. I understand you want to keep Bennett as a centre, but you're about to extend Backlund and Monahan is here for another six years. The top two centre positions are cemented. If Jankowski is a better shutdown centre than Bennett, which he physically should be, take the offensive boost and let Sam do his thing on the wing.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Jankowski-Ferland
Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer
Hamilton

Everyone slots in where they belong.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Jankowski is the real deal, I agree, they should move Bennett to the wing permanently. Monahan-Backlund (assuming extension)-Jankowski is fantastic Center depth. Getting Bennett on the wing with players not named Chiasson/Bouma will help him immensely and I salivate at the thought of that top line if everything clicks for Bennett this year.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Just a topic to kick around in the middle of a deadly (figuratively) heat wave.

It's not secret Bennett didn't have the strongest year at centre last year. I'm not terribly concerned about that, he's still very young and centre is a hard position to learn. I don't think you necessarily see the fruits of that education while it's going on. Bennett has to be preparing this summer to take that step and become an elite 3rd line centre, because he's got a guy on his tail who seems to have been preparing for that role for the last five years.
Bit off topic but two things held Bennett back last year:

1) Troy Brouwer
2) "Bad Luck" aka low shooting percentage and save percentage in the times on the ice away from Brouwer.

First off Brouwer was a black hole for everybody he played with last season - and this probably impacted Bennett more than anyone else last year.

Bennett W/ Brouwer:

TOI: 376:45 minutes
GF%: 42.9
Sh%: 7.74%
Sv:% .921
CF%: 44.4%

Bennett W/Out Brouwer:
TOI: 604.42 minutes
GF%: 35.7
Sh%: 5.45%
Sv:% .892
CF%: 51.7%

Bennett 15/16
TOI: 970.05 minutes
GF%: 48.72
Sh%: 8.44%
Sv:% .916
CF%: 48.78%

So when he was on the Ice with Brouwer they got caved in from a possession perspective, but once he was away from Brouwer he had a very strong CF% OF 51.7% (which would actually be good enough for 7th on the team just ahead of Gaudreau.

On top of that an even bigger problem that Bennett ran into last season was that his on-ice Shooting percentage (6.28%) ranked 4th last on the team, and his on-ice save percentage (90.53) ranked 2nd last on the team. Both signs of not having the best luck last year.

For example if those percentages were the same in 16/17 as they were in the 15/16 season it would have resulted in:

- 9 more goals for scored with Bennett on the ice 5v5
- 7 fewer goals against scored with Bennett on the ice 5v5

Meaning instead of being a -16 last year, he would have had an even +/-.

Overall I don't disagree with your sentiment here. With Jankowski, Lazar, Stajan all able to play center in the NHL next season it provides the Flames with some Flexibility to move Bennett to wing if they want to load up the top line.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames seem very committed to letting Bennett develop at center - so I don't see them moving him from the third line C spot.

Jankowski is more likely to displace Stajan on the fourth line C spot, and have Stajan play the wing. That is how I would expect the coming season to start at least.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Bennett progressed nicely. His first half was a little rough but his defensive game in particular improved as the year wore on. Give him competent linemates and he'll have a much better upcoming season. Which sort of brings me to my next point..

I'd actually like to see Jankowski play on the left side with Backlund and Frolik this season, allow him to get acclimated to the NHL game on the wing first and learn from our two best two-way forwards in the process. Doing this would allow Tkachuk to slot in on Bennett's left wing, giving Bennett a real weapon and make for a very un-fun line to play against for our opponents.

At the season's conclusion you can evaluate Bennett's progress and Jankowski's first year and then revisit the centre question. I still think Jankowski at centre and Bennett on the wing might be the better option in the future, but Bennett should get a longer look first.

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 07-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett is more dangerous on the wing...JUST DO IT!!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Bennett on the wing. It seems to suit his abilities better.

I can't recall Stajan ever playing wing.

I would love to see F.Hamilton make the team this year as well as he is dynamite on faceoffs.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out at camp. I love Stajan, but I can't help but think his time is up soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see him buried.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I've been saying for a long time now that I would love to see either

Gaudreau Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik

(Bennett is future Gilmour Jr, and Gilmour Sr was C/RW)

or

Tkachuk Monahan Gaudreau
Frolik Backlund Bennett

(Gaudreau dominates on the right side on USA teams, no reason not to try it here)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Jankowski wins a spot at C in the lineup, it will be Stajan's, not Bennett's.

I think the more likely scenario is that Jankowski starts on the wing.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think Jankowski is pure C, and I would rather him playing pro C in the AHL for another year than W in the NHL.

Of course what I think is largely irrelevant vs reality, but hey.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I've been saying for a long time now that I would love to see either

Gaudreau Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik

(Bennett is future Gilmour Jr, and Gilmour Sr was C/RW)

or

Tkachuk Monahan Gaudreau
Frolik Backlund Bennett

(Gaudreau dominates on the right side on USA teams, no reason not to try it here)

I don't recall Doug Gilmour ever playing anywhere but center.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Given Treliving's comments at development camp, he's apparently not done tinkering with the line-up.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is not like Bennett moves ahead of Johnny or Tkachuk as LW so no benefit moving him to the wing unless he can play his off wong
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #14
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

GG said last week on the FAN that they were committed to keeping Bennett at the centre position. With that said, I can see either Janko playing the 4th line centre position or starting the season with the Flames on the wing. I would love to see him play with Backlund and Frolik but that does break up the 3M line.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Id say let janko start on the wing
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameyMcFlameFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised that they are still trying to play and develop Bennett at center.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Janko should play center, he is as center as any center ever centered. Bennett can move to the wing, he's not a great center anyways.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski will play wing for the first year. Don't think there's much chance they move Bennett after all their talk
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if Bennett isn't a full-time #3C for the Flames this season, Stajan's more likely to be bumped into the role to start. I think Jankowski makes it to the NHL as a regular this season, but perhaps not to start the season.

I think this season will be telling as to whether the Flames see Bennett as a C long-term or as a wing long-term.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #20
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG said in last weeks interview that as of right now he sees the center depth as:

Monahan
Backlund
Bennett
Stajan

With Lazar and Hamilton also able to play the position, and Jankowski an up and comer.

Said too many centers is a great problem to have, a lot easier to have a center play the wing than to have a winger move to center.

The only two in my eyes that are undoubtedly cemented as centers right now are Monahan and Backlund. Bennett and Stajan IMO have the inside track on the next two center spots, but it wouldn't shock me to see either guy play wing if either Lazar or Jankowski prove to be better options.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: