Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #21
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome as always. I love the ubiquitous AC in place of the network logos haha...

Ferland is a very unique player. He reminds me of Cam Neely (though not in his league yet).
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #22
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now you've done it....
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #23
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goal against LA is still one of my favourites from last year. Blows up Muzzin in the corner and then an absolute rocket past Bishop.

I also like how AC included some of his passes; the assist total is pretty low but if Johnny had converted a few of those it would have been higher. Ferland is obviously known for his hitting and shot/release, but he's a decent passer as well.

And with the exception of his assist on the Wideman goal (who just got out of the penalty box), I believe all of those highlights were 5-on-5.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #24
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The goal against LA is still one of my favourites from last year. Blows up Muzzin in the corner and then an absolute rocket past Bishop.

I also like how AC included some of his passes; the assist total is pretty low but if Johnny had converted a few of those it would have been higher. Ferland is obviously known for his hitting and shot/release, but he's a decent passer as well.

And with the exception of his assist on the Wideman goal (who just got out of the penalty box), I believe all of those highlights were 5-on-5.
Not many PP points due to lack of opportunity, since Gully always rolled Brouwer out with the 1st unit. I really hated that all year long. Hopefully Ferland gets more 1st unit minutes in 2017/18.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #25
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Not many PP points due to lack of opportunity, since Gully always rolled Brouwer out with the 1st unit. I really hated that all year long. Hopefully Ferland gets more 1st unit minutes in 2017/18.
Or even Tkachuk up on the 1st unit. Both Ferland and Tkachuk are more skilled than Brouwer and can provide the net front presence for the PP. We need less Brouwer and more Tkachuk, Ferland and Bennett.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #26
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Or even Tkachuk up on the 1st unit. Both Ferland and Tkachuk are more skilled than Brouwer and can provide the net front presence for the PP. We need less Brouwer and more Tkachuk, Ferland and Bennett.
Totally agree. I wouldn't mind Tkachuk on the 1st unit, with Johnny playing on the off wing or trying to find open ice around the slot.

If Tkachuk were promoted to the 1st unit, hopefully Ferlund would still be with the 2nd unit most of the time, giving the Backs/Frolik duo a bit of the bite they would otherwise lose with MT's promotion.

Last edited by Macindoc; 07-06-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #27
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gotta love him

Blows up Stone in Part 1.
Fights Auston Watson to stick up for Stone in Part 2
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #28
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If they continue to want Brodie and Versteeg on the first unit, I wouldn't mind seeing:

PP1
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Brodie-Versteeg

PP2
Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk
Gio-Hamilton

I'd also be very interested in seeing the following:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Backlund-Hamilton
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #29
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A huge thanks to AC again for the work he does. CP is so lucky to have him as a fan of the Flames. Cheers to AC!
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
Hugely underrated speed from Ferland and this video really shows that. You never feel like he can't keep up with Johnny and Monny which has been the problem with a lot of wingers who get time with those two.
It's not the speed, it's the IQ. He reads give-and-gos, cycles, and even simple point-resets very well.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I like about Ferland is that he's not in awe of the two stars he's playing with. Too many players change their game when promoted but not Ferland.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #32
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people think they need to find a top line RW again? They've already got one.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #33
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post

Yeah, and I thought I was the only one super choked at watching this.
Ferland has always been the RW we've needed right under 2 coaches noses.

He's got it all and the fact he can bust heads when he wants.

For the love of 8 lb 3 oz baby Jesus please just play him on the 1st line 1st power play unit Glen.

If anyone else can step up and fill all the roles he plays then by all means put them in his spot.....until then Brouwer isn't getting it done Ffs.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #34
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think the reason that Gully rolls out Brouwer is because of his handedness - shoots right. Even though Ferland plays RW, he shoots left. It's especially important when you're trying to open up lanes and setup properly for one-timers on the PP. Not that I'm saying that Ferland wouldn't be better on the first unit, but there's some logic there from a handedness perspective.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #35
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
I think the reason that Gully rolls out Brouwer is because of his handedness - shoots right. Even though Ferland plays RW, he shoots left. It's especially important when you're trying to open up lanes and setup properly for one-timers on the PP. Not that I'm saying that Ferland wouldn't be better on the first unit, but there's some logic there from a handedness perspective.
Yeah, Gulutzan is a strong supporter of handedness and its importance in game situations. I don't think it's likely for Ferland to play in Brouwer's place on the top unit. Same reason Brodie, despite his success playing in the RD spot for so many seasons will not likely play there again as long as Gulutzan is coach.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #36
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just love these, thanks so much man. Just a fantastic service to all of us at CP that you do! Cheers bud!
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #37
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Finished placing all the Tkachuk highlights in the project timeline... 3.5 hours worth.

Now that includes many duplicate replay angles of goals and what not, but still Gaudreau typically yields about 2 hours of raw highlights.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #38
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Finished placing all the Tkachuk highlights in the project timeline... 3.5 hours worth.

Now that includes many duplicate replay angles of goals and what not, but still Gaudreau typically yields about 2 hours of raw highlights.
Sounds like it will require some judicious editing to whittle that down, and some fine Tkachuk moments will likely end up on the cutting room floor. But can't wait to see the finished product. Just further evidence of what the Flames have in this guy.

Like others have said, thanks for all your hard work on this AC.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #39
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think it should be quite doable though still. Many of the scrums Tkachuk gets into are in long clips, but I won't be showing many replays of them, just the actual few seconds of face-punching.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #40
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

3.5 hours isn't even bad... I could watch Tkachuk all day
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote