Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #41
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You get this 22 year old kid who understands the role of pro athlete in the community and fully embraces it.

Then you get a guy like Marshawn who couldn't even be bothered to answer a damn media question.

These guys are role models and idols to so many young boys and girls.
As the poster below this noted, I think you need to do some research on Marshawn Lynch. The guy is all heart, just doesn't want to talk to the media. #### on him all you want as talking to the media should be part of his job, but the guy does big things for charity.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
^The entire Flames lineup looked lost for the first part of the season learning that system.

A full training camp should do wonders for Lazar.
Yeah, when Johnny and Monahan look lost because they missed camp, a guy like Lazar going from one system to another is bound to be a little scattered (and yes, I know he had a few weeks of practice).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #43
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
As the poster below this noted, I think you need to do some research on Marshawn Lynch. The guy is all heart, just doesn't want to talk to the media. #### on him all you want as talking to the media should be part of his job, but the guy does big things for charity.
Did I say anything about his heart or charity work?

Talking to the media and selling your sport is part of your job. Keep making excuses for him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew when the Flames picked him up the Flames got themselves a very likeable, character player but I've wondered if he had the skills to be an impact player in the NHL. I'm pulling for him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #45
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Did your eyes not see a goal and two assists? And only one goal against while he was on the ice?
Are you really making a big deal of his stats from a sample size of 4 games? He wasn't very good, if the coach thought he was a difference maker you would have seen him in the line-up a lot more down the stretch. He needs to come into camp in great shape or he will be on the 4th line or the press box for the most part. He won't be able to blame the coach this time for the lack of opportunity.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #46
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Did I say anything about his heart or charity work?

Talking to the media and selling your sport is part of your job. Keep making excuses for him.
You directly implied he wasn't acting as a role model, and when he is in fact one of the best role models in the African American Community in the Bay Area. They guy gives back his time, money, and resources to where he grew up. Instead of yelling into a camera about how rich he is and what the world owes him, he keeps his mouth shut and goes to work in the community.

There's no excuses for him not talking to the media, he should, it's his job.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Are you really making a big deal of his stats from a sample size of 4 games? He wasn't very good, if the coach thought he was a difference maker you would have seen him in the line-up a lot more down the stretch. He needs to come into camp in great shape or he will be on the 4th line or the press box for the most part. He won't be able to blame the coach this time for the lack of opportunity.
Your eye test based on 4 games comes from an equal sample size. Are you really basing your view on that?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
So? Do you need to hear Marshawn Lynch say "Well, you know, the team is rolling really well right now and uh I feel like, that we uh, yeah. I think we're doing really well."

Do you think that stupid #### sells the game? Flipside to that is, do you think the NFL is just missing a couple more player interviews to really saturate that product?

It's moot anyways because Marshawn WILL deal with the media, and usually in a much better way for selling his own personal brand and the league than dumb old media scrums.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually really excited to see what this kid can do and bring to the team.

He'll have a whole off-season to iron out his fitness and a whole training camp to gel with the rest of the team.

I think this is going to be one of TreWizard's steals.

Its a classic case of a high-end player just needing a change of scenery and a different supporting cast.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #50
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny and Curtis are riding in the parade tomorrow:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/gaud...de/c-290316018

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #51
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazar will be on the team, and it is only a question of how high is upside is.

I think his floor is that of a really good energy player that will produce about 25-30 pts. He is really fast, and he has a beauty of a non-stop motor. Kid is always moving. He also likes to play physical. Tenacious on the forecheck. I think moving Bouma allows for Lazar to have a spot on the team (regardless of wing - they will find a way to put him into the lineup). I also think it is an upgrade right off the bat on Bouma (though let's see how much off the bat).

When he was drafted, I don't recall his ceiling being that of a #1 center. He was most likely going to be a #2 or possibly a #3 center. He was labeled as a 'can't miss' pick due to his work ethic, speed, motor, physicality, scoring ability and IQ.

His 3 points in 4 games is probably not to be expected, but what is also not to be expected is how lousy he did in Ottawa. Maybe Ottawa rushed him. Maybe he then got buried somewhat. There is a reason why Burke went out of his way to say this kid is going to play in Calgary for the next 10 years. You can definitely see his character. I think a lot of people will start noticing his other qualities as well.

I have said he is 'Mini-Ferland' in the way he skates and hits, and has scoring ability. I guess I should change it somewhat. Cral has a good point about him being like Conroy. I am looking at him as a genetic mutation grown from the spit of Conroy, Ranheim and Ferland. Great character and IQ even if not the most skilled (Conroy), speed and motor (Ranheim), and has that ability to catch guys almost at will along the boards (Ferland.. just not as hard-hitting).

He really is so much like Conroy though. I didn't catch it until Cral mentioned it, but I also feel much like Conroy wasn't an offensively gifted individual, his IQ and dedication allowed him to put together very, very good seasons. Hopefully it will be the same for Lazar.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #52
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Johnny and Curtis are riding in the parade tomorrow:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/gaud...de/c-290316018
Great to see them both getting invested in the community! This summer has sure been more fun than the uncertainty we had at this time last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Lazar will be on the team, and it is only a question of how high is upside is.

I think his floor is that of a really good energy player that will produce about 25-30 pts. He is really fast, and he has a beauty of a non-stop motor. Kid is always moving. He also likes to play physical. Tenacious on the forecheck. I think moving Bouma allows for Lazar to have a spot on the team (regardless of wing - they will find a way to put him into the lineup). I also think it is an upgrade right off the bat on Bouma (though let's see how much off the bat).

When he was drafted, I don't recall his ceiling being that of a #1 center. He was most likely going to be a #2 or possibly a #3 center. He was labeled as a 'can't miss' pick due to his work ethic, speed, motor, physicality, scoring ability and IQ.

His 3 points in 4 games is probably not to be expected, but what is also not to be expected is how lousy he did in Ottawa. Maybe Ottawa rushed him. Maybe he then got buried somewhat. There is a reason why Burke went out of his way to say this kid is going to play in Calgary for the next 10 years. You can definitely see his character. I think a lot of people will start noticing his other qualities as well.

I have said he is 'Mini-Ferland' in the way he skates and hits, and has scoring ability. I guess I should change it somewhat. Cral has a good point about him being like Conroy. I am looking at him as a genetic mutation grown from the spit of Conroy, Ranheim and Ferland. Great character and IQ even if not the most skilled (Conroy), speed and motor (Ranheim), and has that ability to catch guys almost at will along the boards (Ferland.. just not as hard-hitting).

He really is so much like Conroy though. I didn't catch it until Cral mentioned it, but I also feel much like Conroy wasn't an offensively gifted individual, his IQ and dedication allowed him to put together very, very good seasons. Hopefully it will be the same for Lazar.
I'd be thrilled if he was the next Conroy, but I would still be happy if turned into a high-end 3C.

Last edited by Macindoc; 07-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote