Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #61
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
No teams should have any incentive to not try to make themselves better. Other teams may not like it, but maybe they just shouldn't suck so bad.
The only way to truly do that is to give the Stanley Cup winner the 1st overall pick, so teams will truly try.

We know that isn't going to happen.

I don't consider trading current, regressing assets for future, increasing assets to be tanking.

Sure you are making yourself worse now, but it's so you can get better in the future by changing the timeline of your best assets.

Finishing at the bottom of the league is a necessary by-product of that plan, although I don't believe many teams are truly trying to lose. They are simply trying to make themselves better in the future.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #62
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The only way to truly do that is to give the Stanley Cup winner the 1st overall pick, so teams will truly try.
Balderdash. You simply need to lessen the reward for failure to the extent that it is not preferable to suck. Maximum suckage should not = maximum reward.

There is no reason for the 31st team in the league to be rewarded over the 28th team.

This would not preclude teams from assessing their positions and managing assets accordingly by selling players at their highest values, trading UFA's at the deadline, etc. It would prevent them from bottoming out and entering a vortex of suckage that can only be exited by drafting a McDavid or Crosby.

My proposed drafting odds:

31st-27th: 12% each
26th-22nd: 7% each
21st-17th: 1% each

Draw for all 15 slots. Wherever you land, you land.

Perhaps this order only applies to the first round (or odd numbered rounds). The remaining rounds can be straight up reverse standings. Shrewd management should find value in the 32nd pick, even if they didn't win the lottery.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #63
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

My proposed drafting odds:

31st-27th: 12% each
26th-22nd: 7% each
21st-17th: 1% each

Draw for all 15 slots. Wherever you land, you land.
I'm not sure why that would chance how things are done now.

Teams are still rewarded for playing poorly.

While there is less likelihood of poor teams getting the best draft pick, teams will still try and increase their odds of getting a Crosby. Because that is all they have.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote