Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #21
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I'll never understand why these guys don't wait to test out free agency. I understand hating moving around, but honestly, they say they play for the love of the game and wanting to win... well that's not going to happen in Montreal.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Wow. Guaranteed money to compensate for the upcoming lockout.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #23
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun‏ @PierreVLeBrun
So $70 million worth of signing bonuses in Price's $84 million contract. Wow.

Lockout protection
Buyout protection

Well done, Price!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
Price is pricey

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Carey will have to carry the Habs in order for them to win a cup.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

These contracts....

The best goalie in the league pretty much just became untradeable IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Years 5 through 8 are the risky ones in this deal. Hope it works for the Habs.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Price is the team. Without him they are a lottery team so he deserves to be their highest paid player. Problem now is that with this contract the team is going to have a tough time ever improving what is already a mediocre talent base.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #28
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you consider the fact that he single handily wins more games for his team each season than mcjesus does for the oil the contract almost seems reasonable...almost
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #29
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol

These contracts....

The best goalie in the league pretty much just became untradeable IMO.
Why would they trade him? I don't see that Montreal had much of a choice. Its certainly a great deal for Carey Price and his family and comparable to the Lundquist deal when he signed it. Why would he want to move to another team? Which one of the contenders has that much cap space?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #30
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I probably would have just traded him instead of giving him this contract.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #31
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here we go. Thank that idiot Chiarelli in trying to sign McDavid for $13M a season. The big contract like over $10M to good player will now start coming up. Next thing you know every single player who had a great season will demand that much. Just look at Draisatl.. one good season in the NHL and they think he deserves $9M plus a season. Radulov is the same thing so who's next? Are we going to have problem when Gaudreau and Monahan's contract renewal comes up?

I am not saying Carey Price or Connor McDavid does not deserve big contract but not that much. There's always an idiot GM that ruins things for the league. Back then it was Glen Sather of NY Rangers and that Philiadelphia GM who's throwing big contracts left and right. Suddenly teams in Canada and small market teams can't compete and bunch of teams were in trouble.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Don't really think Bergevin had much of a choice.

This leaves the UFA drama all to Tavares for next season.
I know he's beloved and one of my favourite flames ever but I could see an outside chance at Backlund out and Tavares in, in a bittersweet shocker, with stajan finally coming off the books. He would be the piece to push the Flames to contention and is exactly management's type of player.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I probably would have just traded him instead of giving him this contract.
Yeah you might be able to argue they will be a better team long term with the kings ransom they could have got for Price and the extra $10.5M in cap space.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #34
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Why would they trade him? I don't see that Montreal had much of a choice. Its certainly a great deal for Carey Price and his family and comparable to the Lundquist deal when he signed it. Why would he want to move to another team? Which one of the contenders has that much cap space?
I'm not saying they should trade him, I'm just saying that in the cap world it's pretty funny how one of the league's top players can instantly become untradeable at the stroke of a pen.

He's the best goalie in the league (IMO). Despite that however, the contract he just signed makes him virtually untradeable.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #35
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Price is probably worth that cap hit in terms of his value to the Canadiens.

But when I look at that team, I don't like their chances to compete any time soon, barring an explosion from somebody like Drouin.

Price will keep that team competitive, and they'll never be bad enough to pick in the top 5 unless they win the lottery.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #36
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember the game during the 10 game win streak where MTL wasnt playing Price and I just remember being stunned at how painfully offensively inept MTL was. They don't have a no.1 center, they may not even have a true no.2 center. They are a poorly built team and I'm surprised Price bought into it even with their current lineup. I envision dark days ahead for that team
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #37
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah you might be able to argue they will be a better team long term with the kings ransom they could have got for Price and the extra $10.5M in cap space.
Well its always interesting when you can envision players moving around like players in a computer game, but that fact is that not all players are available to all teams. The Flames ended up with Hamonic and Stone because they happen to want to play for the Flames, not saying its a bad pickup, its a great move by Treleving but teams need to work with the limitations they have.

Bergevin did not have a fantasy pick of players he could replace Price with if they were available. For example if you look back at the Patrick Roy trade, thats the kind of players you can expect in return, all of them forgetable. Teams that force trades because they cannot meet salary demands do not work out well.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah draisaitl really doesn't have the track record to be demanding 9 or 10 mil. You really need a longer resume of that production to demand that amount...aka be considered 'bonafide'.

Johnnys 78 point season earned him 6.75. I think that should roughly be Leon's ballpark as well. But I sincerely hope Edmonton follows this new trend and caves for 9 because I want to see them burn in cap hell and suffer poor depth for the duration of those contracts.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #39
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Here we go. Thank that idiot Chiarelli in trying to sign McDavid for $13M a season. The big contract like over $10M to good player will now start coming up. Next thing you know every single player who had a great season will demand that much. Just look at Draisatl.. one good season in the NHL and they think he deserves $9M plus a season. Radulov is the same thing so who's next? Are we going to have problem when Gaudreau and Monahan's contract renewal comes up?

I am not saying Carey Price or Connor McDavid does not deserve big contract but not that much. There's always an idiot GM that ruins things for the league. Back then it was Glen Sather of NY Rangers and that Philiadelphia GM who's throwing big contracts left and right. Suddenly teams in Canada and small market teams can't compete and bunch of teams were in trouble.
Top players have been making this money in actual dollars or cap % for a while, there just isn't tag end years or 12 year contracts to hide it behind anymore. This becoming less hidden was more Toews and Kane.
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Coppernian One For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #40
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Price is the team. Without him they are a lottery team so he deserves to be their highest paid player. Problem now is that with this contract the team is going to have a tough time ever improving what is already a mediocre talent base.
even still the contract wouldn't scare me as much if he was a more durable player. wonder when he'll be LTIR and traded to a team closer to the cap floor.
I'd say by the time he's 34 or 35.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote