Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #2081
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

So this guy just called everyone idiots who've clearly never had a job if they don't understand Brad Treliving and Brian Burke's relationship and approval process, and has now proceeded to completely guess at said relationship, even offering multiple possibilities as to how things may work.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #2082
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So this guy just called everyone idiots who've clearly never had a job if they don't understand Brad Treliving and Brian Burke's relationship and approval process, and has now proceeded to completely guess at said relationship, even offering multiple possibilities as to how things may work.
Can't believe we all didn't get the Burke/Treliving relationship dynamics but we are all enlightened now.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #2083
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Actually, I'm sure Burke gives mandates at every free agency. Either Burke is a micromanager who says "I want you to sign Troy Brouwer", or he's macro and says "If you can, sign a right handed winger with XYZ skills". I can't see him being lazy and say "Do what you think is best, I'm on the golf course"

I'm sure thats the case for deadlines, opening day, draft day, etc. Following each mandate, he will then approve every deal.
These are two equally ludicrous scenarios you have portrayed. I thought that I was bad at speculating.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #2084
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brouwer+Lazar+Stajan+Bouma+Kotalik for Duchene! I am so smart. Get it done Burkie!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #2085
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I'm sure Burke gives mandates at every free agency. Either Burke is a micromanager who says "I want you to sign Troy Brouwer", or he's macro and says "If you can, sign a right handed winger with XYZ skills". I can't see him being lazy and say "Do what you think is best, I'm on the golf course"

I'm sure thats the case for deadlines, opening day, draft day, etc. Following each mandate, he will then approve every deal.
Paging this post is terrible..........
The Following User Says Thank You to Completely For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #2086
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
These are two equally ludicrous scenarios you have portrayed. I thought that I was bad at speculating.
Well then enlighten us? Perhaps Burke doesn't actually spend time around the Flames office and has no clue or input as to what goes. I'm sure he doesn't even meet with Treliving!!

Yes, that sounds like Brian Burke, the guy who gets into shouting fights with ticket holders.

Can people not simply look back at the Burke interviews when he was hired? Or the interviews when Treliving was hired? We know Treliving answers to him on hockey related matters. So what, an 18 million dollar contract in Troy Brouwer somehow didn't make it across the desk of the President of ####ing Hockey Operations for approval? Is that seriously being questioned right now?!?! What do people think the term operations mean? Or better yet, what do people honestly think happened? Burke heard about it in the papers the next day?

I guess some people just want to believe Treliving has the keys and has pure autonomy despite being in a position of lesser rank. How to argue against such a realm of crazy? I actually didn't call anyone an idiot. But I don't need to either.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #2087
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you've ever worked anywhere ever, you'd know that upper management always has responsibility for the actions carried out below them. If Burke issues a mandate that NTCs are limited to franchise players or elite UFAs, then even the GM will have to abide by them.

You're either inexperienced or ignorant if you don't think Burke approves every UFA signing. Guys like Treliving go to his boss and says "I have a deal in place for Troy Brouwer, who I believe benefits the organization by meeting X organizational goals... Here's the details.... Please advise"

Treliving does not have to seek Burkie's approval in UFA signings. He likely discusses them with him, but the final decision is Treliving's.

Treliving does not answer to Burke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Cobra; 07-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #2088
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well, as long as you're sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #2089
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always such a disappointment when there really aren't trade rumors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #2090
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Hi Brad, Brian here, this week Id like you to acquire a big strong right handed winger. Playoff acumen a plus, must play a heavy game, let me know when that's done, you have until Thursday. Also, later this month we are targeting a Cost controlled Puck moving defenseman. no immediate timetable for this just wanna give you a heads up on future Brian Burke mandates. Have a great day Brad"
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #2091
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should replace Burke with whoever is in upper management in Tampa. Yzerman has been clearly benefiting from having a boss directing him in the right way.

Or even at least the guy in Nashville. You don't get to manage a team for that long without having upper management make the right calls for you. Polie should be grateful to be in that spot.

I have no idea who these guys are but obviously from what I've been told about upper management, GMs are closer to front line workers for the phones rather than actual managers.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #2092
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I heard all your GM does is fill out TPS reports. But he gets them done on time so Burke is happy with him.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #2093
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's hilarious just how bad his posts consistently are. Tarnishing the name of our good captain.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #2094
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
"Hi Brad, Brian here, this week Id like you to acquire a big strong right handed winger. Playoff acumen a plus, must play a heavy game, let me know when that's done, you have until Thursday. Also, later this month we are targeting a Cost controlled Puck moving defenseman. no immediate timetable for this just wanna give you a heads up on future Brian Burke mandates. Have a great day Brad"
Oh and make sure we don't give up Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Brodie, Hamilton, Tkachuk, Giordano, Hamonic, Ferland, Backlund, Jankowski, Parsons, Gillies, Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, and Fox while you're at it.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #2095
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MarkGio may be Brian Burke!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #2096
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am going to propose that the Flames to trade their entire roster plus prospects plus picks for Pittsburgh's entire roster plus prospects plus picks. Dollar-wise it matches.....
Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #2097
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Brad Treliving's next career move.

Left a good job in the city
Workin' for the man ev'ry night and day
And I never lost one minute of sleepin'
Worryin' 'bout the way things might have been

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #2098
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am going to propose that the Flames to trade their entire roster plus prospects plus picks for Pittsburgh's entire roster plus prospects plus picks. Dollar-wise it matches.....
denied

is your cat doing singing?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #2099
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Flames would have to retain a significant amount of salary.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #2100
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well then enlighten us? Perhaps Burke doesn't actually spend time around the Flames office and has no clue or input as to what goes. I'm sure he doesn't even meet with Treliving!!

Yes, that sounds like Brian Burke, the guy who gets into shouting fights with ticket holders.

Can people not simply look back at the Burke interviews when he was hired? Or the interviews when Treliving was hired? We know Treliving answers to him on hockey related matters. So what, an 18 million dollar contract in Troy Brouwer somehow didn't make it across the desk of the President of ####ing Hockey Operations for approval? Is that seriously being questioned right now?!?! What do people think the term operations mean? Or better yet, what do people honestly think happened? Burke heard about it in the papers the next day?

I guess some people just want to believe Treliving has the keys and has pure autonomy despite being in a position of lesser rank. How to argue against such a realm of crazy? I actually didn't call anyone an idiot. But I don't need to either.
I have two takeaways from this post:

1. You've never managed people (well)
2. You've never had good people manage you before
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread