Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Office phones

A long shot, but anyone here know much about old Nortel phone systems? Our voicemail hard drive just died.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A long shot, but anyone here know much about old Nortel phone systems? Our voicemail hard drive just died.
My wife used to work with Meridian 1, Companion, and Norstar phones when she worked at Nortel. If you're dealing with one of these and you have a specific question, I can ask.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our old Norstar NAM V2.1 HDD died, and I've found online a newer NAM v4.1. I was wondering if I could just swap boxes(not just HDD, entire system) and it would work with the rest of our system. I can configure phone settings, but if I need to work directly on the box OS(OS/2 from what I understand) that would be above my head. But f they are just plug in and good to go, that would be great.

It was also suggested to not bother with a NAM and get a Startalk Flash instead. I'd do that if I knew I could just plug it in and it would work with our existing system.

The other equipment is a M0X16, M12X0 and Norstar Plus Modular ICS, all 1997 vintage.

Numbers on the Modular, if it helps...
NNTM0409JBL2
NT7B53FA-93
REL08B

I know virtually nothing about phone systems, other than what I've learned in 2 days. I do IT work though, so I'm not totally clueless. Unfortunately due to being in the oil industry, money is tight so we need to do this on the cheap.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have an MICS, you can run FLASH voicemail or CallPilot providing your MICS is new enough... I can't remember if the version you have is new enough..probably is though.

I wouldn't bother with a NAM if all you need is mail.

If it was me, I'd verify the version of MICS (again I think you are good) and get the CallPilot.

Fun fact: I helped design the IVR on CallPilot

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having trouble figureing out what our versino is.

Looking here...
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=6693
but I don't understand what to match in my numbers. There is a sticker on the main box with the info in ym previous post, and then, what I think is the software card with this stuff:
NA MICS1.1 V12.7
NT7B72FD-93

Is it the software card version?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm having trouble figureing out what our versino is.

Looking here...
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=6693
but I don't understand what to match in my numbers. There is a sticker on the main box with the info in ym previous post, and then, what I think is the software card with this stuff:
NA MICS1.1 V12.7
NT7B72FD-93

Is it the software card version?
this is your software rev NT7B72FD-93

there's got to still be a compatibility matrix floating around out there... sorry I can't help more, I've been away from telecom since Nortel packed it in.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I've learned way more about phone systems than I ever wanted to know. Ended up getting a Norstar Flash box for $100 on Ebay to replace the NAM. So we've gone from 1995 tech to 2000 tech...woohoo. Just need to configure mailboxes now.

The other thing I learned is either phone sales companies are really busy, or they don't want business. I sent out a few emails, and only got one response, then he just stopped responding when I asked for product. Fortunately I found a tech support forum to help me out.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats on resolving your issue Fuzz.

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-10-2015 at 02:45 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I've learned way more about phone systems than I ever wanted to know. Ended up getting a Norstar Flash box for $100 on Ebay to replace the NAM. So we've gone from 1995 tech to 2000 tech...woohoo. Just need to configure mailboxes now.

The other thing I learned is either phone sales companies are really busy, or they don't want business. I sent out a few emails, and only got one response, then he just stopped responding when I asked for product. Fortunately I found a tech support forum to help me out.
that's a good deal...

Avaya bought Norstar, maybe try one of their dealers...