Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #41
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this on the rate the Draft thread - but it belongs here too!

Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #42
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a draft by Treliving. Brilliant.

I also think Garth Snow did a great job.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #43
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Real impressive job of working the phones and addressing needs. The guy eats and sleeps hockey. Treliving is setting himself up with the next challenge he'll face as a GM - managing the cap. The best way of doing that - as the Hawks have shown - is to maintain a pipeline of young assets.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #44
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I like about Treliving and company is that they have a clear vision for how they want this team to evolve and develop and are able to execute on strategies to get there.

Listening to all the stuff with respect to attaining a young top 4 forward this off season - they recognized the need, shipped a couple players out at the deadline to get the assets to make such a move, identified target players and teams that were vulnerable due to cap problems, as soon as the season ended Treliving worked diligently with Boston/Sweeney to plant the seeds for a deal, arrived at the draft and took advantage, outmanoeuvring every GM on the league, even paying less than others supposedly were willing to pay. All completely deliberate. Amazing.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #45
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great job. Set us up with numerous picks by trading away players we did not need. Then confident enough to make a bold move and trade those picks for a solid player.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #46
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
What I like about Treliving and company is that they have a clear vision for how they want this team to evolve and develop and are able to execute on strategies to get there.

Listening to all the stuff with respect to attaining a young top 4 forward this off season - they recognized the need, shipped a couple players out at the deadline to get the assets to make such a move, identified target players and teams that were vulnerable due to cap problems, as soon as the season ended Treliving worked diligently with Boston/Sweeney to plant the seeds for a deal, arrived at the draft and took advantage, outmanoeuvring every GM on the league, even paying less than others supposedly were willing to pay. All completely deliberate. Amazing.
I'm also extremely impressed with how cloak & dagger he was about the entire affair. We didn't even hear an inkling about a deal around Hamilton until a handful of minutes before it was finalized.

While the rest of us were busy distracted with the goalie search and musing that getting Hamilton was a laughable pipe-dream...he was probably hammering out the details of the trade. This man is extremely shrewd and calculating and he's only had 1 draft and 1 deadline under his belt up til today and he's already outmaneuvering the other GMs.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #47
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I'm also extremely impressed with how cloak & dagger he was about the entire affair. We didn't even hear an inkling about a deal around Hamilton until a handful of minutes before it was finalized.

While the rest of us were busy distracted with the goalie search and musing that getting Hamilton was a laughable pipe-dream...he was probably hammering out the details of the trade. This man is extremely shrewd and calculating and he's only had 1 draft and 1 deadline under his belt up til today and he's already outmaneuvering the other GMs.
Something tells me BT was never in on any of the goalies. Not seriously anyway. He wasn't going to give up any picks in the 1st or 2nd round if he was working on Dougie.

What a great smokescreen/strategic leak.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #48
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hartley works his magic on the ice
Treliving works his magic off the ice

What a dynamic duo
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #49
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worked his tail off getting this weekends results. The fruits of his labor have paid off huge.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #50
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the moronic Leafs fans on HF think Burke is pulling the strings.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #51
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been waiting for him to really put his stamp on the team. Huge move and a massive win
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #52
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a Feaster defender and still think he did some great things, but Feaster doesn't make this trade. That's 100% idle speculation, but that's where my head is at.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #53
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I was a Feaster defender and still think he did some great things, but Feaster doesn't make this trade. That's 100% idle speculation, but that's where my head is at.

I think that's also 100% correct. Feaster did some great things for this team (Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler, Russell, Wideman), some okay things (Cammalleri, Ramo), some bad things (Boumeester, Iginla returns) and some horrible near misses (Richards, O'Reilly). It's no coincidence that all of his great things have nothing to do with dealing with other GM's (I wouldn't say trading for Wideman's rights was shrewd as well, every team does this leading up to UFA day). Jay was quite good with drafting and signings but his trading was horriawful. No way he he comes even close to pulling off the robbery Treliving pulled off. Even Treliving's most questionable move (Engelland contract) turned out to be solid for the stretch run and playoffs.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #54
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Long term, like Brodie's fantastic contract?
I get what you are saying, but what indication is that at this point to reserve judgement on Treviling?
I feel like you're asking me to give a definitive judgment on a game before the third period has started. Managing is a very slow game.

This summer and next season is going to be big in terms of transitioning from Feasters team to Trelivings team. I want to see how that plays out, and how Trelivings team actually plays on the ice.

I'm expecting it to be good, but as I said, for me there's still a lot of hockey to be played before we can call things a win or a loss.

If it helps, I can tell you that right now I feel pretty good about our management. I just don't think that means much. I used to feel pretty good about GM Sutter too.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #55
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can we rename this thread to Brad "The Skinner" Treliving ?
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading the Spector article on Sportsnet last night he has a small man crush on Treliving. Called him one of the best young GM's in the game.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #57
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Let's just reserve judgement until Dougie gets re-upped. How much cap space do we have for Gio + Dougie?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #58
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My favourite part is all the new conferences since, Treliving and even Burke keep talking about how Boston held such shrewd negotiations and it being win/win. Thats so much more effective long term than concluding trades with "gotcha sucker!"
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Serapth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #59
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Last year was all about getting to know the team better and doing relatively minor deals. I thought he did a good job then, but perhaps received more credit than he deserved. But man, now? He shrewdly acquired picks and used them to acquire a real impact player. Even with the loss of the picks, he managed to land a couple of guys that have a real shot. Outstanding job. So long as he stays away from the real killer UFA contracts or future crippling trades (Kessel), they are on a great trajectory thanks to Brad
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #60
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been 2.5 days already Brad, where the heck is our next big trade?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post: