Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Streaming laptop to TV

I was looking at our cable bill the other day and thinking how crazy it is to pay what we do when we hardly watch TV. With more and more being online now does anyone stream from their laptop to a TV instead of paying for cable? Can this be done with WiFi or would I need to be wired to get enough download speed?

Another option I'm looking at is getting a decent antenna to see if I can pick up a few stations that way.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd also be interested to see how other people stream MKV's, MPG4's and other media from their laptops and computers to their TV in hidef. Not just wireless but wired too.

I'm sure there's devices out there but any feedback on said devices would be appreciated.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My preferred solution is to use XBMC on a pc/laptop connected via HDMI cable.

You can also use something like an Apple TV with AirPlay to stream from a computer/ ipad.
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you have an xbox/ps3, you can use an application like PS3 Media Server (works on both systems) to stream almost anything, from Mac or Windows, to your tv.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
If you have an xbox/ps3, you can use an application like PS3 Media Server (works on both systems) to stream almost anything, from Mac or Windows, to your tv.
PS3 media server is unreliable for a lot of torrented video files. It won't play 10-20% of the files I download. Not a huge % but a giant pain.

XBOX will play literally anything I throw at it on the same ps3 media server but the video goes out of sync with the audio a lot...
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best user interface and ability to play everything is Plex. Get an Apple TV gen 2, jailbreak it and install Plex on it. Install Plex Media Server on your computer and you are set, you won't be dissapointed.

If UI is not a concern then WD TV live or the ASUS O Play will work as well.

If you want no hassle 1080p, build a HTPC
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Trying to transcode 1080p on the fly for the XBOX 360 or PS3 is a huge task for most processors. You end up running lower resolutions which is a waste, in my opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like you can get 6 or 7 HD channels in Calgary. Put your address in the search to get the direction for your antennae.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc4917c14ef864

I agree with oilyfan build an HTPC and connect it via HDMI for best results via the net. You can even connect it to an A/V receiver via HDMI with the receiver connected via HDMI also. For audio from your TV when using your antennae, most TVs have an audio out (toslink or RCA) or an audio return channel (ARC).

Last edited by Vulcan; 11-07-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
The best user interface and ability to play everything is Plex. Get an Apple TV gen 2, jailbreak it and install Plex on it. Install Plex Media Server on your computer and you are set, you won't be dissapointed.

If UI is not a concern then WD TV live or the ASUS O Play will work as well.

If you want no hassle 1080p, build a HTPC

I'm looking at doing this. Do you know a good webiste/resource that I can use so I can jailbreak mine? I use plex via my iPad, but it would be nice to eliminate that step.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I'm looking at doing this. Do you know a good webiste/resource that I can use so I can jailbreak mine? I use plex via my iPad, but it would be nice to eliminate that step.
This way costs $30, but it looks pretty solid:

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This way costs $30, but it looks pretty solid:

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black
A correction, $30 is for the media player they provide. Jail breaking using seasonpass is free. If you have any experience or are willing to follow an online guide you can easily SSH and install Plex on the ATV. In fact I recommend that method because it does not install anything else on the ATV that don't need.
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I use an Asus O! Play to stream from my NAS. It plays most formats and I got the box for about $20-30 on sale around 3 years ago. It's wired so it plays great and they also have a wireless version.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I use TVesrity to stream files from my PC to my Xbox360 over my wireless network. It works pretty well - the codecs were a pain to set-up initially, and it's a demanding program on your hardware when it's transcoding, but it works.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
I use an Asus O! Play to stream from my NAS. It plays most formats and I got the box for about $20-30 on sale around 3 years ago. It's wired so it plays great and they also have a wireless version.
How do you get past the fact that the remote is borderline useless and the UI is a steaming pile of goat feces?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't have cable, stream everything from my laptop.

Most new laptops have HDMI and RGB so just use either. Most tv's have pc audio ins so just hook up your earphone out to that and set it to extended desktop on the screen settings. Then get a cheap wireless keyboard from walmart as well as a wireless mouse and you are good to go. The receivers you plug in are absolutely tiny and you can leave them in all the time so they are handy as ####. It's really easy to set up. for shows comedynetwork.ca and isohunt.com are your best bets.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started by streaming to my Xbox but the interface and controls aren't the best, it wouldn't play some files and the sync was sometimes out.

Next moved on to a Patriot media player, no frills but it works quite well, hardwired so it isn't portable. Doesn't play some mkv and wmv files. Very difficult to scroll through movies.

Next tried a WDTV, has built in wireless, runs almost anything, lots of extra features like netflix, facebook, twitter, internet radio, etc. etc.
This is overall a pretty good machine for the money but it has some buggy software. Had to update the firmware about 10 times and the file system has ghost files showing that I can't get rid of.

Finally broke down and spent $190 on a Boxee Box.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX31175
Annoying that you need to log in with an email address the first time but beside that it is a great unit. Built in wireless and plays absolutely everything. Has every feature you can imagine, everything that the WDTV has plus way more. You can even watch internet television by accessing the streams from tv network websites. You can surf the web using the coolest remote around, the front is a apple-esque basic remote and the backside has a full qwerty keyboard. Very happy with this unit and you can quickly unplug it and move it to a different room instead of a bulky wired solution.

Right now I'm running a NAS with the Boxee and it is great but you can also connect to your PC or laptop and access media files.

Between netflix, streaming from websites and media files that you get from other sources you can probably get rid of your cable.

Last edited by Jacks; 11-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Except for sports..
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Boxee Box or just hooking the hdmi cable directly to you laptop are the two best solutions for me. Wireless media servers running through a PS3 or other device are way too unrealiable and frustrating. Always best to have the source of the video wired directly into the tv somehow. Media players that you can input media to through a flashdrive are acceptable too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
^
Except for sports..
You can get HNIC online for free.

TSN/SN is what we are waiting for.

If you are an NBA fan you can buy the online season pass for $100/yr
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the money you save on cable you could almost afford to buy sports tickets.

I imagine in the next few years all the major sports leagues will be offering online streaming packages.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote