Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:
Default Networking Question

I have a router, with 4 outputs, on the main floor of my home. I'd like to run only one of the outputs via network cable to the basement, but then need 3 more connections going out in the basement. The other 3 outputs are already spoken for on the main floor.

How do I do this? Do I need a switch? Can I use another router and run the output to the input on the second router, then have another 4 fresh outputs? The bonus if I could do that is I could have separate wifi nodes which has some advantages for what I'm doing.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Do I need a switch?
Yes.

Using a second wireless router works too. Just make sure to plug the first router into one of the LAN ports of the second, not the Internet port.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 10-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also should disable DHCP and NAT on your second router, and ensure that it is on the same subnet as your original router.

Basic internet should work even if you don't do this, but things like file sharing, streaming etc might not work at all or work very poorly.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Thanks to both of you.

So using input/output language is wrong. I consider the connection from my modem to my router as "input" then the other 4 as "output", but with the second router, using my terminology, I connect from an "out" or "lan" to another "out" or "lan", and not the input?

I guess what I've learned from your comments is that the benefit of network cable is it can be bidirectional, which I knew, but I'm more used to connecting stereo equipment so I'm in the mindset of input/output.

So I can connect two routers, via their lan connections, and they'll share the same internet connection coming from the primary router? That is the intial concern, but Rathji, you seem to have touched on my other concern which is I'm going to be routing all my music via a Qnap through the wired connection.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think just buying a switch is the best solution. They are cheap and will give you exactly what you're looking for.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
So I can connect two routers, via their lan connections, and they'll share the same internet connection coming from the primary router?
Yes, but you ideally want the second router in bridge mode, and use the WAN port as the uplink port to connect it to the primary router. If you just tie the LAN ports together, the wifi portion of the second router may or may not have network access depending on the internal architecture of the second router, if you're not in bridge mode.

Honestly, you'd be better off getting a switch and a dedicated wifi access point for what you are trying to do - the cost is going to work out similar, and there will be fewer configuration hassles if you aren't that familiar with networking.

Just run an ethernet connection from the LAN side ports on the primary router to the switch in the second location, and connect the wifi access point to that second switch.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Yes, but you ideally want the second router in bridge mode, and use the WAN port as the uplink port to connect it to the primary router. If you just tie the LAN ports together, the wifi portion of the second router may or may not have network access depending on the internal architecture of the second router, if you're not in bridge mode.

Honestly, you'd be better off getting a switch and a dedicated wifi access point for what you are trying to do - the cost is going to work out similar, and there will be fewer configuration hassles if you aren't that familiar with networking.

Just run an ethernet connection from the LAN side ports on the primary router to the switch in the second location, and connect the wifi access point to that second switch.
Any access point I have looked at is not really any cheaper than a router, plus then you would need to add the cost of the switch in there.

I do agree that this would be the simplest solution though, and give some flexibility later if you wanted to relocate the wireless later. If you do go this route, I would get an 8 port switch, even if you only need 3 right now. The cost difference is fairly minimal and you never know when you will want to add an extra device, even temporarily.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Any access point I have looked at is not really any cheaper than a router, plus then you would need to add the cost of the switch in there.

I do agree that this would be the simplest solution though, and give some flexibility later if you wanted to relocate the wireless later. If you do go this route, I would get an 8 port switch, even if you only need 3 right now. The cost difference is fairly minimal and you never know when you will want to add an extra device, even temporarily.
$30 for an Asus switch and $49 for a DLink AP. I guess if you're in the habit of buying $59 routers, it's a bit more, but have fun with the $59 router.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am fine with the E3200 I picked up for $69, but that's certainly not regular price.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am fine with the E3200 I picked up for $69, but that's certainly not regular price.
That's a great price - on sale till midnight tonight at Memory Expense I notice..hmm
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does the USB port on the linksys work?

Can you actually see the HD as a share on a network? Is it easy to setup?
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never used it, but there are options in the admin page to set it up. Didn't look that difficult.

From my E3200

Looks like basic disc management, including setting up shared folders etc.

Last edited by Rathji; 11-02-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote