Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Apple "The New iPad" Thread

The super mega Apple thread couldn't contain this event.

What are you expecting or hoping to see?

Last edited by KTrain; 03-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm waiting for them to figure out a way to say they just invented LTE.

Mainly I'm just curious how these tablets keep upping the resolutions without packing a discrete video card in there. I guess its just the advances in technology where current SOCs are equal to a desktop CPU and GPU from a few years ago. I mean, some of these games are getting pretty serious, yet they run ok on a thing a centimeter thick and with HD res?
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm struggling to think of a feature that would make me purchase either a new iPad or a new Apple TV. I don't foresee there being an actual Apple Television... I think it'll be an upgrade to the puck ATV. My completely unoriginal predictions:

iPad HD:
- retina
- slightly thicker
- better camera
- crazy fast

iPad 2:
- Price drop to $350 (wifi 16gb)

Apple TV HD:
- 1080p streaming
- Announcement of apps and developer beta available with launch (today)

Misc:
- All iTunes movies stream in 1080p

High Hopes (but almost totally unlikely)
- Television subscription service for programming

Last edited by Russic; 03-07-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Pretty much guaranteed:

Resolution doubling both ways
Faster Processor
Faster Wireless network speeds
Updated Apple TV that can output 1080p

Possibilities:
Haptic Display - capable of changing texture for touch feedback
Multiple Variants - more than before

Unlikely:
Flexible tablet you can roll up
Electric shaver built in
Mind reading ability that removes need for keyboard
New iPad variant running AndroidOS
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was really hoping that there would be a drastic upgrade on the Apple TV. I was hoping that the new Apple TV would have most of the features that Apple would be interested in putting into their actual television set just so they could gauge the initial acceptance by the masses. However, there seems to be many rumors out there that are indicating that the new Apple TV will be at the same price point and will just have some minor upgrades like 1080p and a faster processor.

I was hoping Apple would keep the Apple TV2 at a lower price (say $79) and introduce the new device at say $149 that would have 1080p, a faster processor, more memory w/ an App Store and maybe even Siri integration. I guess this is wishful thinking on my part as I really would like to cut the ties to cable and if the Apple TV had these features, I would probably stop my cable today.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
I was really hoping that there would be a drastic upgrade on the Apple TV. I was hoping that the new Apple TV would have most of the features that Apple would be interested in putting into their actual television set just so they could gauge the initial acceptance by the masses. However, there seems to be many rumors out there that are indicating that the new Apple TV will be at the same price point and will just have some minor upgrades like 1080p and a faster processor.

I was hoping Apple would keep the Apple TV2 at a lower price (say $79) and introduce the new device at say $149 that would have 1080p, a faster processor, more memory w/ an App Store and maybe even Siri integration. I guess this is wishful thinking on my part as I really would like to cut the ties to cable and if the Apple TV had these features, I would probably stop my cable today.
I'm almost there, but I think they need to make a deal with content providers first. The live sports is where it gets complicated. NHL Gamecenter is a great service, but without local content it's only designed for being cheering for an out of market team. Special sporting events like the olympics or the world/euro cup would also be missed.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I mean, some of these games are getting pretty serious, yet they run ok on a thing a centimeter thick and with HD res?
"ok" is a relative thing for people.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know what I am expecting. I hope that Mr Cook can tell me that what ever new item they bring out is the item that is going to change everything in my life and that I must have it! It is my favorite part of apple events
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I don't know what I am expecting. I hope that Mr Cook can tell me that what ever new item they bring out is the item that is going to change everything in my life and that I must have it! It is my favorite part of apple events
Same here. We're about due to be blown away by something from Apple. Last couple of things have been really boring upgrades (iPad 2 and iPhone 4s).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The days of being blown away by Apple are probably over, Steve Jobs is gone, and it was his ability to hype and promote things that made their products mind blowing.

I mean, they are still going to come out with some fantastic products, but the days of people thinking they are life changing will probably start to dwindle.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The days of being blown away by Apple are probably over, Steve Jobs is gone, and it was his ability to hype and promote things that made their products mind blowing.

I mean, they are still going to come out with some fantastic products, but the days of people thinking they are life changing will probably start to dwindle.
I'll jump in and disagree. To me this line of thinking falls into the false idea that people bought things just because Steve told them to. In my opinion that's not how people work. You can get caught up in hype and buy something on a whim because somebody tells you to, but if the product doesn't meet expectations you won't be buying another one. People are incredibly fickle, and all it takes is one piss-off to ruin the entire image of a brand for someone.

I think Apple was much more than Steve Jobs. His bio opened my eyes to just how many poor decisions he made. I think people fell in love with the products, not his presentation of them. His philosophy was likely more important imo, and Apple has little reason to move away from it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just received one of my many work related spam emails but this one did catch my eye. ITworldcanada.com is claiming to show the Apple Event live.

Here's the link I received.

http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/wa...campaign=enews

When I went to it, there is a window that is running ads and a countdown timer until the event starts but I have no idea if this is legit or not and even if it is, I have no idea if they will be able to handle the demand.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Prepare to be disappointed (if you can call it that).

Retina graphics, and a modest CPU and memory bump (that they likely won't discuss, other than how much faster the graphics are) to support the new display. Think incremental upgrades like the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. They are already leading this market segment, there is no need for them to blow the roof off it, and they have a very comfortable release cycle now that keeps a large segment of their consumer base upgrading every 12-18 months.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm almost there, but I think they need to make a deal with content providers first. The live sports is where it gets complicated. NHL Gamecenter is a great service, but without local content it's only designed for being cheering for an out of market team. Special sporting events like the olympics or the world/euro cup would also be missed.
Ya sports would be a hard thing to overcome. I imagine a day where we're not stuck with channels we don't want in a bundle but we can pick and choose channels directly from the providers themselves. Imagine purchasing a Flames or NHL package from CBC/TSN/Sportsnet for live streaming only. I'd jump at that.

When you hear of companies like Yahoo trying to bid on the Olympics to show the events via streaming, it gives me hope that we'll get there one day.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got an Apple TV for Christmas! I've been really happy with it but if a new model is available a mere 3 months later this will only reinforce my wife's crazy idea that we shouldn't be purchasing gadgets that are so quickly outdated. Ugh.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I want is for them to announce Flash support. I love my Ipad2, but that's the one glaring thing that annoys me. It's like a hit or miss everytime I go to a website with videos.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You know there is an app for it if you must play with the devil
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I know. I bought the app. It works ok I guess, but not perfect. I'd still rather it be natively supported instead.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just wait 5-10 more years and all flash will be dead and problems will be solved!