Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #81
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So the Habs had the exact same offer on the table.

Whats the difference in take home on that contract playing Quebec vs Texas?
Try reading the thread bro
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #82
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Slugs?

Darren Haynes‏Verified account @DarrenWHaynes 19h19 hours ago
More
Even-strength points in 2016-17:
- Paul Byron, 21-17-38
- Alexander Radulov, 12-26-38

One will make $1.17M this season, the other $6.25M.
I saw one for Jagr as well compared to Radulov somewhere, and Jagr looked good next to Radulov as well.

I am not so high on Radulov either, but at the very least he can go a long way in helping to make a team better on the PP, and that has value (ask us Flames' fans how valuable that was at the beginning of last season! haha).

I don't think Montreal necessarily did a bad move by not bringing him back, but I do think their defensive depth is suffering and (on paper) they are worse than last season. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for them.

As for Dallas - I have seen this show before. I remember when they won the west not long ago, and then stumbled back down. Does Hitchcock still 'have it'?

Dallas played with the exact same structure as the Flames did under Hartley. Up-tempo and counter-attack in a flash. I think they stumbled because of poor goaltending (just like Calgary) and that they didn't have the horses on defence to play that system out (like Calgary with Russel and Wideman that year who just couldn't keep up).

I do think that Dallas is a better team after their moves - especially in net. That alone is going to get them at least 3 or 4 more wins outright, and maybe some OT/SO losses as well. That's quite a bit of difference. Hitchcock I am sure will implement a stifling system (for you poolies, maybe you want to reorder Benn/Seguin down a notch or two, or at least Klingberg as he won't have as much offensive freedom). It is a shame, as I quite enjoy watching a Dallas game.

It will be interesting to see which team gets pushed out this year. Heck, it may even be Nashville if Rinne starts showing signs of being worn down (long playoffs) and Saros just doesn't live up to the hype. My money is on either the Hawks or the Blues (coin flip). I think Dallas will get a bit more boring but much more successful this year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #83
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Slugs?

Darren Haynes‏Verified account @DarrenWHaynes 19h19 hours ago
More
Even-strength points in 2016-17:
- Paul Byron, 21-17-38
- Alexander Radulov, 12-26-38

One will make $1.17M this season, the other $6.25M.
But - how likely is Byron to repeat that? I think based on his history, that production will be tough. He was finally opportunistic last season playing a bottom 6 role.

Radulov does face more difficult matchups, and has a strong history in the KHL that suggests his production, if anything should be better next year.

Don't love the long term commitment to Radulov, but I don't expect there to be the same type of comparison in next season's statistics.
Matt Reeeeead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #84
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
But - how likely is Byron to repeat that? I think based on his history, that production will be tough. He was finally opportunistic last season playing a bottom 6 role.

Radulov does face more difficult matchups, and has a strong history in the KHL that suggests his production, if anything should be better next year.

Don't love the long term commitment to Radulov, but I don't expect there to be the same type of comparison in next season's statistics.
I'll give the likely hood to Byron as he is 3 years younger and much faster.

(Repeating that production in their careers)
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #85
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
So much hope for the Stars on this board. Look at that defence and they will be lucky to finish 8th in the West.

Methot - Klingberg + Hamhuis - Lindell isn't that bad of a top 4 when you consider they have Honka knocking on the door, who by all accounts should fit into the top 5 sooner than later.

Consider they have upgraded their goaltending situation as well and I can't see that group being a major detriment when compared to the average playoff team. The Stars should be a force again this year barring any unforeseen injury issue to key players.