Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
You're probably right that I under value Bennett right now. But I think his future is bright. I'm hoping he signs a cheap "show me" bridge deal. Hence why I think he'll get less AAV than Ferland.

Ferland scored more goals last year, will likely start the season on the first line (barring a signing or trade for a top RW), and brings other intangibles that Bennett doesn't have yet (mainly physicality but he also has a terrific shot). We're all hoping Bennett can be that tough feisty player that he showed flashes of in the 2015 playoffs but he still has lots of development left. I feel Ferland is closer to reaching his potential. He just needs to find some consistency.
If the team believes in Bennett and Ferland in the same way I do, I hope neither get "show me" short term bridges. Bank on their success, and get term at a lower dollar value now, opposed to paying more after the bridge. It will go a long way to help stabilize the cap situation going forward.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
You're probably right that I under value Bennett right now. But I think his future is bright. I'm hoping he signs a cheap "show me" bridge deal. Hence why I think he'll get less AAV than Ferland...
Even on a short "show me" bridge contract Bennett is getting a higher AAV than Ferland. Comparables for Ferland are hovering around $2.0 m, whereas Bennett's number is very realistically closer to $2.5 on a one or two year deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If the team believes in Bennett and Ferland in the same way I do, I hope neither get "show me" short term bridges. Bank on their success, and get term at a lower dollar value now, opposed to paying more after the bridge. It will go a long way to help stabilize the cap situation going forward.
Of course this is what the team would prefer to do, but there is no way Bennett is signing a deal for longer than two years without getting a big raise. I think that if the Flames can get him signed for three, then that is a coup, but I would be surprised if Bennett agreed to that, and don't believe for a second that he will opt for a longer deal.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

No surprise here. This is something Treliving expected to occurred. It guarantees that Ferland will have a contract before the start of next season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
no.

Bennett more goals, more points, young, similar games played, centre vs. wing, 1st round pick vs 4th round pick.
Ferland actually had more goals, 15-13, points were 26-25 Bennett but Bennett played 5 more games than Ferland (81-76). Draft pedigree is completely irrelevant at this point.

I understand Bennett is younger but let's not pretend he outplayed Ferland last year. Statistically they were a wash (Ferland actually might be a tad better 0.33ppg - 0.32ppg). I could absolutely see Ferland getting more than Bennett. If it weren't for Troy Brouwer, I'd say Bennett was the biggest disappointment of the year.

And please don't take this as me wanting to trade Bennett, I still think he'll be a solid player in the NHL, he just might not be the player most of us had hoped for when we drafted him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #27
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would look for Treliving to get a deal inked before the arb hearing - but by filing Ferland's agent is just doing his job.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
If it weren't for Troy Brouwer, I'd say Bennett was the biggest disappointment of the year.
If it weren't for Brouwer, I think Bennett would've had a much better year. Once he got away from him and centered the Versteeg-Chaisson duo he looked excellent.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the NHLPA. 30 Players have elected Salary Arbitration:
  1. Jordan Martinook
  2. Ryan Spooner
  3. Nathan Beaulieu
  4. Johan Larsson
  5. Robin Lehner
  6. Micheal Ferland
  7. Matt Nieto
  8. Tomas Tatar
  9. Joey LaLeggia
  10. Kevin Gravel
  11. Mikael Granlund
  12. Nino Niederreiter
  13. Alex Galchenyuk
  14. Viktor Arvidsson
  15. Marek Mazanec
  16. Austin Watson
  17. Calvin de Haan
  18. Jesper Fast
  19. Mika Zibanejad
  20. Ryan Dzingel
  21. Jean-Gabriel Pageau
  22. Brian Dumoulin
  23. Conor Sheary
  24. Colton Parayko
  25. Tyler Johnson
  26. Ondrej Palat
  27. Reid Boucher
  28. Michael Chaput
  29. Nate Schmidt
  30. Connor Hellebuyck
Old 07-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
From the NHLPA. 30 Players have elected Salary Arbitration:
Michael Chaput
Seriously? The same Michael Chaput that lit it up with the Sedins in Vancouver this season?

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-05-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #31
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

They seem to use comparables in these arbitration cases. The closest comparable I could think of was Kassian, in both production and style, which came in at 3 x 1.95.... I could live with that. Even a 2 year at the same money.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-06-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #32
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could see the sabres walking away from Lehner if he gets too much. This was the old regime pick, and i get the feeling he is a big reason Murray is gone.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

In general arbitration is good as it sets a deadline where a contract will be given out that no one is happy with. The NHL designed the process really well. I think it should be expanded to all players after the ELC but maybe with slightly different walk away rules as it prevents the Johnny Gaudreau situation from happening where camp and the start of the season was the only leverage to force a deal to be made.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
I could see the sabres walking away from Lehner if he gets too much. This was the old regime pick, and i get the feeling he is a big reason Murray is gone.
Can you walk away if the arbitrator awards what you think is too much? Isn't the contract binding on both parties, causing teams to not make qualifying offers to players who they are worried will be awarded too much in arbitration?
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #35
Knut

Exp:

Joey LaLeggia has not even played an NHL game. He is an AHLer ... WTF. It is an Oilers prospect, so they probably screwed something up.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #36
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Seriously? The same Michael Chaput that lit it up with the Sedins in Vancouver this season?
Crazy right

How was this guy not locked up long term
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #37
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Can you walk away if the arbitrator awards what you think is too much? Isn't the contract binding on both parties, causing teams to not make qualifying offers to players who they are worried will be awarded too much in arbitration?
You can only walk away if it's over a certain threshold (~3.5 million I think).

The team can also pick the term to be 1 or 2 years at the awarded arbitration amount. If the team or player want to sign long term then they have to do it outside of arbitration.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
For player-elected arbitration, the team can walk away from awards over a certain amount.

At the beginning of this CBA, the walkaway amount was $3.5 million a year. That number is adjusted each year to match the year-over-year change in the average player's salary. I don't know what this year's walkaway amount is, but it's likely somewhere around $4 million.

Teams can't walk away from team-elected arbitration awards. I don't believe any teams filed for arbitration on any players this year.

Teams don't qualify players if they feel he will receive an arbitration award below the walkaway amount, but more than they want to pay. That's why the Flames didn't qualify Chiasson and Colborne.