Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #21
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
If worst came to worst and the Flames had to play one of them in the lineup, I'd probably take Bollig over Gazdic.

Hell no. Gazdic knows his role and at least does that. Bollig is bad at hockey and even worse at fighting. The worst "enforcer" this team has ever employed, and that includes Ivanans who played one game and got knocked out so hard he went on IR for the remainder of his contract.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #22
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

fun thread to read through: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=138104
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #23
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep, Bollig was the biggest fake tough guy in the league. Soft as butter and rarely ever stood up for teammates. Could barely fight either when he did and wasn't intimidating anyone.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
ha what? why?
Because the Flames signed Gazdic.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #25
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Yep, Bollig was the biggest fake tough guy in the league. Soft as butter and rarely ever stood up for teammates. Could barely fight either when he did and wasn't intimidating anyone.
And the cherry on top of the poop sundae. He sucks at hockey too.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #26
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty funny that some people are making fun of the Sharks for this move but are claiming that the Gadzik move for Calgary is not a big deal.

It's the same reasoning for both teams... That is, add a guy who can support in the AHL and maybe come up to the NHL on occasion when a tough guy is needed. Not a big deal for either team.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Are you suggesting that because you feel vindicated?

Because you shouldn't.

And in the end, Bollig contributed for a while, then helped down in Stockton. Unless you were suggesting taking Viktor Arvidsson, the pick ended up being of less value.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #28
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Are you suggesting that because you feel vindicated?

Because you shouldn't.

And in the end, Bollig contributed for a while, then helped down in Stockton. Unless you were suggesting taking Viktor Arvidsson, the pick ended up being of less value.
Just because what I suggested as a pick, from a fan's perspective, didn't turn out, doesn't mean it wasn't a poor value trade that was obvious from the second it was made. A suggestion on who they should have drafted was never the point. I'm not looking for vindication, but I took way too much flack on this forum (for a long time) for this opinion.

The reason why I posted it that thread here was that Bollig came in and was the exact opposite of what the majority of posters thought he would be. Contrasting that thread to this thread is just entertaining. Nothing to post aggressively over.

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-04-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #29
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too am surprised that broken hand Brouwer didn't fight much.. lol
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #30
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is Brouwer a "tough guy"? That label is typically reserved for those players who are pretty much useless filler on a NHL roster apart from their ability to intimidate. Brouwer had a bad year, but he is a legitimate NHL player who can actually play hockey. I don't think Brouwer is a "tough guy."
He also broke his hand.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #31
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Capfriendly is now showing his contract at 650k.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #32
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I skimmed through the first few pages and it seems to me like most posters got it right. Bolig was brought in to be an upgrade on Westgarth. And he was. Good trade. (upgrades are good)

And you got owned in that thread. I found Resolute14s post #204 especially amusing. And you are bringing it back up?
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #33
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
One of my least favourite Flames "tough guys" of all time. He managed to avoid standing up for teammates to an impressive degree.

No surprise he finished his contract in the AHL as a result.
I don't know... Andre Roy gives Bollig a run for his money in my opinion. Boy did he frustrate me.

As for Bollig, Treliving didn't trade for him just to have an enforcer. Treliving felt that there was some skill (and Q did use him on the PK somewhat in Chicago). Bollig just.. didn't do much. At all.

I also don't think any team employs an enforcer these days. I can't think of a straight-up enforcer left in the NHL. Lucic will be in the last couple of years of his contract, but even he doesn't count for now.

I do think that guys like Brouwer are expected to do that. Chiasson even dropped the gloves this season (which I found surprising) when he stood up for someone (I can't remember who now though.. was it Stajan??). That is actually why I am an advocate of bringing back Iginla. He could step up and do that when really necessary, but can still provide decent play and depth scoring on the 4th or maybe 3rd line.

I look at the Flames and I do feel that they are a bit exposed at the moment (though many others will disagree, and that's fair). I just remember the Lucic running over Miller incident, and how that team just imploded after that - or how Vancouver imploded after Calgary started their tough guys and Torts over-reacted. Having to deal with Lucic, Kassian, Maroon and Nurse all season is going to be taxing. It isn't quite like dealing with a guy like MacIntyre who couldn't skate and who the refs would jump on right away. Will be interesting to see how the Flames handle that side of the game.

Either way, Bollig wasn't an answer for anything, though kudos to him for playing well in Stockton and being a good leader by all accounts.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #34
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
I skimmed through the first few pages and it seems to me like most posters got it right. Bolig was brought in to be an upgrade on Westgarth. And he was. Good trade. (upgrades are good)

And you got owned in that thread. I found Resolute14s post #204 especially amusing. And you are bringing it back up?
I got owned? Not a single poster in that thread actually broke down the things I was saying, and went right after the poster because I didn't like the trade. It was a particularly rough patch for this forum. You couldn't say anything against the grain without getting blasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Every time I read one of your posts, I think back to an old saying:

"The wise man speaks because he has something to say. The fool speaks because he has to say something."

And you, Ashasx, are not the wise man. You come in and basically moon threads up with your whining and crying, and far too often derail threads. I'd call you a troll if I didn't believe you have legitimately fooled yourself into believing you are smarter than everyone else.
This is the post you mention. Nothing here actually identifies anything I've said and criticizes it. It's just a fly by against the poster.

I didn't post that thread in here to bring this up (my posts didn't even start until a decent way into the thread, and were done well before the end). But you can be damn sure that I'm going to defend my position if you want to bring it up, particularly after how it all turned out.

And your evaluation really isn't correct. There were a few posts that didn't like that trade to start off, but then the thread went on a complete tangent saying that if Bollig was able to play 10 minutes on an elite team in Chicago, surely he would be an good addition. Being better than Kevin Westgarth (who played 36 games for the Flames) is not an acceptable standard to set, especially when you consider how these types of assets are always had for free in free agency.

I love Treliving. Most familiar posters here know that, but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-04-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #35
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre's 1st trade as our GM IIRC?

Thank goodness he's made a lot better trades since then.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote