Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #61
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the other hand, Feaster was able to trade Erixon to get Roman Horak + 2 picks (Granlund & Wotherspoon).

To some extent, others teams also valued Erixon highly enough to trade for him...

Last edited by shadowlord; 07-04-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: In response to MarkGio comment about the Flames poor drafting.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 AM   #62
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I know it's good to laugh at Erixon due to the way he treated the Flames, but man it just goes to show how bad the Flames drafting was. What a waste of a pick
Not really a wasted pick since he had enough value to be traded for 2 2nds and Horak. This one is pretty low down the list of bad Flames draft picks.

That said they could have drafted Marcus Johansson, Kyle Palmieri, or Ryan O'Reilly instead...
Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #63
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate myself when I cheer for people to falter, but things worked out for him just how they should have.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 AM   #64
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I know it's good to laugh at Erixon due to the way he treated the Flames, but man it just goes to show how bad the Flames drafting was. What a waste of a pick
What's changed since then? Drafting/development is still terrible.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 02:01 AM   #65
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter Budaj? Didn't he sign with Tampa?
Old 07-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #66
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Peter Budaj? Didn't he sign with Tampa?
The OP is from 10-03-2016.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 04:03 AM   #67
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
What's changed since then? Drafting/development is still terrible.
Has it been terrible? It was during the young guns era, improved a bit under Sutter, improved a bit more under Feaster, and Treliving is TBD but signs are positive.

The current roster is filled with drafted/developed players with Backlund, Bennett, Ferland, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Brodie, and Giordano, plus Hathaway, Jankowski, Anderson and Kulak, who have a chance to make the team. Doesn't seem that terrible to me.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Crazy it's been 8 years since his draft, and 6 years since he wouldn't sign and had to be traded.

It is somehow fitting that the Flames drafted a defenseman in the first round again for the first time since drafting Tom in the same year he fades from NHL existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #69
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think Erixon was a bad pick at all. In fact, that was some really good scouting, as Erixon became a highly touted prospect AFTER the Flames drafted him.

He just ended up becoming an entitled brat. Also, it isn't difficult to see that favoritism is rampant in the NHL. A team will always prefer to give their own prospects a chance first as they invested a lot of time into them.

I bet had Erixon not been such a twit that year, that he would have turned out to be a better player in the Flames organization. They would have given him chance after chance, and there really wasn't much pressure at the time given that the Flames were just about to enter a rebuild as well.
Nah, Erixon was a bad pick, but in hindsight. The reality is, he did us a favour by being an entitled brat as we got far more value trading him than we would have had he signed here.

Erixon has played less than 100 NHL games, despite being a highly touted first round pick, and the odds of him playing another NHL game is slim. That, honestly, is a bust.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #70
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think Erixon was a bad pick at all. In fact, that was some really good scouting, as Erixon became a highly touted prospect AFTER the Flames drafted him.

He just ended up becoming an entitled brat. Also, it isn't difficult to see that favoritism is rampant in the NHL. A team will always prefer to give their own prospects a chance first as they invested a lot of time into them.

I bet had Erixon not been such a twit that year, that he would have turned out to be a better player in the Flames organization. They would have given him chance after chance, and there really wasn't much pressure at the time given that the Flames were just about to enter a rebuild as well.
I have my doubts. Mainly because the Flames didn't come away with a single player from that draft year. Not even one 4th liner! Whereas teams like Ottawa and NY came away with several, even in the later rounds.

No question Erixon was a brat and the proof is in the fact he's played for so many different teams. But the Flames were also really bad at drafting too. I think in this case it's both bad drafting on the Flames part as well as bad luck with a lousy person.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #71
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Has it been terrible? It was during the young guns era, improved a bit under Sutter, improved a bit more under Feaster, and Treliving is TBD but signs are positive.

The current roster is filled with drafted/developed players with Backlund, Bennett, Ferland, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Brodie, and Giordano, plus Hathaway, Jankowski, Anderson and Kulak, who have a chance to make the team. Doesn't seem that terrible to me.
Knock out Bennett, Monahan and Tkachuk. They weren't developed by the Flames, they were drafted NHL ready. As far as the drafting goes, you or I could have made those picks. So three of the last five years the Flames have shown they are able to sewer a season, and then make their lottery pick. Congratulations to them.

So for current roster players that leaves Giordano (04), Backlund (07), Brodie (08), Ferland (10), and Gaudreau (11). The AHL team has given the current Flames roster four players. Should be mentioned that a few players the Flames developed are on other teams. McElhinney, Granlund, Bouma and Baertschi.

That's 9 NHL players out of ~900 developed by the Flames. And notice that 8 of those 9 were Sutter picks.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote