Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooo after some time playing, is Civ 6 that much better than Civ 5?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #22
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that after the latest patch, Civ 6 is very close to where Civ 5 was at the end. I have no desire to go back and play 5 at all.

I think it's a no-brainer that 6 will surpass 5 with the next major release.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 AM   #23
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
ya you can basically "turtle", build a nice defensive military fortified in encampments and try and win other ways.

there's 5 ways to win:
domination=control all other civ original capitals
religious=have the majority of civs (not city states) follow your religion
cultural=your tourism is higher than anyone elses domestic tourism
score=this is based on going a full 500 or whatever turns you set, and, its a combination of all things like science and religion and wonders you've built
science= be the first to man a mars mission to space

you can also change a game so there's only certain victory types available
This change bugs me, I much preferred domination by controlling the majority of land and population. I finally rage quit Civ V when I took over every city in the world but couldn't get a domination victory because London was located on the end of a peninsula on an inland sea and I could only send one unit to attack at a time.

Also, it is not very realistic. As Napoleon can attest to controlling a capital does not mean you have taken over the country.

Anyways, after hearing more of the improvements and good reviews I think this will be the first game I pick up when I eventually upgrade my laptop.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #24
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
This change bugs me, I much preferred domination by controlling the majority of land and population. I finally rage quit Civ V when I took over every city in the world but couldn't get a domination victory because London was located on the end of a peninsula on an inland sea and I could only send one unit to attack at a time.

Also, it is not very realistic. As Napoleon can attest to controlling a capital does not mean you have taken over the country.

Anyways, after hearing more of the improvements and good reviews I think this will be the first game I pick up when I eventually upgrade my laptop.
Sounds like you needed some air support and battleships.

I digress, though.

I think it's much easier to sack all capitals vs control most cities. Maybe. I guess you could raze a bunch of cities to the ground but imagine a huge map with a hundred cities? Having to conquer dozens of cities? Sounds awful.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #25
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I digress, though.

I think it's much easier to sack all capitals vs control most cities. Maybe. I guess you could raze a bunch of cities to the ground but imagine a huge map with a hundred cities? Having to conquer dozens of cities? Sounds awful.
I had not reached the modern era yet and had no patience to wait it out. Also I could not send in any naval units as the capital was on an inland sea and its culture prevented me from building a city on the same sea. The map designs in Civ V were just atrocious.

Agreed it would normally be easier to get a domination by sacking all the capitals however you could actually do this in IV. One of my domination strategies was to directly attack a capital which would normally force the other Civ to be your vassal. No need to take over every city in the world.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I digress, though.

Did you ever play Civ 2. That's exactly what it was. Nuclear war was an effective method to do it quickly. I think the condition their was conquer all cities. So the hard part was finding the last few on the map. Took forever.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #27
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did you ever play Civ 2. That's exactly what it was. Nuclear war was an effective method to do it quickly. I think the condition their was conquer all cities. So the hard part was finding the last few on the map. Took forever.
only played civ 4 5 and 6
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #28
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
only played civ 4 5 and 6
I grew up with Civ II, and for the last fifteen years have played Civ III only. I tried IV when it came out, but it was overly complex for me. I'm not a big gamer, and III was the perfect balance of complexity and accessibility.

That said, I still miss the wonder videos from Civ 2. So good.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #29
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally have gotten around to playing this and as expected I'm loving it. I'll eventually get around to screwing with mods and whatnot but I'm still trying to get a handle on the changes between this one and Civ IV.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote