Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Can't connect iBook g4 to telus internet?

Hey guys,

Being a PC person, I'm having a little trouble.

My gf has an old ibook that I want to get up and running again, so she can surf the net and basically that is all.

I can't seem to get it to connect to the internet. It sees the wireless networks, I have input the proper password etc, it's just not connecting.

Also it's old and shatty so it might not run properly anyway. Just wanting to bide some time before buying a new (PC) laptop.

Anyone had any experience with a stubborn iBook G4 and know what to do? I know how to get into my router settings if anyone knows what to do- seems like the Telus techs are a little busy today, and the last time I spoke with one they had no clue wtf was happening.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Hey guys,

My gf has an old ibook that I want to get up and running again, so she can surf the net and basically that is all.

I can't seem to get it to connect to the internet. It sees the wireless networks, I have input the proper password etc, it's just not connecting.

Also it's old and shatty so it might not run properly anyway. Just wanting to bide some time before buying a new (PC) laptop.

Anyone had any experience with a stubborn iBook G4 and know what to do? I know how to get into my router settings if anyone knows what to do- seems like the Telus techs are a little busy today, and the last time I spoke with one they had no clue wtf was happening.
WPA or WPA2 encrypted wifi? Older router? This is likely an incompatibility between the Mac and the router’s encryption, an issue I’ve seen as recently as just a few weeks ago.

Dropping down to WEP encryption would, I bet, solve this issue.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey guys,

Chances are it is encryption issues like sclitheroe is saying.

If WEP doesn't work. Are you using the Telus Wireless router or a 3rd party router? I have a vague recollection of Telus requiring you to register your MAC address to connect to their network? Do they still do that with their new combo router/modem?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Chances are it is encryption issues like sclitheroe is saying.

If WEP doesn't work. Are you using the Telus Wireless router or a 3rd party router? I have a vague recollection of Telus requiring you to register your MAC address to connect to their network? Do they still do that with their new combo router/modem?
Shouldn’t be an issue in this case - its the connection to an existing router, which would already have its MAC address registered with Telus.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does the router have MAC address filtering enabled?
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Does the router have MAC address filtering enabled?
That’s a good question too!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update-

They had to register the MAC address properly on the computer itself, and manually set everything up. Works okay now, although the computer itself has seen better days.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Update-

They had to register the MAC address properly on the computer itself, and manually set everything up. Works okay now, although the computer itself has seen better days.
That’s quite odd - if there is a router in front of the modem, there should be only one MAC address visible on the ISP side, that of the router’s outside interface.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Update-

SO it is the Telus router then?

When I suggested it I thought it would be idiotic if it actually worked but since it was Telus I didn't put it past them without mentioning it as a possiblity.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
SO it is the Telus router then?

When I suggested it I thought it would be idiotic if it actually worked but since it was Telus I didn't put it past them without mentioning it as a possiblity.
Or the wifi was MAC filtered - it’s hard to tell from the description, but its working so I guess we’ll never know
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I don't understand it well enough to give a better description!

I think what it is, is the ibook needed to have the connection reset somehow (we had the same wireless network on it at a previous house, with different hardware but same name/pw). Other devices don't care, as long as the basics were the same, but this ibook is funky.