Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Syndicate to get a franchise reboot?

The Escapist is reporting that Electronic Arts has filed to renew their trademark to the Syndicate franchise from the mid 90's. Possible reboot in the works?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Registrations

I was a huge fan of Syndicate when it was released. I was but of a lad in my teens then and setting 2D sprites on fire with the flamethrower was gigglefit inspiring.

Fast forward a good 15 years. Technology has changed. Syndicate was epic back in the day, it can be just as epic today, especially with what games like Bioshock have shown us in terms of character augmentations.

I'm just going out on a limb here, but I'm envisioning a first person shooter with optional drop-in co-op. Player controls a cyborg agent tasked with completing various objectives chronologically. How he completes those objectives is entirely up to him, like in Hitman. You can go through the front door, guns blazing, or you can sneak silently around the back and complete your objective without anyone ever knowing you were even there. The ends always justify the means. It doesn't matter if you leave a bloody mess behind, as long as the objective gets completed.

The idea of controlling a virtually indestructible cybernetic with matrix-like powers makes me giddy. One mission going through an entire office building to kill a rival CEO, entirely in an adrenaline fueled bullet-time high... the next mission swapping in his stealth augments and infiltrating a military base with cloaking capabilities, immaculate hand-to-hand prowess...

My standards are probably pretty high. Nonetheless, I remain optimistic.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 08-05-2010 at 08:39 AM.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Exciting, but the fact that it will likely be a first person shooter is putting me off. There was something really cool about managing a team of agents from a distance and augmenting them between missions.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. I almost forgot about that game. I wonder if the disc is still at my folks' place and if I could run it on an emulator.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I misread the title as Syndicate to get a franchise robot? I am now very disappointed with the contents of this thread.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is EA. Nobody should have high hopes of anything, other than being $69.99 poorer.

Which is regrettable, as Syndicate was a pretty awesome game.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
The Escapist is reporting that Electronic Arts has filed to renew their trademark to the Syndicate franchise from the mid 90's. Possible reboot in the works?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Registrations

I was a huge fan of Syndicate when it was released. I was but of a lad in my teens then and setting 2D sprites on fire with the flamethrower was gigglefit inspiring.

Fast forward a good 15 years. Technology has changed. Syndicate was epic back in the day, it can be just as epic today, especially with what games like Bioshock have shown us in terms of character augmentations.

I'm just going out on a limb here, but I'm envisioning a first person shooter with optional drop-in co-op. Player controls a cyborg agent tasked with completing various objectives chronologically. How he completes those objectives is entirely up to him, like in Hitman. You can go through the front door, guns blazing, or you can sneak silently around the back and complete your objective without anyone ever knowing you were even there. The ends always justify the means. It doesn't matter if you leave a bloody mess behind, as long as the objective gets completed.

The idea of controlling a virtually indestructible cybernetic with matrix-like powers makes me giddy. One mission going through an entire office building to kill a rival CEO, entirely in an adrenaline fueled bullet-time high... the next mission swapping in his stealth augments and infiltrating a military base with cloaking capabilities, immaculate hand-to-hand prowess...

My standards are probably pretty high. Nonetheless, I remain optimistic.
Rather than a first person shooter as you’ve suggested, I’d like to see a renewed Syndicate retain the tactical view. Combine that with a huge, persistent map of a future megalopolis inhabited by multiple corporations rather than levels like the old one, add some strong online multiplayer where various corps do battle on that big map, and I think you’d have a winner.

Oh and the miniguns were far cooler than the flamethrowers
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Oh and the miniguns were far cooler than the flamethrowers
I don't disagree, but with the flamethrowers you could hear the enemy scream. No matter what I used, I would always try to take out as many of those hovering cars as I could.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

wow - what a blast from the past. This kind of game would be a brilliant Itouch port.

That and Xwing vs. Tie fighter... and X-COM UFO Defense.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
wow - what a blast from the past. This kind of game would be a brilliant Itouch port.

That and Xwing vs. Tie fighter... and X-COM UFO Defense.
Good call, EA has been making a lot of iPod games as of late aswell.

Wouldn't be surprised if that is why they are re-registering the name

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Lets hope that it remains in an isometric view and not another GTA/Mafia or it doesn't get turned into something wierd like an FPS like the new XCOM
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote