Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #301
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw Rogue 1 yesterday and I thouroughly enjoyed the movie.
I take fiction for what it is and I enjoy it as such. I will look forward to owning this on Blue ray and watching it multiple times.
I also look forward to seeing all future Star Wars films.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #302
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

That's why I believe that Kylo Ren will not be redeemed, he will eventually figure out the lie that is Snoke and kill him and take his place as the new Emperor of the First Order which puts him on a confrontational course with Rey the last person that he showed mercy to when he saved her life at the Jedi Temple and then abandoned her on Jakku.

Of course now, Ren see's her as the last sign of goodness in him and feels a need to eradicate her so he can complete his ascension beyond what his grandfather was.
He didn't really show her any mercy, he knew she had seen the map and needed to extract it from her.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #303
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked the movie but didnt care at all for any of the rebel group. I didnt identify with or care for any of them at the time of their deaths. Not a single strong character and thats fine. Its a 1 off, kind of disposable Star Wars off shoot story.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #304
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My expectations for the Star Wars movies is pretty low so I will say this movie delivered. Nothing special but after a slightly boring first half was fairly entertaining. Was kind of interesting how everyone died at the end but I did like how it tied in at the end to Episode IV. Darth Vader was the best part of the film and IMO they really need to do a movie where he's front and central as that guy (Kylo Ren) from the Force Awakens is about as menacing as Homer Simpson.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #305
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

l've avoided this thread, as I'm off to see it in IMAX shortly!! Super excited!!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #306
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought this movie was really awesome. It was nice to have a movie with more gritty action and real consequences. Also nice that there were no "Holy Crap, person X is person Y's brother/father/son/cousin/babysitter!!" moments in this one. Above all, there was no battlestation to destory.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #307
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I thought this movie was really awesome. It was nice to have a movie with more gritty action and real consequences. Also nice that there were no "Holy Crap, person X is person Y's brother/father/son/cousin/babysitter!!" moments in this one. Above all, there was no battlestation to destory.
I mean... there really was. The overall goal of the movie was "destroy the Death Star" -- they just don't accomplish that until the next one.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #308
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

a lot of people say the Vader massacre was the best part of this movie and I get why, but it's just weird when you think about it. imagine this was a movie about a group of heroic British or American soldiers tasked with stealing the plans for a Nazi superweapon. they succeed (though sadly dying in the effort)...but instead of feeling bittersweet about their sacrifice, suddenly a Nazi super soldier appears, effortlessly murdering the crap out of like 20 panicked allied troops and nearly preventing the delivery of the plans. and while he's doing that, the crowd erupts in cheers and applause at how amazing he is at slaughtering good guys.

that's what we've turned Vader into...at one point he was still a villain we cheered against like we're supposed to, but now all we want to see is him do violent lightsaber and force stuff to innocent people. I hope future movies that feature him find a way to make him someone to hate again.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #309
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
that's what we've turned Vader into...at one point he was still a villain we cheered against like we're supposed to, but now all we want to see is him do violent lightsaber and force stuff to innocent people. I hope future movies that feature him find a way to make him someone to hate again.
Get him back into pod racing or talking about sand. That will have people hating him again.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #310
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
a lot of people say the Vader massacre was the best part of this movie
Vader's are almost invariably the only scenes worth watching in all the movies.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #311
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I watched TFA again recently. Now, I was pretty stoned, but I swear I saw several hints that Rey could be Snoke. I fell asleep about halfway through cuz it was like 3:30am so I want to watch it again all the way through to see if this theory stands up.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #312
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I watched TFA again recently. Now, I was pretty stoned, but I swear I saw several hints that Rey could be Snoke. I fell asleep about halfway through cuz it was like 3:30am so I want to watch it again all the way through to see if this theory stands up.
You'll have to explain that possible theory, because I just watched TFA, and have no clue how you could come to that conclusion.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #313
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
a lot of people say the Vader massacre was the best part of this movie and I get why, but it's just weird when you think about it. imagine this was a movie about a group of heroic British or American soldiers tasked with stealing the plans for a Nazi superweapon. they succeed (though sadly dying in the effort)...but instead of feeling bittersweet about their sacrifice, suddenly a Nazi super soldier appears, effortlessly murdering the crap out of like 20 panicked allied troops and nearly preventing the delivery of the plans. and while he's doing that, the crowd erupts in cheers and applause at how amazing he is at slaughtering good guys.

The boat where the audience is not supposed to be cheering for the villain has long since disappeared behind the horizon. You know, Dexter, Hannibal...

Actually, long before that people have gone to monster movies to see the monsters do their thing.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #314
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from IMAX. Spectacular film and effects. Easily the best 3D in a film I've ever seen. Loved the characters and storyline. I remember in ep 4 it was mentioned how much sacrifice was made to retrieve the death star plans. Boy it sure showed this film, especially in the last part of the film.. I also loved the ending and how you can pop in episode 4 right after and it won't miss a beat.

Also extremely satisfying was seeing the star destroyers ram into each other. Just one of those scenes that satisfies you to the core.

All in all a great film. Highly recommend seeing in on IMAX 3D if you have the chance. I like movies that aren't just a film to watch, but something to experience and I think this film hit the nail on the head.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #315
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I'll say about the CGI people is this.

I believe, when creating someone that actually exists in an animated form, vs creating an original character - like many of the CGI aliens/monsters we see or even an original person - it falls victim to caricature. Even if in the slightest, as is this case here. Tarkin's wrinkles, droopy eyes and posture are exaggerated to ensure the likeness to this specific person. Leia's puffy and red cheeks and large eyes are also an example.

It is absolutely brilliant animation. Fantastic and I have huge respect for the people who will spend their time making something so beautiful. But it's discernible from the real thing.

Partially because we know that person cannot be there. I had no idea Tarkin was going to be in this. And I only got wind of Leia's appearance because of Fisher's passing. I specifically avoided everything but the first trailer for this movie. I actually thought the Orson Krennic character might be Tarkin. But I noticed it right away. Of course I did. Those people aren't alive, they must be CGI.

It's brilliant work and high praise goes to the special effects team.

I don't know if this is posted in here, but it's a pretty awesome break down of how Rogue One plays into ANH and to me, it really makes me feel like this is the first movie that should have been there all along. It makes ANH more interesting and makes me want to watch it immediately after. It pumps up the Empire and the threat of the Death Star, thus the implications of ANH. These guys just devastated two planets, then follow it up by completely destroying another peaceful planet with no weapons just to prove a point. I really think they nailed this one.

Last edited by Coach; 01-03-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #316
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would argue that its easy to say that Tarkin and Leia looked video gamey, but if you had that CGI in front of a CGI background there would be a bunch of people having ceiling dousing nerdgasms.

However because you put CGI in front of practical sets its going to be fairly easy to pick up.

Combine that with the next to impossible task of programming emotion and ticks it makes it look slightly inhuman. Which to me worked with Tarkin very well. When you watch him in ANH Peter Cushing made him cold and a bit reptilian and he had a glare and rarely blinked. Like his CGI model.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #317
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it a second time tonight and liked it a lot more. I thought the first go was a bit confusing so knowing who was who and all that stuff before hand made it a lot easier to follow. I still don't think it was as good as TFA, but the characters and story was not as bad as I originally thought.

Another thing was that my issues with Vader were a little overblown. He wasn't as bad as I remembered.

Also I'm not hungover and in a bad mood this time, so that probably helps too. I'd bump my initial 7/10 up to an 8/10. Still not perfect, but fun nonetheless. The CGI still didn't bother me.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #318
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is a bit of an aside, but something that really amazed me about TFA is how much the marketing to kids in toys and licensing and stuff was pushing the First Order. These guys are genocidal to an extent far more than anything in the original movies, with Nazi and SS inspired imagery, and rather than being held up as a symbol of evil, it's being used to sell 3 speed bikes and party cutlery. I'm all for toys that let you pick which roles you want to play and that let you play out being the bad guys. Maybe I'm just sensitive as a parent, but I'm not really comfortable with the direction that Star Wars merchandising has taken and I think the franchise suffers for it too as it does really cheapen it's idea of evil.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #319
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I never would have thought we would still be talking about the CGI. Not that I think this is a bad thing nor am I ragging on those who have a problem with it, it was just such a non factor for me that I never thought it would be a hot topic.

It really does make me wonder if different copies/theaters had different quality versions.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #320
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's probably a difference between 3D and normal as well regarding the CGI. I saw the regular non-3D version and Tarkin stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Leia looked fine however.

Either way still an awesome movie!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote