Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #741
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Not surprising.
I am surprised it took so long, to be honest.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #742
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #743
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

popcorn.gif
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #744
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am surprised it took so long, to be honest.
When you have time, take the time to do it right. Don Fehr is a clown who I think is more interested in destroying pro sports than anything else, but he is nothing if not meticulous. And on something like this, he was going to make sure he files something as strong as possible.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #745
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
When you have time, take the time to do it right. Don Fehr is a clown who I think is more interested in destroying pro sports more than anything else, but he is nothing if not meticulous. And on something like this, he was going to make sure he files something as strong as possible.

Yeah fair enough, it just seemed odd that there wasn't even some statements saying "we disagree, and are in the process of compiling the information to show Mike is innocent" or maybe there was and I missed it.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #746
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah fair enough, it just seemed odd that there wasn't even some statements saying "we disagree, and are in the process of compiling the information to show Mike is innocent" or maybe there was and I missed it.
I think it was almost assumed that it was coming. No real pressure for a statement, and he's not going to stir up interest with a premature press release without having facts. And in a case like this, nobody wants to be facing questions that they don't know the answer to, so why invite them
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #747
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a little surprised that the NHLPA is inviting anything that will release the facts of this case. Maybe they think they can win without needing to disclose everything about what allegedly happened at the border and what allegedly alerted them to pull Richards aside in the first place.

I get that they had to fight it from a precedent standpoint, but It will be interesting to see how this is handled and how much is disclosed. I'm quite surprised Richards is OK with this. He must feel he has a really good attorney who can successfully seal some of the alleged evidence.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #748
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope to god the NHLPA wins this case.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #749
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have handled things perfectly as far as protecting the player goes. Releasing some chest pumping, unified statement early on in the process would have served to make headlines drawing more attention to a player who may or may not have a substance abuse problem. The entire story has kind of flown under the radar and even the news of the grievance has been pretty low key.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #750
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I'm a little surprised that the NHLPA is inviting anything that will release the facts of this case. Maybe they think they can win without needing to disclose everything about what allegedly happened at the border and what allegedly alerted them to pull Richards aside in the first place.

I get that they had to fight it from a precedent standpoint, but It will be interesting to see how this is handled and how much is disclosed. I'm quite surprised Richards is OK with this. He must feel he has a really good attorney who can successfully seal some of the alleged evidence.
For 20+ million dollars I'm sure he'll risk disclosing anything.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #751
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope LA is stuck with Richards' contract for another year.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #752
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A greivance arbitration is way more private than a court case. And the NHLPA doesn't particularly care about Richards, as opposed to the precedent.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Ice
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #753
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why exactly would Richards not be okay with this? You make it sound like his involvement in an underground drug ring may be unearthed by the release of facts. Option B would have been being okay with his employer ripping up a contract worth millions of dollars of guaranteed earnings as well as unfairly being branded as a problem player which could influence future employment.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #754
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
A greivance arbitration is way more private than a court case. And the NHLPA doesn't particularly care about Richards, as opposed to the precedent.
No, but they wouldn't be filing a grievance without Richards' consent.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #755
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
No, but they wouldn't be filing a grievance without Richards' consent.
No, of course not. I was just replying to the notion that the NHLPA would try and protect Richards by not filing a grievance. It's frankly silly to think he would want to just roll over on this anyway.

As a matter of fact, I think Richards has to ask the NHLPA to file (I could be wrong about that).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #756
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
For 20+ million dollars I'm sure he'll risk disclosing anything.
Couldn't he go with he has an addiction to pain killers and forgot he had them when crossing the border?

Employers are forced to help people with addictions, not sure how it works when they commit smuggling though. But again, if you are addicted to Heroin a crime is implied there as well.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #757
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I hope LA is stuck with Richards' contract for another year.
Not only that, but I hope a lot worse happens to them for attempting to circumvent the cap or whatever....I don't know, I just hope they get a whole library thrown at them (not just the book).

Sick and tired of teams reaping the benefits of these long term contracts at the beginning, and then finding ways to weasel out of them down the road.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #758
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not only that, but I hope a lot worse happens to them for attempting to circumvent the cap or whatever....I don't know, I just hope they get a whole library thrown at them (not just the book).

Sick and tired of teams reaping the benefits of these long term contracts at the beginning, and then finding ways to weasel out of them down the road.
The other side of the coin is that they restart negotiations with Calgary about a trade. Whatever happens I don't want him here and we no longer have the cap room to be making that sort of deal.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #759
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The other side of the coin is that they restart negotiations with Calgary about a trade. Whatever happens I don't want him here and we no longer have the cap room to be making that sort of deal.
Zero chance he is traded here. Absolutely none, zilch.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #760
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Really? Even if Brad the Wizard Treliving took crazy pills one night and engaged in trade talk for Richards, we wouldn't have the cap space anyways.

Of all the wishes and concerns to possibly come out of this situation, this one is just baffling. Don't worry, this isn't happening because it simply can't.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote