Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #201
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
It's fun for the fans that live in the host city. And I think the players seem to have fun. It's nice for them to have a relaxing weekend in an 82 game season
The players definitely need a break at some point in the season, but I'm sure the elite would much rather not have to travel across the country to play in a meaningless event. Many of them are carrying injuries and end up missing the game because of them - and promptly get suspended for doing so. Hell, they even highlighted Ovechkin saying he "owes it to the fans to come" or Elliott skipping out on a fishing trip in the Turks and Caicos because he felt it was his duty to be here. I think it's pretty clear that the players find it more a responsibility of the job. I'm not saying they don't have fun - they were drunk for the draft and get to screw around on the ice, but given the choice how many would actually rather be elsewhere?

Giving them a week off to recharge their batteries, and recover from any knocks would be far more beneficial.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #202
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
You meant NHL or MLB had no incentive? The baseball game winning side get to have home court advantage in the World Series no?

On the broadcasting side of the ASG, the shootout coverage was horrible. At this age in technology, why couldn't they use glidecam or steadycam?? And boy, were they the same cam men that covered the whole show? It seems they were tired trying to hold that 15 poubds camera.
The NHL has no incentive and none of them care about it. It's one thing to have half of the game's top players pitted against the other half when they're all out trying to win. That would be quite the spectacle. But there is no good way, or incentive to make that happen. As such the game is just a muck about, which is fair considering the circumstances but it doesn't really capture that large of an audience.

Selig tried to fix that problem with the winner of the ASG getting home field advantage in the World Series but that really isn't very fair to the teams. It is however more fair for the fans who pay top dollar to see them all together. I'm personally not a fan since this gimmick effects championships, but it's an idea to improve the game at the very least. This way fans can see Kershaw and Cabrera actually duel it out instead of having Kershaw throw a meatball over the plate for fans to awe at Cabrera's power - when you can see that at BP any day.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #203
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damn, wrong thread
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #204
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
You pretty much proved people's points if these are the best things about the weekend.

The joking around and having fun is good but the problem is that players take it so lightly that it comes off like no one really cares. Players are hardly trying. It kind of defeats the purpose. I think the NHL misses a huge opportunity to actually show off how talented these guys really are. If all that comes out of it is some mediocre humor just have them all get drunk and film them talking around a table. You'll get more laughs that way and the actual all star event won't be as embarrassing.
Then don't watch. I liked and I'm sure many others did too.

I'd much rather see some jokes and personalities coming out instead of boring cliche interviews not to mention ton of boring regular season games.

It had skill too; hardest shots, breakaway relay, fastest skaters, puck handling. There was skill on display, how else do you want to be entertained.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #205
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Johnny Gadro strikes again.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #206
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh course they pronounce Gaudreau wrong...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #207
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, at least he said "God-reau" this time

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #208
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, was that canon supposed to go off?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #209
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sit tight for a 45 minute rendition of the star spangled banner everyone.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #210
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Then don't watch. I liked and I'm sure many others did too.

I'd much rather see some jokes and personalities coming out instead of boring cliche interviews not to mention ton of boring regular season games.

It had skill too; hardest shots, breakaway relay, fastest skaters, puck handling. There was skill on display, how else do you want to be entertained.
The fact that basically no one is walking away from this weekend saying wow that was a great event says it all. The most positive reviews come from people like yourself trying to find whatever they can in it, which isnt much. No one is walking away from it saying wow so and so has tremendous skill I never knew about or wow that was a great idea by the NHL. That should be the point. This is a showcase. This is an opportunity to give your fans an experience they don't regularly get and at the same time turn new fans onto the game. Like yourself I try to make the most out of what we get but at the same time let's set the bar a little higher. Why not maximize the event if we can? Otherwise just give the players a break. It seems like most of them would prefer that anyways.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #211
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that basically no one is walking away from this weekend saying wow that was a great event says it all. The most positive reviews come from people like yourself trying to find whatever they can in it, which isnt much. No one is walking away from it saying wow so and so has tremendous skill I never knew about or wow that was a great idea by the NHL. That should be the point. This is a showcase. This is an opportunity to give your fans an experience they don't regularly get and at the same time turn new fans onto the game. Like yourself I try to make the most out of what we get but at the same time let's set the bar a little higher. Why not maximize the event if we can? Otherwise just give the players a break. It seems like most of them would prefer that anyways.
Your asking for them to play hard.

The all star game is about getting to know the players and having fun, not a hockey game. It's the same as the pro bowl. All yourself, do you really want Gio and Johnny taking a hit from Getzlaf, Kopitar, Weber, etc? Do you want them to block shots from Weber? Cross checks from standing on front of the net? Most players pay banged up throughout the year. How many teams are going to want to send their best player to an event where they could get hurt when they could be banged up anyways.

This is what the all star game is. Lots and lots of people are saying wow. They interviewed people there taking it in yesterday and they all did (XM Radio). I'm not sure what you want. If you want players to play hard, you simply aren't going to get it.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #212
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Your asking for them to play hard.

The all star game is about getting to know the players and having fun, not a hockey game. It's the same as the pro bowl. All yourself, do you really want Gio and Johnny taking a hit from Getzlaf, Kopitar, Weber, etc? Do you want them to block shots from Weber? Cross checks from standing on front of the net? Most players pay banged up throughout the year. How many teams are going to want to send their best player to an event where they could get hurt when they could be banged up anyways.

This is what the all star game is. Lots and lots of people are saying wow. They interviewed people there taking it in yesterday and they all did (XM Radio). I'm not sure what you want. If you want players to play hard, you simply aren't going to get it.
I'm not speaking about the game itself. I'm speaking about the skills portion. That's why I'm posting in the skills competition thread. We know based on YouTube videos that some of these guys have tremendous talent. Find ways to really get that across to the public on the biggest stage they have. There is plenty of opportunity to get their personalities across with the draft or mic the game. Get creative with the skills comp and actually give it some structure. Would it not be cool to actually get a chance to see what a guy like Tarasenko can do? Or a guy like Johnny? The way they have it set up they aren't maximizing the talent of these guys at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #213
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not speaking about the game itself. I'm speaking about the skills portion. That's why I'm posting in the skills competition thread. We know based on YouTube videos that some of these guys have tremendous skills. Find ways to really get that across to the public on the biggest stage they have. There is plenty of opportunity to get their personalities across with the draft or mic the game. Get creative with the skills comp and actually give it some structure.
Sorry. Misunderstood. My point stands though for those who want to "improve" the ASG by making it matter.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #214
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The game itself is what it is. I think you can still improve it with things like go pro cameras and mic'ing the players but obviously injury is the concern with actual competition.

The skills portion though is in a rare place for professional sports in that it has a lot of flexibility. They can basically do whatever they want unlike a dunk comp or home run derby that is very limited. The accuracy comp for example I'd like to see revamped. Smaller targets maybe. Farther back. Some kind of combination of things. One timers. Moving target. Just ideas off the top of my head that would make it more exciting to watch and demonstrate a bit more of their skill. I know they can hit those big targets from close in. We've seen it a million times. I'd like to walk away from the event being like wow so and so really is head and shoulders above most at "this" in the league.

Last edited by Hackey; 01-25-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #215
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colin Miller (Kings prospect) has won both the fastest skater and hardest shot at the AHL skills competition.

Poirier came in second in the fastest skater.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #216
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colin Miller 5th round pick. Has like 29 points in 40 games. Booming shot and wheels, what's he lacking? This is the first I've heard of him. Stuck in a deep system or can't play D?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #217
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not speaking about the game itself. I'm speaking about the skills portion. That's why I'm posting in the skills competition thread. We know based on YouTube videos that some of these guys have tremendous talent. Find ways to really get that across to the public on the biggest stage they have. There is plenty of opportunity to get their personalities across with the draft or mic the game. Get creative with the skills comp and actually give it some structure. Would it not be cool to actually get a chance to see what a guy like Tarasenko can do? Or a guy like Johnny? The way they have it set up they aren't maximizing the talent of these guys at all.
Lot easier with no crowd and you're goofing around with buds to keep trying and pull those tricks off.

With million cameras and million eyes on you with limited chances those would be difficult to produce. These guys have skill but see what happened to Ovi as he was trying to hit a home run with the puck, failed every time. I bet he's done it in practise a few times only way he'd attempt it.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #218
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Something like that is dumb though. Just goofy. Show some crazy stick handling or passing or shooting. All skills these guys do daily and I'm sure they could do in the competition. If your gonna do the breakaway challenge make sure you get the right guys and give them proper notice to prepare. If they gave the winners of events money that went to a charity of their choice it would probably give them incentive. The possibilities are endless. With a bit of thought and preparation they could make it a really good event. It's not even hard. I bet we could do a think tank in here and come up with something waaaayyyy better than what we just saw this weekend. With the NHL money and resources there really is no excuse.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #219
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
The players definitely need a break at some point in the season, but I'm sure the elite would much rather not have to travel across the country to play in a meaningless event. Many of them are carrying injuries and end up missing the game because of them - and promptly get suspended for doing so. Hell, they even highlighted Ovechkin saying he "owes it to the fans to come" or Elliott skipping out on a fishing trip in the Turks and Caicos because he felt it was his duty to be here. I think it's pretty clear that the players find it more a responsibility of the job. I'm not saying they don't have fun - they were drunk for the draft and get to screw around on the ice, but given the choice how many would actually rather be elsewhere?

Giving them a week off to recharge their batteries, and recover from any knocks would be far more beneficial.
Don't they already get 5 days off during Christmas with strict rules against practicing and traveling? Isn't that good enough?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #220
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Meanwhile in Russia...

Maybe the reason the Slam Dunk Contest works and the breakaway challenge doesn't is that the Slam Dunk Contest has judging? Perhaps we won't see Tarasenko sliding it in from a distance on a blindfolded goalie if he knows Wayne Greztky is going to be holding up a 2/10 if he does.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: