Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #301
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still don't get why one roster has one less player.

Three players pulled out, so shouldn't three players replace them instead of two? Am I *****ng crazy here?
chockfullofgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chockfullofgoodness For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #302
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, Gio didn't look too comfortable with these sheenanigans
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #303
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockfullofgoodness View Post
I still don't get why one roster has one less player.

Three players pulled out, so shouldn't three players replace them instead of two? Am I *****ng crazy here?
One potential replacement is from a struggling southern American market. The other one plays in a steady Canadian market team that already has its one member in the game.

Pretty much explains it all. League trying to be strategic even in a game that is supposedly for the fans. But clearly fans even outside of Calgary would rather see one more than the other.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #304
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

It still doesn't explain why that last roster spot wasn't filled. One team has one less player. It makes no sense. I'm not even saying it 100 percent should have been Gaudreau, just that it makes no effing sense!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chockfullofgoodness For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #305
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
One potential replacement is from a struggling southern American market. The other one plays in a steady Canadian market team that already has its one member in the game.

Pretty much explains it all. League trying to be strategic even in a game that is supposedly for the fans. But clearly fans even outside of Calgary would rather see one more than the other.
One would think that advertising the most recent Hobey Baker Award winner and American hockey star would be a given, especially since the NHL is perpetually trying to 'grow the game in the US'...
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #306
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

That draft process was a debacle especially Foligno and his mindless banter.
Not to mention the order they selected many of the players.
It matched the stupidity of the NHL brass deciding to having 1 team short a player. That takes the cake for being moronic.
It appeared by the look on Johnny's face that he was bothered by being selected and then unselected for no logical reason.
At least Toews was on the ball and picked him first for the skills comp.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 01-24-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stay Golden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #307
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really hope the NHL, come tomorrow, has an explanation for the lopsided rosters.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #308
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it because Kathryn Tappen was on stage!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #309
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Late to the party and confused, JG was announced as playing but then the reporter retracted that statement. Have we determined if it was his fault or did the NHL actually say JG would play then change its mind?

JG also got ripped off on the break away vote? Is he even involved in this weekend at all anymore?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #310
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Darren Haynes had a good point on twitter that maybe the reason they didn't formally name Gaudreau to the team was so it wouldn't mess with their "four rookies, two per side" draft idea. And I believe Toews' team is the one short a player. So who knows, maybe they'll make some announcement tonight, or have Gaudreau and Hoffman Indian wrestle for that last spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #311
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Late to the party and confused, JG was announced as playing but then the reporter retracted that statement. Have we determined if it was his fault or did the NHL actually say JG would play then change its mind?

JG also got ripped off on the break away vote? Is he even involved in this weekend at all anymore?
As far as I can tell, Johnny was never officially told by the NHL he was going to play in the All Star Game.

Chris Johnston of Sportsnet was the first one to report Gaudreau would be playing in the All Star Game and everyone (TSN, the Score, and even nhl.com) picked up that report. Gaudreau did tell media he had heard those reports but didn't hear anything official.

Johnston claims the NHL was considering it but they were "split" on whether Gaudreau would be playing or not.

As for the breakaway vote it was for a guaranteed spot in the breakaway challenge. Toews may still decide to put Gaudreau in that event, or he may decide to put him in another event. In any case I am sure every player will be involved with at least one event.

There may very well be shanigans with the vote, because an hour before the voting closed the results had Johansen as a distant 3rd with Gaudreau #1 and Giroux #2 with like 2% difference between them.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #312
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Drunk players > Sober players

NHL could have picked better hosts though. Should have chosen a comedian with hockey knowledge.
Cabbie would have been great.
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #313
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know im super late to the party, but does Kevin Shattenkirk not look identical to Jay Mohr?
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote