Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
The Olympics will always be a much bigger event. It draws in non-hockey fans from many nations. The World Cup of Hockey? Maybe a blip on the radar.

Plus, the NHL has yet to prove it is committed to it. You can't have a tournament with any prestige if it only occurs once every decade or longer. Unless it's a regular tournament, held consistently, with commitment from the NHL and NHLPA for the long-term, it's nothing more than a one-off.

I'd love to see this held in Florida or Arizona in September in front of a packed house.
While the Olympics would be a much bigger event overall, that's the IIHF's problem. The NHL has made it clear that it realizes no benefit from the Olympics, and the shutdown and risk of injury might actually make it a net negative for their business.

I'd like to see the NHL remain in the Olympics, but it seems clear that that will not happen without movement by the IOC. And that won't happen. So the NHL is taking control of its own destiny.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #42
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Great move for the NHL. Screw the IIHF.
You mean IOC. The NHL and IIHF are partners in this.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #43
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I cant wait to see the Team EU and Team North America jerseys.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #44
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Maple Leaf Gardens is a grocery store.
With a hockey rink in the attic...

The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #45
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
For hockey fans it will very much be as big a deal. And the people who flood the streets tend to be hockey fans.
The only hockey fans who will care about this are hockey fans in Canada. It'll be very much like the WJCs. If that type of aftermath is your thing, then you and Al Gore can get down. Personally, I think there's something much more special about this:

rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #46
landshark
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Down here in California, there was quite a bit of buzz about the Olympic matches, but I promise... I could ask 300 people on the street and I would be shocked if even one of them knew that the World Cup of hockey games were on. Sure, in Canada it'll be HUGE - elsewhere, not huge and here... down right miniscule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The only hockey fans who will care about this are hockey fans in Canada. It'll be very much like the WJCs. If that type of aftermath is your thing, then you and Al Gore can get down. Personally, I think there's something much more special about this:

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #47
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will just be like the World Juniors in my mind. Very few outside Canada will care.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #48
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

People in hockey nations will care. Especially if it concerns the best players in the World. This isn't going to happen overnight.

If Collins is helping to organize it, I expect it to be a big hit.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #49
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

You know hockey has been in the Olympics for a long time, right? Did people flood the streets after wins in Innsbruck in '76 or Albertville in '92? Not so much. Why? Because they weren't the best players in the world playing.

Olympic hockey got a massive boost when it became a best-on-best tournament. The World Cup will be the new best-on-best tournament. And I don't buy it will be only a Canadian thing. You don't think Swedes don't want to see the best Swedish players in the world compete against the best players from other countries? Do you really think they'll care more about whoever gets sent to the Olympics?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #50
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The fact that they're putting together All star teams for this kind of ruins the legitimacy of this being just like the Olympics, doesn't it?

It does for me. It'll be a cool tournament to watch, but no way am I watching this with the anticipation and pride of Olympic hockey.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #51
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Canada and the US played for gold in 2010, 30 million people watched in the US. If they met in the World Cup final in 2016, it might do 5 million and that's probably a stretch. Olympics is a far bigger platform, in September it goes up against the NFL, college football and late season baseball. It has no chance of getting any recognition there.

It won't matter as much in other countries either, that's just the power of the Olympics, there is heightened nationalism to begin with, and hockey with the NHL is the marquee event of the games. The Olympics also takes place at a time when the players are midseason, prime form. In September, they won't even have been to training camp yet. This tournament is basically to make money off Canadians interest pretty much, it probably won't be awful but it won't even approach the Olympics.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #52
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it will be a fun tournament, but I am with Rube

2010 especially felt like a moment the country will never forget, and I think in 10 years people will still remember how the game went

same with SLC 2002

can anyone off the top of their head remember the 3rd period of the last World Cup???
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #53
googol
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tournaments like this one will take a lot of time and effort to build up the hype.
Right now the Olympics has more prestige, but over time and with the right marketing, it can be the world cup.

For example, which is more popular in soccer? Olympics or the world cup?
googol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #54
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by googol View Post
Tournaments like this one will take a lot of time and effort to build up the hype.
Right now the Olympics has more prestige, but over time and with the right marketing, it can be the world cup.

For example, which is more popular in soccer? Olympics or the world cup?
world cup but its an unfair example

not all the big countries send teams to the Olympics, and it has an age limit (23) with 3 overage players allowed
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #55
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

rick westhead @rwesthead
NHL sponsor exec: NHL to lay out World Cup of Hockey details on Fri. 8 teams. 1 is mashup of Euro All Stars; another N American "young guns"
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
rick westhead @rwesthead
NHL sponsor exec: NHL to lay out World Cup of Hockey details on Fri. 8 teams. 1 is mashup of Euro All Stars; another N American "young guns"
It already sounds crappy and gimmicky.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #57
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was about to say..

How can you have a prestigious world event when there is a team of "North american young guns"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Was about to say..

How can you have a prestigious world event when there is a team of "North american young guns"?
Yeah, no kidding. Its either a best on best or its nothing.

I presume the 'young guns' werent good enough to make their National teams? So its a team of scrubs? Same deal with the Euro All-Stars.

Just dont.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #59
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless they set a rule saying team USA and Canada is 25+ or something you will have a team from North America where there are 17 guys in their country better than them..
Old 01-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Unless they set a rule saying team USA and Canada is 25+ or something you will have a team from North America where there are 17 guys in their country better than them..
Again, thats getting gimmicky.