Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #41
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
If he really is coming in to replace Westgarth, what was the point in trading for Westgarth in the first place, was it just extra protection if Big Ern didn't play??
Yeah, looks like Westgarth replacement.
Burke likes having 2 fighters and West was insurance.
Don Cherry said that he hopes Flames don't start to think they are a team now and don't need 2 fighters because they do.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #42
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoforever View Post
Don Cherry said...
I think if a team were to do the opposite of whatever Don Cherry said they should do they'd probably be better off.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #43
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think if a team were to do the opposite of whatever Don Cherry said they should do they'd probably be better off.
Kind of like the Canucks?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #44
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Cherry said that the moment Flames went to 2 fighter system, nobody touches their kids.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #45
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this closes the door on Westgarth. We don't even know if this kid can play in the NHL yet.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #46
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

People are going to need to temper expectations with this guy. It's his first time to the rodeo and on NA ice. He may have attended a training camp or two, but game-time situation is much different.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the year in the A to get acclimated, and eventually brought up to punch a face or two...maybe score a goal or saucer a few passes.

Low risk signing.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #47
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westgarth is not coming back nor do we need him...I find it shocking how attached people are to this past season roster considering the worst season in franchise history and all

dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #48
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wolf's nickname in Germany was "Eis Monster"
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #49
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't think this closes the door on Westgarth. We don't even know if this kid can play in the NHL yet.
No matter what, I think Westgarth is going to test the market. He has strong in-law ties to Carolina, and even if they don't take him back, I imagine that he will be trying to move closer that way. Just a hunch. There were some rumblings at the time of the trade that it was a hard move for him.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #50
18flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Westgarth is not coming back nor do we need him...I find it shocking how attached people are to this past season roster considering the worst season in franchise history and all
Well there was 7 seasons in a row where they had less wins, so I wouldn't call it the worst season ever
18flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #51
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone needs to make up a picture/gif referring to "sending in the Wolf" from Pulp Fiction. He can be our guy who solves problems
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #52
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Getting Westgarth seemed to have something to do with the Canucks downfall and our better second half. He can be replaced but having a second fighter is good.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #53
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bobeez posted these highlights of Wolf scoring and not fighting on HF.

Quote:
Here's some of his skills other than fighting

Nice pass at 0:40 and a beautiful goal at 2:18 (#89). Style-wise you can compare him to Lucic, just not as good as him

Edit: a bit more

Hattrick at 0:55 - 2:15 - 2:45

Goal at 3:08 - Nice move at 3:30 - Goal (deflection) at 4:10 Also had an assist for the 2:0
Doesn't appear to be geo locked as I was able to watch it without using a proxy.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #54
doncherry
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Hey now.........
doncherry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doncherry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #55
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who's the lucky centre that gets to play between Wolf and McGrattan? LOL
Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #56
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Who's the lucky centre that gets to play between Wolf and McGrattan? LOL
Bouma?

BEEF
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #57
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Just had a conversation with new #Flames prospect David Wolf. He told me there were two or three other teams interested in signing him.

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Wolf ultimately chose the #Flames: "My heart was beating right away for Calgary. That’s why I decided to come.”

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Wolf ultimately chose the #Flames: "My heart was beating right away for Calgary. That’s why I decided to come.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #58
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why posters think this is the end of Westgarth? One Wolf still has to show he belongs in the nhl. 2) somebody has to be in the press box. I have no problem with Westgarth at a league minimum sitting in the press box. I do not want to see young prospects sitting in press box .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #59
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

glad that it's official - finally! For those who haven't read the other thread in detail, here's a scouting report by world class European scout devo22:

Quote:
he isn't the best skater, but he has improved in that area. I won't comment on the "dumb meathead" because it's just wrong on every level.

Also, from what I've read about him, it feels like Wolf is a prototypical Hartley player. The first things that are always mentioned to describe him seem to be hard working, good attitude, gritty, wears his heart on his sleeve. Hartley loves players like that. He's big and gritty enough to play a bottom six role, plus he has some offense to work with. I just don't see the risk. As many others have mentioned, worst case is he doesn't pan out and goes back to Europe. All the Flames have to give up is a roster spot, and I don't see an issue with that. I'd rather give a contract to someone like Wolf than the Bryan Camerons, David Eddys and James Martins that were signed out of junior in the past.

It's really hard to say how those guys handle the transition to NA hockey. He has made big strides over the last couple of years, he really benefited from playing on a line with Flaake and Festerling in Hamburg. I think he could be a solid 3rd liner, but that's his ceiling in my opinion. Wolf-Stajan-Bouma sounds like a great 3rd line if you ask me ... you'd get grit, energy, two-play and some scoring with a line like that.

As to the question whether he's dirty. From the games I've seen, no I wouldn't call him dirty in general. Thing is he's an extremely physical player who likes to go the dirty areas and who isn't shy of scrums, pushing and shoving etc. He can be like a bull in a china shop out there. I believe the NA game will suit his playing style a bit more than the DEL.

Also worth noting is that he's a guy that has been known for having a short fuse in the past and I think other teams liked to provoke him. He's improved in that area though. In one of the PO games against Ingolstadt, however, he was given a misconduct after banging his stick on the glass in frustration ... because an opposing fan spit on him.
and a really nice piece from a German newspaper about his background:

Quote:
In Iserlohn, David Wolf did not find any new friends. For the fans of the Iserlohn Roosters, the left wing of the Hamburg Freezers was the enemy number one; nobody was booed and insulted as passionately as the 24-year-old. But Wolf is used to the feeling. These days he shows his typical smile when he thinks of the six games against Iserlohn - and the fact that he would not be provoked with only one exception. "If you look at the statistics, I did not do a lot wrong", says the former penalty king.

This is an understatement: Wolf, a tough fighter and fearless hustler in front of goal, was the outstanding player of the quarter-final series of the DEL; in the six games he scored four goals and five assists. As a result, the Freezers have reached the DEL semifinals for the second time in the club's history. For many, Hamburg is the number one contender for this year's title.

As a part of the famous first line with Jerome Flaake and Garrett Festerling, Wolf was already stellar in past seasons. But something was missing. "I was not a leader", says Wolf. That has changed this season. "David has matured and grown", said coach Benoit Laporte on his favorite roughneck. At one time, Wolf described his play as following: "Sometimes I have to specifically target a guy - skate to him, knock him down, done."

No wonder that the Islerlohn fans do not like him in particular. His colleague Flaake says: "David is one of those guys that you rather have on your own team." Meanwhile, Laporte has taught his "Bad Boy" how to play smartly. His number of penalty minutes has reached an acceptable level. In training, his teammates have accepted his big mouth and small provocations.

Wolf can convincingly explain where the aggression comes from. Child of divorce, troubled adolescence, a sick mother: little David often resorted to his fists to deal with his problems. "Brawls on the street were normal", he says. But Wolf, 6'3 and 218, is also a thinker. "I used to think about every missed opportunity after a game," he says. Working with a mental coach since 2012 has given him much more balance. "I have a thicker skin now", says Wolf. "Things do not drive me up the wall as quickly any more."

In addition, Wolf stands for the new Freezers identity. Three years ago, they shifted their focus to young German players - now Wolf, Flaake, Festerling, Oppenheimer, and the slightly older Schubert form the cornerstone of a team with title aspirations. You could often see the players bonding after training at their favourite restaurant "Venezia".

"Hockey is my life", says a tattoo on Wolf's left upper arm, and the language of this sentence could soon dictate his life. It is believed that there is an offer from the Calgary Flames of the NHL for the upcoming season. Wolf does not want to reveal too much, as he is still under contract with the Freezers until 2018. "Several NHL clubs have scouted me over the past two years," he says, "but there is nothing more to say." With his physicality and his courage, Wolf would probably be a great NHL player.

Last edited by devo22; 05-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #60
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What you know about rockin' a wolf on your noggin?
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post: