Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #121
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
Ok but then don't call it world cup but rather marketing cup or tv ratings cup.
Oh yah, what a purist

Like that isn't the case for every single sporting event now a days, it's all about marketing and dollar creation. Even the Olympics is all about that now. Looks like you are going to be stuck watching Tim Bits hockey hockey at your loca rink if you want some purity..........oh wait, did I say Timbits? Looks like even minor hockey has gone commercial.......guess you are out of luck.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #122
Knut

Exp:

^ I will be cheering for the under 23's as well as Canada in the event. As a one-off it is kind of a neat idea.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #123
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Under 23 concept comes from the idea that Canada could ice 2 competitive teams. It's okay by me.

The Euro team will help draw a TV audience from the Swiss, Slovaks, Danes, Germans etc. I have no problem with this as it attempts to grow the game.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #124
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they not announce the cut-off date with the official announcement? Not much point in speculating until we know who's eligible.

edit: oops, wrong thread
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #125
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Haha, what a lame tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of NHL stars saw this format and just laughed it off and said "Yeah, I'm not risking injury before training camp for that ****ty gimmick".
FWIW, they probably can't. While we all pillory the NHL on this one, per the CBA, these international events are jointly considered by both the league and the union. The CBA calls for such jointly held events as being played under the terms, rights and restrictions of the CBA and the standard players' contract. That would almost certainly include suspensions and fines for failure to report.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #126
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh, and if the NHL feels that 2016 is too soon to do a proper tournament, push it back to 2017.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #127
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
It's been decided -- every North American 23-and-under will have to play for Young Guns at 2016 World Cup. Not eligible for Team Canada/USA.
This is so stupid. The U23 should be allowed to play for their countries if they were chosen to be on the team based on merit. If they weren't selected they can be eligible for the young guns. The proposed set up is an injustice for the young stars of the game.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #128
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious what they players buy-in to this will be. For IIHF World Championships we saw marquee players regularly turn it down (at least North American players). And they're doing the World Cup now right during try-outs and camp time? I'm surprised the NHL would be ok with that.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #129
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know how tickets to an event like this would work? Is there a draw or a waiting list of some kind?
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #130
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This is so stupid. The U23 should be allowed to play for their countries if they were chosen to be on the team based on merit. If they weren't selected they can be eligible for the young guns. The proposed set up is an injustice for the young stars of the game.
The idea of having an under 23 team is to increase the competition. As soon as you allow the younger players to play for their country then the best young players won't be on the under 23 team which then it makes no sense to even have the young team.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #131
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the U23 team and Euro teams are only for the first tournament, then I'm okay with it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #132
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
If the U23 team and Euro teams are only for the first tournament, then I'm okay with it.
That's what it sounds like. There wasn't enough time to schedule a play-in tournament, which will be done for 2020.

Knowing that, I'm okay with this for now.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #133
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I'll be cheering for the under-23 team.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #134
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting article about Rogers who has won the broadcast rights to the World Cup

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle22695210/

Claims Bell is upset with the NHL. TSN bid $28 to $32 million for the broadcast rights for the World Cup, but the NHL gave Rogers the option to match the offer. Bell thought it would was going to be a blind auction with the rights going to the highest bidder.

Article also claims TSN expected to lose $8 to $10 million with its bid.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #135
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, NHL is really pissed at Bell and showing who's boss.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #136
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-expected-to-fe...s-say-1.194841

Quote:
NHL sponsors say they expect the league to use next year's World Cup of Hockey to trial on-uniform advertising.
Every North American sports league has weighed the added revenue putting ads on uniforms would generate against fan backlash.
Major League Baseball may have been the first major North American sports league to consider the money-generating move. In 1999, MLB considered putting logos on the sleeves of player uniforms, but commissioner Bud Selig said no.

As recently as 2012, the NBA made up mock Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls jerseys with sponsor logos in place of the 'Celtics' and 'Bulls' names on the front. The NBA ultimately decided against the move.
The NHL has contemplated ads on uniforms for years.
In 2008, a group of influential NHL players that included New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, Dallas's Marty Turco, Detroit's Dominik Hasek and Edmonton's Dwayne Roloson urged the NHL to alter league uniforms, perhaps starting first with goalie jerseys.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would a committee about on-jersey advertising be comprised exclusively of goalies? And Dwayne Roloson's opinion shouldnt count, he thought Edmonton was 'swell' and no one should ask Hasek anything, that guy's brain is like a bag of cats, he tried stabbing someone with a rollerskate.

They need to burn that committee to the ground and salt the earth where they met.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #138
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if they start putting ads on jerseys, I very simply will stop buying jerseys.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #139
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

hockey back on ESPN
@rwesthead: As TSN reported last night, ESPN has won the US broadcast rights to the World Cup of Hockey, beating out NBC Sports and Fox. 1/2

@rwesthead: Some NBC execs upset. They believe NHL delayed telling them World Cup news until after Super Bowl, so NHL could use NBC hospitality venues

And lol on the NHL on using NBCs Superbowl hospitality stuff.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #140
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
if they start putting ads on jerseys, I very simply will stop buying jerseys.
I would guess they still sell them without ads on them, but if they did I would agree with you on that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote