Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
No it wouldn't. It would just need to be more accurate than the current system.

The non-sphere problem is also not that hard to solve - triangulate 3 sensors in the puck that, and you know its orientation.
You say that like it's the easiest thing in the world.

For any automated system to ever get approved, it would need to be extremely accurate. No one is going to accept a system that tells you the puck was within 6 inches of the goal line, or even 2 inches, or 1 inch. The current system can already tell us whether or not the puck may have crossed the line. If the league is going to invest the money in an automated system, they're going to want to know definitively that the puck completely crossed the line and they're going to want a system that is 100% accurate, 100% of the time.

Last season, there was a proposal to paint a "confirmation line" three inches behind the goal line so that if the puck was touching this line, it was confirmed to be completely across the goal line. The proposal was rejected by the league because the thickness of the ice was enough to distort the ability to accurately judge if the puck was touching the confirmation line or not depending on the viewing angle. If something as simple as that was rejected, you know the league is going to be extra-skeptical of an automated system.

Of course, the solution to the non-sphere problem is to use a minimum of three sensors and triangulate them. I would consider that considerably more difficult than just tracking one sensor. Once you've figured out how to accurately track one sensor, tracking two more probably won't be that hard, but doing the triangulation to position the puck in 3D space isn't trivial.

If it was as easy as "just put a sensor in the puck", I'm sure someone would have already just put a sensor in the puck.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #22
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If the league is going to invest the money in an automated system, they're going to want to know definitively that the puck completely crossed the line and they're going to want a system that is 100% accurate, 100% of the time.
100% accuracy (exactly) does not exist. Measurement doesn't work like that - there's error. If we're off by a nanometer, that's still error.

Personally, I'd consider +/- 0.01 inches of error that is just as likely to favour one team or the other to be worth implemeting over the undoubtedly larger and possibly biased error we currently tolerate.

So the question I pose to you is: what is the maximum error such a system would need to achieve? We may disagree on the answer, but if your answer is zero then your position is irrational.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not my answer that's important. The question is, how much error is the league willing to accept?

I think there are some owners who won't accept anything less than 100% accuracy, 100% of the time, whether it's reasonable or not. NHL owners aren't known for being the most reasonable people around.

Time and again, we've seen the league prefer to maintain a system where human error is possible rather than move to one where computer error might occur.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #24
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's not my answer that's important. The question is, how much error is the league willing to accept?

I think there are some owners who won't accept anything less than 100% accuracy, 100% of the time, whether it's reasonable or not. NHL owners aren't known for being the most reasonable people around.

Time and again, we've seen the league prefer to maintain a system where human error is possible rather than move to one where computer error might occur.
But if the league as a whole will only accept 100% accuracy, they wouldn't be testing the system at all. The system may, however, be accurate enough that they can't detect its inaccuracy.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #25
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No it wouldn't. It would just need to be more accurate than the current system.

The non-sphere problem is also not that hard to solve - triangulate 3 sensors in the puck that, and you know its orientation.
Since a puck has axial symmetry, you'd actually only need two evenly spaced out along the puck's axis of rotation.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, how many times per year is there even a question as to whether the puck crossed, and of those, how many are not relatively easily answered by video? I think the cost of developing, installing and using that system would be prohibitive and certainly not a good cost-benefit use of money.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #27
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Again, how many times per year is there even a question as to whether the puck crossed, and of those, how many are not relatively easily answered by video? I think the cost of developing, installing and using that system would be prohibitive and certainly not a good cost-benefit use of money.
Why are people talking about the puck crossing the line? That's not at all the reason for the technology
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Why are people talking about the puck crossing the line? That's not at all the reason for the technology
See second post: thread hijack. I'm guilty of playing along.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But if the league as a whole will only accept 100% accuracy, they wouldn't be testing the system at all. The system may, however, be accurate enough that they can't detect its inaccuracy.
The system they're testing has absolutely nothing to do with determining whether or not the puck crossed the line. This system is going to track big movements and give general information about where the puck and the players are during the game.

This system doesn't need to have anywhere close to the accuracy that an automatic goal judging system would require.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
June 5, 2004
Old 01-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #32
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm assuming cost might have something to do with them not moving toward pucks with sensors. The amount of pucks the NHL loses over the course of a season is probably easily 5000-10000. Not sure what the difference in price would be. I suppose that might be chump change in the big scheme of things but a consideration non the less.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #33
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'm assuming cost might have something to do with them not moving toward pucks with sensors. The amount of pucks the NHL loses over the course of a season is probably easily 5000-10000. Not sure what the difference in price would be. I suppose that might be chump change in the big scheme of things but a consideration non the less.
Back in the FoxTraxx days, Fox had people in the arena paid to get their pucks back when they went out of play. They'd swap them with a regular game puck.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #34
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. You add an addendum to every ticket sold stating the NHL is within its rights to reacquire all pucks travelling over the glass and instruct ushers to do a swap with the fan for a regular puck
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote