Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #121
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
What? Monahan is our best Face off person, and it isnt even close. He is actually 8th in the league when our team is dead last in Faceoff %

8 Sean Monahan, C CGY 47 15 15 30 7 4 1044 517 527 49.5

Next is Jooris @ 96th, than Stajan @ 109th overall.

SOURCE http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...offsWon/count/ (since thats all you bickering kids want) is ESPN's stat page, which im sure you all will twist to suit your own bias.
Sorry, but you are very wrong in your analysis. Monahan has taken and won more, but he has also lost the most. 2nd most in the league actually. By your analysis that would make him the 2nd worst.

Look at percentages, which is what should be looked at and is how most people rank faceoff prowess, and there Stajan is highest, of people who have taken a reasonable number of draws on the Flames.

This has nothing to do with ESPN being from where you got your numbers either. You also switched your analysis from Monahan's absolute number of wins to the team's percentage.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #122
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since his return, Stajan has had only one sub-50% face off game and quite a few in the high 60s and low 70s.

I honestly don't see the running around in the zone. That's what I saw from Bollig and, to some extent, Bouma, before Stajan returns. Stajan is much smarter with the puck, helps the D more (especially the bottom pairing). Plus, per the face off percentage, they start with the puck in the D zone a lot more, which helps.

Granlund is pretty hopeless in the circle, Jooris is OK, but not like Stajan. Colborne is Ok, but he's a better top 6 winger than bottom 6 centre IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #123
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Sorry, but you are very wrong in your analysis. Monahan has taken and won more, but he has also lost the most. 2nd most in the league actually. By your analysis that would make him the 2nd worst.

Look at percentages, which is what should be looked at and is how most people rank faceoff prowess, and there Stajan is highest, of people who have taken a reasonable number of draws on the Flames.

This has nothing to do with ESPN being from where you got your numbers either. You also switched your analysis from Monahan's absolute number of wins to the team's percentage.
Ahh, it wasnt sorted by FO % as I thought it was, so you are very right. That's why I dont get paid to look at spreadsheets all day.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #124
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Looking at spreadsheets all day and not getting paid must suck!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #125
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I don't remember Monahan or Bennett saying anything about Matt Stajan. I could have missed it though, got a link?

He said Stajan has made the 4th line better. Byron has been on the 4th line with Stajan and Bollig.

People keep saying Stajan is so great defensively, I don't see it at all. He constantly makes bad passes, bad reads, panics with the puck, runs around in our zone. He was horrible last night. Every shift.

I have watched almost EVERY single game that Stajan has played in his 6 years here. He has been beyond underwhelming. He can be easily replaced, especially when he is playing 10 mins a night. He will be pushed out of the lineup soon.
To the bolded part. If you're referring to the Anaheim game by saying that then you might have a point, but constantly throughout this year? Yeah, I don't think so.

I think what's going on here is that you've been so haunted, maybe even traumatized, by his general horrible play before the 2012-13 season that sometimes when you see him have a bad game these days like he may've had on Wednesday against Anaheim, it brings back those haunting memories for you of his play from his first 3 years here. And not only do those memories come back for you, but so does the anger, rage & vitriol over him and his disappointing initial 3 years here, and it manifests itself into posts like this.

Because of this, you may be stuck in the past and are remembering too much of his disappointing play from all 3 years before the lockout season rather than his generally significantly better play from the lockout season till now.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote