Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2022, 10:03 PM   #61
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

So happy these dudes are back.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:11 PM   #62
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am enjoying the show as well. I don’t know if it’s a rights issue, but hopefully they can get some more audio drops/ music to liven things up a bit. The Pinder report isn’t the same without the sound effects.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #63
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a rights issue. I've heard Steinberg on Flames Talk explain that some of the audio clips are for broadcast only, because they couldn't buy the rights to include them in the podcast.

Sound recordings are generally available to any radio station that wants them and is able to pay the appropriate fee. I don't think there is any equivalent system for podcasts, so rights have to be negotiated with individual copyright holders. That would get messy fast, and of course the rights holder can simply say no.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:32 PM   #64
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

given that you tubers can use 5-10 second clips of Disney shows in their reviews I see no reason why the guys couldnt use even shorter sound bytes for their show . I don't think it counts as replicating a broadcast
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:01 PM   #65
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
given that you tubers can use 5-10 second clips of Disney shows in their reviews I see no reason why the guys couldnt use even shorter sound bytes for their show . I don't think it counts as replicating a broadcast
That's because Disney chooses to allow that use. (And that, I suspect, is because YouTube is owned by Google, and not even The Mouse can afford to piss off the world's biggest search engine.)

Every rights holder has its own policy about podcasts, and I believe you have to negotiate with each one individually. With radio, the rights fees are standardized and SOCAN doesn't say no. Every station's money is good enough for them.

You learn about some funny things in my trade. Publishers warn authors never, never, never to quote copyrighted song lyrics in a book, because the same situation arises. You have to negotiate directly with the copyright holder, and they have a habit of demanding more money than the entire book will ever earn. I don't suppose they are much friendlier to podcasters than they are to writers.

Last edited by Jay Random; 10-17-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 11:07 PM   #66
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's because Disney chooses to allow that use. (And that, I suspect, is because YouTube is owned by Google, and not even The Mouse can afford to piss off the world's biggest search engine.)

Every rights holder has its own policy about podcasts, and I believe you have to negotiate with each one individually. With radio, the rights fees are standardized and SOCAN doesn't say no. Every station's money is good enough for them.

You learn about some funny things in my trade. Publishers warn authors never, never, never to quote copyrighted song lyrics in a book, because the same situation arises. You have to negotiate directly with the copyright holder, and they have a habit of demanding more money than the entire book will ever earn. I don't suppose they are much friendlier to podcasters than they are to writers.
well that sounds exhausting ...

also thanks for the insight
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 07:00 AM   #67
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I get that it’s part of the schtick, but Rhett being disinterested and preoccupied EVERY show is getting old
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #68
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not entirely accurate. Fair use doctrine does allow for the use of limited portions of a song, book, or performance "for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports." Making this even more murky is "there are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work." So yes, you can use short snippets of a song, lift a lyric from a song, or use a snippet from another broadcast for commentary or criticism. You may NOT use another's content in its entirety without written permission.

Cool fact not many people know. The soundtrack for a movie is one of the most expensive parts of the production. Licensing each song is very expensive and can pile up once production has completed. For example, the production company of Varsity Blues paid $500,000 to license AC/DC's Thunderstruck. This was a record at the time, but I'm sure there are more costly ventures out there now. The bigger the hit and the more recent the song, the more expensive it is to license the material. You can imagine the cost of a jukebox production like Rock of Ages where they use a catalogue of hits for the stage/movie.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 08:10 AM   #69
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So glad to have these guys back in my life! If you don't like the Pinder report without canned noise or you don't like Rhett being himself just turn it off! Try listening to the fan for a few minutes....
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bucksmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Not entirely accurate. Fair use doctrine does allow for the use of limited portions of a song, book, or performance "for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports." Making this even more murky is "there are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work." So yes, you can use short snippets of a song, lift a lyric from a song, or use a snippet from another broadcast for commentary or criticism. You may NOT use another's content in its entirety without written permission.

Cool fact not many people know. The soundtrack for a movie is one of the most expensive parts of the production. Licensing each song is very expensive and can pile up once production has completed. For example, the production company of Varsity Blues paid $500,000 to license AC/DC's Thunderstruck. This was a record at the time, but I'm sure there are more costly ventures out there now. The bigger the hit and the more recent the song, the more expensive it is to license the material. You can imagine the cost of a jukebox production like Rock of Ages where they use a catalogue of hits for the stage/movie.
Stephen King used to start chapters of some of his books with song lyrics - just a line or two. Now maybe they just gave him permission but I bet he didn’t pay. And this was when he was relatively new.

We used to do a Christmas musical video. The fee was about $5K to use a copyrighted song and even then we had to take down the video within a couple months IIRC.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #71
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not entirely accurate. Fair use doctrine does allow for the use of limited portions of a song, book, or performance "for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports." Making this even more murky is "there are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work." So yes, you can use short snippets of a song, lift a lyric from a song, or use a snippet from another broadcast for commentary or criticism. You may NOT use another's content in its entirety without written permission
However, using music on the soundtrack of a podcast that is not about music does NOT count as ‘commentary, criticism news reporting, [or] scholarly reports’. So fair use doctrine does not apply in such instances, and you have to license the recording from the rights holder. In cases such as this, it's a rights holder who does not want to sell you that licence unless you pay through the nose.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #72
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Stephen King used to start chapters of some of his books with song lyrics - just a line or two. Now maybe they just gave him permission but I bet he didn’t pay. And this was when he was relatively new.
Stephen King's first book was a massive bestseller: the paperback sold a million copies in the first 12 months after release. After that, he could pretty much do whatever he wanted and his publisher would sort out the legalities.

Quote:
We used to do a Christmas musical video. The fee was about $5K to use a copyrighted song and even then we had to take down the video within a couple months IIRC.
Yup. Now, consider that the average author makes less than $5K in royalties on the average book, and the same with the average podcast. It would be financial suicide to license music or lyrics on those terms.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me it is kind of weird being able to hear them and see them
Old 10-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #74
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really enjoying the podcast / youtube live stream.

It's interesting, I'm more inclined to visit a sponsor of the podcast now then before.
Although hopefully they can find a balance that is not too commercialized.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rayne008 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #75
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However, using music on the soundtrack of a podcast that is not about music does NOT count as ‘commentary, criticism news reporting, [or] scholarly reports’. So fair use doctrine does not apply in such instances, and you have to license the recording from the rights holder. In cases such as this, it's a rights holder who does not want to sell you that licence unless you pay through the nose.
Wasn't aware that was up for discussion. Seems like movement of the goal posts. Repetitive use of a snippet, like in a show theme, does indeed require licensing, but single use is pretty much accepted as fair use, with the exception of some of the really hard assed publishers. Most see it as an opportunity to draw attention to their product and generate sales/plays.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #76
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I get that it’s part of the schtick, but Rhett being disinterested and preoccupied EVERY show is getting old

It’s not a schtick
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:20 PM   #77
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
pretty obviously not a fan of the team or has much investment in the flames affairs either .. he's just shooting the **** with his friends
Old 10-18-2022, 10:44 PM   #78
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn't aware that was up for discussion.
If you can hear it on the podcast, it's part of the soundtrack. Of course that was up for discussion.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #79
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little research tells me King pays for lyrics he uses as epigraphs and if he doesn’t like the fee, he changes the song.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 11:34 PM   #80
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The movie Yesterday paid 10 million to use 20 Beatles songs. More than any one actor got paid in that movie.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post: