Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #81
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I've not noticed it too much in general, but did notice that in the first SJ game of the year we were visibly outmuscled (not roughed up). Dressing McGrattan won't address that problem.
I think this is why we have seen Hartley dress Jackman over players like Bartschi. Add some toughness and grit, subtract weak and pushed off of puck. (I'm oversimplifying here a lot). I am not saying this is right or that I agreed with it. This comment just made me think about it completely differently.

I think Smid will help with this aspect of our game. We could really use another big strong gritty forward that can play in the top six. But this is part and parcel of the rebuild that is happening. I thought David Jones would add more but he has not really played to my expectations in terms of being hard to play against and in terms of timely offense.

We need our young players to fill out and get tougher. Maybe this was part of the Bartschi message. Play tougher and put some weight on in the off-season..
The Following User Says Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #82
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Jones hasn't played the same since returning from his injury. He definitely was a bigger presence, stronger on the puck and fighting for those garbage goals more before. It's too bad cause his style, like Galiardi's made this team tougher to play against.

He needs to get back to that crashing and banging.
He suffered that injury from a clean shoulder by a 5'8" 38 year old Bouillon. Can't blame him for being hesitant now, but you have to wonder about his ability to be a useful top 9 forward now.

Cheerio I can't see whatever you posted, my work filter has probably blocked it.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #83
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I think we can dispense with that notion now. It was part of the rationale for keeping MacDonald, and that didn't turn out. Plus, MacGrattan isn't the only vet on this team.
I never heard of it as a rationale for keeping MacDonald, to be honest.

McGrattan is definitely not the only vet on this team - but which vet is going to step up when other teams are pushing Sven, Monahan, and the rest? Glencross is about it. O'Brien? Smid? Whom else?

I think at this point, it comes down to Jackman or McGrattan. If the team was built like LA or some other big teams out there, I would side with the "McGrattan isn't really needed outside of a few games against certain teams, if even that." Being one of the smallest and youngest teams out there, his presence is probably more required.

How much better did Baertschi feel last year when McGrattan said something like "Just go out there and don't worry about a thing. If anyone touches you, I will kill them." or whatever it was. Makes players have that extra bit of confidence, or perhaps removes a bit of worry at times?
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #84
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
I think this is why we have seen Hartley dress Jackman over players like Bartschi. Add some toughness and grit, subtract weak and pushed off of puck. (I'm oversimplifying here a lot). I am not saying this is right or that I agreed with it. This comment just made me think about it completely differently.

I think Smid will help with this aspect of our game. We could really use another big strong gritty forward that can play in the top six. But this is part and parcel of the rebuild that is happening. I thought David Jones would add more but he has not really played to my expectations in terms of being hard to play against and in terms of timely offense.

We need our young players to fill out and get tougher. Maybe this was part of the Bartschi message. Play tougher and put some weight on in the off-season..
This is what I was afraid would happen with Jones (and why I initially couldn't stand that trade). Colorado fans were laughing because they got rid of Jones and O'Brien. In Jones' situation, he earned every penny of that contract by playing a very hard to play against style coupled with some offence. However, injuries started happening, and he became a more perimeter player.

I loved Jones at the beginning of the season - he played that hard to play against style, and was helping put points on the board. He gets hurt, and suddenly he is that perimeter player again. I compared him to Bourque a week or two ago because of that. Hopefully he starts being that bulldog again, and stays healthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #85
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
This is what I was afraid would happen with Jones (and why I initially couldn't stand that trade). Colorado fans were laughing because they got rid of Jones and O'Brien. In Jones' situation, he earned every penny of that contract by playing a very hard to play against style coupled with some offence. However, injuries started happening, and he became a more perimeter player.

I loved Jones at the beginning of the season - he played that hard to play against style, and was helping put points on the board. He gets hurt, and suddenly he is that perimeter player again. I compared him to Bourque a week or two ago because of that. Hopefully he starts being that bulldog again, and stays healthy.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I loved Jones to start the year but since coming off injury he hasn't been the power forward we were gettting used to. Hopefully he's just transitioning himself back into the game and will be upping his intensity as he gets back into his comfort zone.

I'm not too worried regardless, we can always do what Colorado did and put him on the 4th line. That can at least open a spot for one of our young guys in the top 9. I'd like to see Hanowski given a shot as he can become that kind of player and is also one of few natural RWingers.

As for the game, I have a good feeling about tonight and very happy it's not their backups first start or I'd have the opposite feeling.

5-3 Flames - Goals by Backlund, Hudler, Stempniak, Monahan and Wideman.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #86
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
He suffered that injury from a clean shoulder by a 5'8" 38 year old Bouillon. Can't blame him for being hesitant now, but you have to wonder about his ability to be a useful top 9 forward now.

Cheerio I can't see whatever you posted, my work filter has probably blocked it.
Still nursing and hiding an injury maybe? That would explain the change in play a lot. I forgot he had been injured. Shoulders can take a long time to heal and crashing and banging doesn't expedite the process.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #87
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love the lineup.

5-4 OTW

Flames lead 4-3 late in the 3rd, Thornton ties it up with his 4th of the game and glazes everyone in section 104.
The Following User Says Thank You to chalms04 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #88
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
Thornton ties it up with his 4th of the game and glazes everyone in section 104.
Yikes
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #89
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't let me down CP!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #90
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

really like the projected lines this time. Glad to see Stemp back already!

the only issue I have with the lines ... put Colborne (finally!) and Smid in Flames silk and make new photos. I mean come on, Leafs and Oilers jerseys? UNACCEPTABLE!

The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #91
landshark
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This could be a pivotal game for the sharks. You saw them earlier this year when they were nearly perfect in every aspect of the game. Several injuries slowed them down, then Burns went down and it turns out that he is the linchpin of the lineup.

When he is paired with Thornton, they are a handful for ANYONE to cover. That leaves Hertl open WAY too much. With Burns out, several players - mostly from the second or third lines have come in to fill the spot weakening the line that they leave behind.

To complicate matters, Havlat returns from a LONG injury layoff. Havlat doesn't have an obvious spot in the lineup. He's still off of game shape and they are still trying to find a way to fit him into the lineup. So far, he hasn't been on the same page as his linemates - he's been tried on each of the top three lines. He's showing improvement, but has a ways to go still.

So the sharks are not the smooth machine that they were in the beginning of the year. They need a good solid confidence building win. That should have been against Buffalo... should have been against Winnipeg... now they've had a couple of days off to regroup.

That win should come tonight.

If it does not <shudder> CGY could really hurt SJ here. CGY certainly has what it takes to get a couple of quick ones and put SJ on their heels. If CGY comes at them in waves and never lets them setup, it could be a nightmare for SJ.

This one will be a blow out, but I'm not sure who comes out on top.
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #92
4oh3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

4-3 Sharks
Old 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #93
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the projected lineup. Jackman's sitting, so that's a plus in itself.

I'm expecting Smid to look outstanding this game simply because of the adrenaline of playing on a new team. I know he'll eventually come back down to earth, but it won't be this game.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #94
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

We now have a #3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 on the point...

Old time hockey - I love it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #95
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So do you guys think McGrattan in the lineup makes everyone play a little bigger? Is that still an issue in 2013? I like the guy, and I hear he's great in the room, so is that the angle?

Otherwise all I see is a fourth line that stalls the progression of the other three lines which is frustrating to watch.
Giordano did say that this was true during his interview on the Fan a few weeks ago. He also claimed that he notices a big difference in the way teams treat them on the ice. That beings said, what else is Gio gonna say as captain? But I do think that the players believe this, at least to a degree.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #96
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is a great lineup. I am so excited to see it on ice. I am ok with McGrattan, he doesn't bother me that much. I don't think Reinhart makes that much of a contribution in that spot.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #97
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Not sure if serious....

EDIT: Now that I know serious, most hilarious post of the week. But that sad kind of hilarious where you feel like a terrible person for laughing but you laugh anyway.
The only joke I see around here is you, with your numerous trolling accounts. I can't believe I even wasted my time trying to be rational with a clown like yourself!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #98
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Giordano did say that this was true during his interview on the Fan a few weeks ago. He also claimed that he notices a big difference in the way teams treat them on the ice. That beings said, what else is Gio gonna say as captain? But I do think that the players believe this, at least to a degree.
Iginla has even said you feel bigger on the ice with an enforcer I believe.

Jobhopper, I'm not even gonna quote you but it sounds like you two could also use an enforcer.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #99
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mind having a tough guy in the line up, but It has to be one or the other, not both. Like the lineup from this perspective tonight.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #100
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

3-1 Flames

bunch of guys only Flames fans have heard of score. Sharks get Berra-ed. He gets 50 saves.
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , sushi , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin