Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #201
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Baertschi-Monahan-Connolly

Edit: Also really like that fact that he shoots with his right.

Last edited by Miniac; 11-23-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #202
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
If top 10 is scoring is the only criteria then yes you are right but I think there are more than 10 guys a year that can be considered productive WHL players.
Dude, you're the one who set the criteria....and I expanded it to the entire CHL for you.

"I think you will find 100's or even 1000's of guys that were around the top of their league in scoring that did not amount to anything."

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 11-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #203
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
Baertschi-Monahan-Connolly

Edit: Also really like that fact that he shoots with his right.
I'm seeing some really good synergy with this line if all three develop properly.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #204
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Not surprised. Will also not be surprised if he is traded for one of MDZ or Gardiner over the weekend.

Backlund really needed to show he was an everyday 2nd line center to stay on the flames and i don't think he has done it to date or might be able to do it for that matter.
What's a second line centre with 4th line wingers.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #205
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Dude, you're the one who set the criteria....and I expanded it to the entire CHL for you.

"I think you will find 100's or even 1000's of guys that were around the top of their league in scoring that did not amount to anything."
So around the top is what I said not top ten not sure what the problem is.

Also said or even 1000's qualifying that as not a certainty but a possibility.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #206
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like Backlund. It would be very tough, as a fan, to watch him go, especially because of his attitude and work ethic.

But, this is a business. If he fetches the Flames a good return then I support it 100%
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #207
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I've always liked Backlund and thought last season he was really starting to put it together, but he seems to be treading water, at best, this season. With that said I don't see much upside in trading him for a 2nd round pick or something similar, as the reality is there is a slim chance that pick ever becomes a player of Backlund's quality.

I think if they can trade him as part of a cap dump deal with some team needing to get rid of a big contract, wanting a half decent player back and willing to provide a top end young asset/1st round pick as a sweetener, it would be worth it. I think if they could package him up with Cammy (for example) to bring back a couple of top end young assets/draft picks, it again would be worth it. But trading him 1-1 for a mid round pick or underachieving player in his mid 20's doesn't have much appeal and I certainly wouldn't be inclined to do it.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #208
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Backlund shouldn't really be judged on points alone, he's never going to be a first liner but I'd guess he will end up being a good 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd, kills some penalties and peaks around 15-20 goals and 40-50 points.

He skates well and plays good two way hockey, kind of player who will eventually be on a winning team. I'd have nothing against moving him but the return should be really good with his salary, age and 2 way skillset.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #209
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
So around the top is what I said not top ten not sure what the problem is.

Also said or even 1000's qualifying that as not a certainty but a possibility.

Well, the problem is that you exaggerated reality to support your point. Thousands would imply at least 2000. Since you were only talking about the WHL you likely overstated your point by a factor of 10. That's exponential exaggeration man!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #210
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
quoted for incorrect use of prodigal son, but hey i'm sure it sounded smart in your head.
That poll in my signature haunts you, right?
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #211
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where ru Chris O'Sullivan View Post
That poll in my signature haunts you, right?
You're the only one seems to care about that poll.

Kind of weird.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DOOM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #212
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Well, the problem is that you exaggerated reality to support your point. Thousands would imply at least 2000. Since you were only talking about the WHL you likely overstated your point by a factor of 10. That's exponential exaggeration man!
Well the 1000's was thrown in as a possibility as 100's was the number that I was using. And yes that would be based on players drafted overall that produced at their level not just at the CHL level.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #213
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would really like to see them try him on the wing first, Baertschi - Monahan - Backlund?

I thought he did excellent with Cammy and Hudler but as usual his "opportunity" lasted less than 2 games.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #214
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I would really like to see them try him on the wing first, Baertschi - Monahan - Backlund?

I thought he did excellent with Cammy and Hudler but as usual his "opportunity" lasted less than 2 games.
People mention that, but fail to mention that they were hot garbage in the second game.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #215
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Id be sad to see backs go for sure
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #216
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
In a deep draft such as 2013 he'd be 2nd/3rd rounder anyway. I think it's safe to say that 2007 was the weakest draft class of the decade:

Spoiler!

That's it
That actually doesn't seem that weak to me. 1 superstar, one 1b centre in Couture, 4 legit top 6 forwards, 3 top 4 d-men, and a bunch of solid NHL regulars. When you compare it to the 2008 Draft class, similiar amount of star power, and about the same amount of NHL regulars compared to flops (DAMN YOU GREG NEMISZ):
Spoiler!
Old 11-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #217
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
That actually doesn't seem that weak to me. 1 superstar, one 1b centre in Couture, 4 legit top 6 forwards, 3 top 4 d-men, and a bunch of solid NHL regulars. When you compare it to the 2008 Draft class, similiar amount of star power, and about the same amount of NHL regulars compared to flops (DAMN YOU GREG NEMISZ):
Spoiler!
Wow, John Carlson sure would look good on our back end right now.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #218
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
quoted for incorrect use of prodigal son, but hey i'm sure it sounded smart in your head.
Prodigal Son:
-a person who spends money in a recklessly extravagant way.
-a person who leaves home to lead a prodigal life but later makes a repentant return.

That moment when 95% of CP is actually calling him a prodigal son, but in the exact opposite way. (In that there were lofty expectations that failed to be met.)

Last edited by TheDebaser; 11-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #219
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Backlund doesn't learn to win faceoffs then he doesn't do much good as a 3C. Maybe wing is the future for him. I'd be interested to see how he would do with Baertschi and Monahan.

As far as trades go, I would be interested in a Backlund + Butler for Del Zotto deal. I was reading up on Del Zotto and apparently he doesn't play well on the right side and he is stuck behind Staal and McDonough (as well as not playing all that well). Same age as Brodie but has already put up two 30+ point seasons and was on pace for another one last year.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #220
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's still young and has considerable upside. I would want someone of equal skill level and scoring potential, in exchange, with perhaps a little more physicality. Even swapping for a 2nd wouldn't excite me.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote