Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Problem with Air Canada lately

So, yesterday on a Friday on Easter Break a lot of Air Canada pilots decided to call in sick. That prompt a lot of cancellations and delayed flights on a lot of Air Canada flight. Last night I have to pick up my bosses' wife and daughter at teh airport flying from Las Vegas. The flight was supposed to arrive at 9:40pm but ended up coming in at 11:20pm. A few weeks ago, it was the baggage handlers that walked out of their job illegally. God knows which department it is going to be next. I have to fly international on May 4th but the problem is I have to fly from Calgary to Vancouver first and it is from Air Canada. I have 3 hours wait for my flight from Vancouver to Asia. Now I am getting worried that Air Canada employees might pull some stupid stunts again that day and might end up missing my connecting flight. I have everything booked up and if I miss that flight I might have to lose all the money that I paid including my flight to Asia. I am just worried about my flight to Vancouver and I will be so pi$$ed off if I miss my connecting flight. I don't think Air Canada will reimburse me for all my losses if their employee messed up my vacation. Having said what other alternatives that I have other than spending more money and hoping the alternative flight by West Jet will be available.
My question is how many people from CP are affected with Air Canada illegal strike/walkout? What can we do to avoid this mess?
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
So, yesterday on a Friday on Easter Break a lot of Air Canada pilots decided to call in sick. That prompt a lot of cancellations and delayed flights on a lot of Air Canada flight. Last night I have to pick up my bosses' wife and daughter at teh airport flying from Las Vegas. The flight was supposed to arrive at 9:40pm but ended up coming in at 11:20pm. A few weeks ago, it was the baggage handlers that walked out of their job illegally. God knows which department it is going to be next. I have to fly international on May 4th but the problem is I have to fly from Calgary to Vancouver first and it is from Air Canada. I have 3 hours wait for my flight from Vancouver to Asia. Now I am getting worried that Air Canada employees might pull some stupid stunts again that day and might end up missing my connecting flight. I have everything booked up and if I miss that flight I might have to lose all the money that I paid including my flight to Asia. I am just worried about my flight to Vancouver and I will be so pi$$ed off if I miss my connecting flight. I don't think Air Canada will reimburse me for all my losses if their employee messed up my vacation. Having said what other alternatives that I have other than spending more money and hoping the alternative flight by West Jet will be available.
My question is how many people from CP are affected with Air Canada illegal strike/walkout? What can we do to avoid this mess?
I just flew to Hawaii and back, returning on Easter Weekend. I flew with Air Canada and everything went as smooth as a well oiled machine. Just thought I'd rub it in before they screw over your vacation. j/k. There is only 3 days in the last 5-6 weeks that have had problems because of the labour disputes Air Canada is going through. Chances are very good that you won't have any problems. Just be prepared to switch flights.

When I came back from Hawaii we stopped in Vancouver and caught another flight to Calgary. I noticed that there were several flights between Calgary and Vancouver for that day. Chances are, if your flight does get cancelled, that you could probably catch the next one, just stick close by so you can be 1st in line.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Might be a good idea to get some kind of vacation insurance.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fly WestJet
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saskflames69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
Fly WestJet
Unfortunately my packages comes with Air Canada to Vancouver. I cannot change it unless i want to spend extra money for one-way flight to Vancouver. On the way back i am not too worried because i am no rush to go home. I guess i'll just hope for the best.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

Stupid stunt?

If I'm running an airline the last group I want to have pissed off at me is the pilots. Maybe some of the problems Air Canada is suffering right is the result of.... Air Canada? Maybe?
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrusaderPi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to be booking a few flights shortly and have decided to stay away from Air Canada. Why risk it?

And for the record, I do like Air Canada. I travel a lot and have had worse experiences on West Jet and have never had an issue with Air Canada. The flights I'm booking are international, so West Jet isn't an option any way though.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dear Penthouse letters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
. ..Last night I have to pick up my bosses' wife and daughter at teh airport flying from Las Vegas....
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

White people problems.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
White people problems.
White people problems or not, I get stressed out enough as it is with air travel, this would bring me to the brink.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPi View Post
Stupid stunt?

If I'm running an airline the last group I want to have pissed off at me is the pilots. Maybe some of the problems Air Canada is suffering right is the result of.... Air Canada? Maybe?
The pilots are crying because Air Canada is trying to become competitive by launching a discount airline that can compete with other carriers and by eliminating gold-plated pensions for new hires.

This is just another union stunt by a group too stupid to realize they risk driving their employer right out of business.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
White people problems or not, I get stressed out enough as it is with air travel, this would bring me to the brink.
Yeah, I actually hate it when people post "white people problems", but I'd never done it before, so I decided to be a jackass.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The pilots are crying because Air Canada is trying to become competitive by launching a discount airline that can compete with other carriers and by eliminating gold-plated pensions for new hires.

This is just another union stunt by a group too stupid to realize they risk driving their employer right out of business.
Thing is, the car companies and Air Canada previously haven't gone out of business... they've been bailed out instead. The unions have no reason to believe it will be any different this time.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
White people problems.
They let people of all races fly now.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would say take a chance, I was traveling Air Canada last month when the wildcat strikes were happening and I lucked out, my travel days missed the job action days. A lot of times I've been on flights where departure was delayed waiting for connecting passengers, so if your ticket was booked as a connecting flight you should be ok as long as it's not cancelled altogether.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
jayswin

Exp:

nm

Phew, good thing I thought better of that and no one caught it. It would have been an insta-ban.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
nm

Phew, good thing I thought better of that and no one caught it. It would have been an insta-ban.
I have a screen shot
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPi View Post
Stupid stunt?

Don't get me wrong. I am not taking sides here. I just felt the same way as the other people who gets affected this crap. I am sure Air Canada doesn't give a crap about what the public is saying about them because they know if people stops using them the government will bail them out with taxpayer's money. Maybe that's why they don't try to stop the wildcat strike.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have a screen shot
Alright, pm your email address, I'll send you a $200 email transfer and that screenshot gets deleted. deal?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

I agree in part, and believe that's for sure a concern, but don't think that's the main reason...

Is the pilot union, who thinks the government broke the law by stripping away their power to strike, retaliating by calling in sick? Or is it the company using the media to gain government and public support by painting the pilots as the bad guys when they, along with our wonderful government, should be the place where public animosity is directed to in the first place?

Did you know, for the company's first supposed "sick out", their own figures show no more people booked off that weekend than that same weekend the year before.

I would like to know exactly how many pilots called in sick just recently, as I have heard many talk about pilots on reserve who were never called in to cover those cancelled flights.

I feel horrible for anyone who has their vacation plans ruined, don't get me wrong, I really do, but I also feel for the pilots who have been put in a really tough spot. I am not a fan of unions at all, but the pilots have been railroaded.

This company, led by executives who get paid ridiculously insane bonuses, has been in shambles for a long time.
It's not the pilots who have cost the company hundreds of millions each year after year and the pilots will not be the ones resposible for running the company out of business.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote