Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #6001
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Yeah, I guess that's the other part that I found noteworthy (and that some people on Twitter were not happy about). I can understand being green and learning from the experience of the pilot and even the first season or two, but it seems like they just kind of put it on autopilot to an extent, and then were caught off guard around Seasons 5-6.
So...when they ran out of books to guide them?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #6002
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This opinion would make sense if the best seasons weren't the ones that has the books to use as guardrails. Once they didn't have them it got significantly worse.

This is simple, they wanted out, they wanted to get to the next big paycheck so they rushed it. We don't really need to delve deeper into their psyche than that.
Fair point in the first paragraph but you are assuming a lot in the second, and I can't necessarily agree with that.

I still say though, the books being used as guardrails for the writing in the first few seasons is an overstatement. At best, the books served as pylons, and they constantly strayed from the narrative of the books to create a far more compelling story. The books were the basis for main characters, some major plot points, and some structure of the universe. But really the show barely resembles the books, and that's a good thing because it would be nearly unwatchable if it was faithful to the books.

I'm not going to pretend that I loved the last two seasons, and yes, not having source material may have hurt the writing, but I still give them lots of credit for some of the best TV writing and world building ever.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #6003
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started reading GOT when the first book came out, and before that enjoyed quite a few of RR's stories. There has always been a depth, even to his short stories (highly recommend Dreamscapes for bedtime) that invite discussion and further thought after reading.

I've literally waited years, if not decades at this point, for there to be enough interest in Martin's work to have such a vast dis-ciphering of his books, and now this series.

But I've just been asked to write a thirty page fanfic about 3-CPO, so I'm out!
WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

/thread
Old 10-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #6004
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Anyone read Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James? It is the first book in a trilogy called Dark Star, and is being promoted as a kind of African Game of Thrones.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/08/69241...east-of-a-book
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ame-of-thrones

Quote:
For two years, he researched African history and mythology, constructing the foundation for a fantastical vision of the continent that would invert the monolithic “Africa” invented by the West. He drew on oral epics, like the Epic of Sundiata, which some people believe was the basis for “The Lion King,” though the filmmakers have called it an “original story,” while admitting some parallels with Shakespeare. (“I felt like these stories had been stolen from me,” James said at Comic Con. “People say that ‘The Lion King’ is based on ‘Hamlet.’ Please.”) He read legendary monster tales, like those about the Inkanyamba, a South African serpent with a horse’s head, who causes summer storms. He made notes on the grammar of African languages, to inflect the book’s prose. He briefly considered doing a historical series, an “Ethiopian ‘Wolf Hall,’ ” but then reverted to his dream of writing fantasy that honored the African diaspora. He wanted to build a “vast playground of myth and history and legend that other people can draw from, a pool that’s as rich as Viking or Celtic lore,” he said.

He sketched his new world’s geography. (The maps that appear in the book are his work.) He made a list of characters that kept getting longer. There would be a quest to find a boy, he decided, and a motley group of seekers: a Moon Witch, a mournful giant, a perceptive buffalo. He wondered if the Aesi—a man with “skin like tar, hair red, when you see him you hear the flutter of black wings”—ought to narrate the story. Then he started thinking about a character called Tracker, a hunter with a nose that can suss out the details of a man’s life in an instant—the spices in his kitchen, the last time he washed—and track a woman to another city with just a whiff of her shirt. Tracker would be sullen and resentful, reserving his gentleness for a group of deformed children, called mingi, whom he meets through an “anti-witch” called the Sangoma.
Michael B. Jordan purchased the rights to produce a film adaptation of the novel in February 2019. [wikipedia]
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #6005
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
HBO has reportedly scrapped a prequel series that had been expected expand the world of Game of Thrones.
A pilot episode of the sprawling, untitled series was shot in June, but the the project will not be advancing, according to reports in industry outlets Deadline, Variety and Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...339898?cmp=rss
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #6006
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's really disappointing. I really like this universe and think that dedicated people can do some really good work with it.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #6007
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it sucked, it sucked. I'm sure someone will find a way to make something that works. Apparently this wasn't it.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #6008
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead, HBO has given a green light to a GoT prequel series focused on the Targaryens.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-order-1250974

Quote:
The prequel is set 300 years before the events of the flagship series that tracks the beginnings and the end of House Targaryen. Emilia Clarke earned four Emmy nominations for her role as fan-favorite Daenerys Targaryen. Martin and Condal will pen the script for the drama, which is based on Martin's book Fire & Blood. Miguel Sapochnik, who earned an Emmy for helming "The Battle of the Bastards" episode, will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Vince Gerardis will also exec produce. Sapochnik and Condal will serve as co-showrunners. House of the Dragon will be the first project to stem from a new overall deal that Sapochnik has signed with HBO, in which he'll develop and produce content for both HBO and HBO Max.

“The Game of Thrones universe is so rich with stories,” says HBO programming president Casey Bloys said. “We look forward to exploring the origins of House Targaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan and George.”

The project that was cancelled was supposed to be set thousands of years prior to GoT and would have dealt with Westeros before the days of the Wall or the arrival of the Targaryens and their dragons.

Dragons > No dragons
Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #6009
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, most of the dragon stuff was bad anyway. I could live without them.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #6010
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, most of the dragon stuff was bad anyway. I could live without them.
I would definitely prefer a first men, children of the forest, birth of the white walkers, creation of the wall series.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #6011
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about sequel instead of prequel? Get this idiot off the throne.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #6012
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How about sequel instead of prequel? Get this idiot off the throne.

Or a sequel taking place several hundred years in the making as a young Ezrie Targaryan decides to protest the Vietnam War using a dragon.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #6013
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How about sequel instead of prequel? .
So just, continue the series? Is there any appetite for that whatsoever?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #6014
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
So just, continue the series? Is there any appetite for that whatsoever?

I don't think it would be that interesting, the Dragons are gone, the Targaryn's are gone. The good villains are gone, there's a unemotional dufus on the throne who can see the future.

Where would they go with it?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #6015
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The project that was cancelled was supposed to be set thousands of years prior to GoT and would have dealt with Westeros before the days of the Wall or the arrival of the Targaryens and their dragons.

It was supposed to deal with the first long night, when the white walkers originally invaded. Would have been pretty anticlimactic though when you know how easily they were defeated in the 2nd long night, which wasn't even a full regular night
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #6016
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think it would be that interesting, the Dragons are gone, the Targaryn's are gone. The good villains are gone, there's a unemotional dufus on the throne who can see the future.
Yeah, I don't disagree that's why I insinuated the interest in a sequel isn't there.

Thinking about it though, wasn't the first few seasons, sans dragons, limited fantasy tropes far more interesting than when it went head first into them? The dragons and the Targaryns barely existed in the first season and when they did it was far and away the least interesting plot line. Sure a doofus is on the throne but a doofus was on the throne when the series started too.

It'll never happen but the idea that the world of game of thrones is spoiled because D&D couldn't write an ending is wrong IMO.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #6017
Knut

Exp:

From Reddit

https://gfycat.com/measlyillustrious...nes-bran-stark
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #6018
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I'd watch a Seinfeld/GoT remake.

"So...you want to go this Wall?"

"Nah. Coffee shop?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #6019
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I would definitely prefer a first men, children of the forest, birth of the white walkers, creation of the wall series.
By far the biggest disappointment in the series was the lack of payoff for the White Walkers. I would watch a children of the forest/first men war series, just so they would have the opportunity to retcon why the Night King allowed himself to die, and ordered his most powerful generals to sit the last battle out.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #6020
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Missed this video last year, which is sad because it's amazing

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: