Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #221
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

lol I'm pretty useless as well just have experience effin with mine & my parents receivers but yah thats probably the reason. It seems to be the best setting and if you get up close to the receiver you'll see all the dolby and dts symbols pop up. But definitely use multichannel when its real 7.1, I always check once the actual movie starts playing on the ps3 by pressing the select button as it will tell you if its 5.1 or 7.1 for sure. (doing this in the title screen or even the warnings at the beginning will still say 5.1 even if its a 7.1 movie)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #222
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Will it show during downloaded movies as well from my media server or just dvds/bluerays?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #223
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yah I'm pretty sure it will show for anything playing through the PS3. Im still using my usb stick and cheap old WD media box for downloaded media.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #224
Danijam
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think before you add more speakers you should hang some art on the walls, Sliver.
Danijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #225
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You guys have some sweet setups!

Minor update, I decided not to go to Montana to purchase a TV due to lack of warranty transfer. So I ended up buying a TV that I hadn't thought of buying intially.

Had the guy at Visions ring up a 60" LED Quattron with 4 years warranty and it was about $1000 more than I wanted to spend. So I ended up with a 60" LG 60PK550. With a 4 year warranty it came to just under $1900.

I must say going from a 50" to a 60" was a HUGE difference. I am a big fan so far.

Really wanted a projector but the wife just did not like that idea. I will post some pics here in the next few days since I really like seeing what everyone else has done.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #226
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering if folks in here could help me out. I am having some trouble with my home theatre setup... and it seems if I am looking for experts this is the place to ask.

I have the Samsung HW-C560S system which comes with a receiver.

Now, I have tried connecting it to my devices in multiple different ways but I can't seem to get things to work.

I tried connecting all of my devices to the receiver and then running an HDMI from my receiver to the TV. When I did this I only got sound from one device (Blu-ray player).

Currently I have it hooked up to provide sound for my computer via digital audio because that is what I use most but I would love to figure out why I can't get it working for Blu-ray or TV. I have all of my devices except the computer now hooked up to the TV with an HDMI running from my receiver to my TV. When I switch to those devices I just get sound from the TV speakers.

My equipment:

PC (Connected via digital audio)
Samsung Blu-ray player (Connected via HDMI)
Shaw HD box (Connected via Component)
Xbox 360 (Connected via HDMI)

Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P LCD TV (Connected via HDMI)

Samsung HW-C560S home theatre system

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #227
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nehkera, unless your receiver does upconverting you will probably have to send your Shaw box to your TV via component cables also.

Your other problems with your HDMI connections could be a HDCP handshake problem. I've found that turning on my receiver before the TV may help. This site may help you.

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi...guidelines.php
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #228
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's just say that someone listened to a terminator movie a tad too loud, and now that person's sub crackles.

Any fixes or is it pooched?
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #229
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crackles? Could be blown. If so it's pooched.
Also, it could just be bottoming out. Can you adjust the volume on it (either at the sub or from the amp)? It may just be set too high.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #230
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those looking for a 7.1 receiver, Dell has the following Harman on sale:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=A4488568
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #231
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
For those looking for a 7.1 receiver, Dell has the following Harman on sale:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=A4488568

aw man I just bought this receiver 2 weeks ago same price but no blueray player

wow that blueray is 550 on its own...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #232
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been eying this receiver for a while, but don't really know much about home theatre. This seems like a pretty good price. Thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...13&StoreId=947
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #233
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I've been eying this receiver for a while, but don't really know much about home theatre. This seems like a pretty good price. Thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...13&StoreId=947
That is an epic price for an epic receiver...wow I had no idea it was available for so little now.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #234
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
That is an epic price for an epic receiver...wow I had no idea it was available for so little now.
I picked one up last night. I am trying to slowly buy a home theatre system and I was pretty sure that was the receiver I was going to buy. Haven't saved up enough for the whole thing, but it was the best price I've seen for it so I thought I might as well pull the trigger. It was only at that price for one day, now it's still on sale but for $530. Now I just need to buy speakers, well decide which speakers I want to buy, well save up for speakers.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #235
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am doing my basement and planning out my theater, and using this thread for some ideas. I am definitely going for a projector, and was thinking about the screens from Tiger Direct (accuscreen), 106" for $230 + shipping. But now I see that costco has mustang screens, same size, for $140 including shipping. I don't mind the price on either one, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the comparison between the two. Both are electric, though the accuscreen comes with both IR and RF remote, the mustang only with IR. I don't think that is much of an issue for me.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #236
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was in the same dilema reviews on both were decent nothing spectacular. I am really enjoying the accuscreen looks great works well was easy to set up. I think I remember seeing that the mustang didn't have a limit switch? Not sure if that is true or not. RF remote will be real handy if you are hiding the screen in the wall or roof. My accuscreen came with free shipping from tiger direct did you click checkout I would think yours would to.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #237
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks. I think I might go for the accuscreen....the reviews I read seemed to indicate more of a quality issue with the Mustang screens, though I have limited faith in online reviews. The fact that you are happy with yours is comforting.

I was going to go with the screen hidden in the ceiling, but it turns out the way the joists are won't allow it. I am thinking of maybe finding some sort of valance to go around it to hide it somewhat.

Are you still happy with your IR kit? I am trying to figure out where I want to house the gear, and if I hide it (maybe just in closed in cabinets underneath the screen) then I'll need an IR kit of some sort. I just want to ensure it will work well.

Also, if anyone has seen an Epson Home cinema 8350 projector, that is the one I am thinking of going with. They seem hard to find in Canada though.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #238
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ir kit is still great thinking about upgrading to a newer harmony remote that has RF in it as well. If you want you can come swing by and see the screen in action before blindly purchasing one. For mounting to the roof because my joists screw me as well is I am building a bulk head so it looks like an air duct then it will just drop from behind it
Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #239
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Thanks. I think I might go for the accuscreen....the reviews I read seemed to indicate more of a quality issue with the Mustang screens, though I have limited faith in online reviews. The fact that you are happy with yours is comforting.

I was going to go with the screen hidden in the ceiling, but it turns out the way the joists are won't allow it. I am thinking of maybe finding some sort of valance to go around it to hide it somewhat.

Are you still happy with your IR kit? I am trying to figure out where I want to house the gear, and if I hide it (maybe just in closed in cabinets underneath the screen) then I'll need an IR kit of some sort. I just want to ensure it will work well.

Also, if anyone has seen an Epson Home cinema 8350 projector, that is the one I am thinking of going with. They seem hard to find in Canada though.
I had a tough time finding that one here as well. It does seem pretty bad ass.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #240
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...sku=V11H373120
Get free shipping within Canada.

Also: http://www.electronicsforless.ca/vid...ctor-2043.html
Cheaper but $30 shipping

Last edited by csnarpy; 05-25-2011 at 12:33 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post: