Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #321
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I asked you a simple question because I wanted to know if it was on PC.
I think he thought you were being sarcastic, since there hasn't been an NHL game on PC (at least from EA) in a long time...I think the last one I remember was like '09.

But as for the game, I've only played NHL 17 like once or twice since buying it, so I can't comment too much in terms of details.

It does seem to be improved in terms of performance, but I wish they would fix some of the more basic things, like people have said in this thread already. Instead of adding bobbleheads, why not program a realistic feature people would actually use, like the coach's challenge?

I write software for a living, so trying to add a feature like that is a huge endeavour...but I'm sure a team of programmers could figure it out. But that one feature alone would be a huge selling point for people to buy the game.

And bring back GM Connected, ffs.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #322
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I enjoy/dislike this game all at once.

Where it really fails, and has for years is many of the nuances.

1. The blue line - players are to stupid to adjust their stick in order to keep the puck in the zone if you're near the line.

2. There is no space between defence and offence, which is why players do stupid things like not retrieve a puck that's close to them.

3. Assessment system has no middle ground either. I get penalized for badly aiming a shot because it assumes that every shot is intended to score. Sometimes that writer from the blue line is taken to create a rebound, not to straight out score. There are so many other things with the assessment system that are brutal too (this is in Be a Pro).
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #323
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coppernian One View Post
1. The blue line - players are to stupid to adjust their stick in order to keep the puck in the zone if you're near the line.
YES. I forgot this one. This is super annoying. How hard can this be to program in? Any player is going to try to keep the puck in, but some of the animations lead to blue liners actually deliberately (or so it appears) putting their team offside. Maddening.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #324
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving some of the angry rants on this thread. I think based on what I am hearing about the lack of bug fixes and the refusal to fix be a GM mode I am going to skip 17 and wait for 18.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #325
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
New annoyance: why are the replays of disallowed / under review goals unskippable? They take at least 60 seconds to get through and no one wants to watch that super slow mo crap. I had three in one period yesterday and it was the most frustrating thing ever.
If you pause and come back it skips it, but yeah super annoying.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #326
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
New annoyance: why are the replays of disallowed / under review goals unskippable? They take at least 60 seconds to get through and no one wants to watch that super slow mo crap. I had three in one period yesterday and it was the most frustrating thing ever.
Meant to respond to this a while ago.

Introducing the review into the game has always annoyed me. I understand they are trying to make a realistic simulation but it is just unnecessary. In RL hockey there is human error involved in the goal decisions and it is a good idea to have a video review. In video game hockey the refs should be perfect 100% of the time. Just call it a goal or not and drop the puck again.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #327
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I'm loving this game and believe it to be a thousands times better then 16, lol. There are of course still some game play issues in EASHL but when you're having fun playing with friends, the issues can for the most part be overlooked. I only started playing HUT in the last few weeks that i owned NHL 16 but I'm having a lot of fun with it in 17 as well. Playing against either the comp or online is fun, winning currency to use to bid on players is a blast but by far the best is the new Draft Champions mode. To be able to play with the likes of MacInnis, Bossy, Clark or even Bure (so many breakaways) in a quick mini four game tournament is just the best. I just started a Franchise mode and so far its been super cool. Sure its a gimmick but setting ticket, food and parking prices takes me back to when i used to play Madden. Assigning promotional nights and then having the game actually show you a Gio bobble head, i think is pretty dam cool. Every game is going to have its flaws sure but i feel NHL 17 gives you the ability with game play sliders to control almost everything and fine tune the experience to the way you want to play the game. I'm super happy with the improvements this iteration of the game has made and probably the most important for me is I'm having a blast playing the game.
Sharing a positive experience in CP.........what was I thinking!?!
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #328
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I gotta agree with you Iceman and I'm pretty jaded by EA at this point.

This game is miles ahead of last years offering. There are issues and it seems like the more they change the settings the more they screw it up.

It's not a perfect game but I am pretty surprised at how good it is given the two previous releases.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #329
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either I've gotten worse or the gameplay changed to my detriment, but I got level 2/3 on HUT in 16, but I literally am 1-9-1 so far
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #330
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone tried relocating a franchise yet?
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #331
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
That was a needed comment to a question. You realize that asking what format you play the game on is not nagging right? Again just an example of you being a child.
It's AcGold's video game schtick man. He comes into the thread for the game, talks about how it's bad specifically because the animations suck, and then waits for responses. It's always the animations. Typically nobody cares, I guess because we don't work with blendspaces or something.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #332
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Played this at a buddy's house. I suck. Will not buy
Old 10-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #333
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Has anyone tried relocating a franchise yet?
Yeah, Katz told me he wasn't interested so I gave up. I might try trading away all their good pieces to Calgary for peanuts and moving then. Not really sure how you generate interest in relocation but I figure poor on ice performance will do it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #334
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I relocated Calgary to Seattle... With a little help from the 'always approve relocation' option. During the offseason during relocation, Chad Friggin' Johnson jumped up to a 91 overall. I thought it was too good to be true, so I didn't re-sign him. By opening day he dropped to a 81 and poor Columbus was saddled with a $7.95m goalie for 6 years. I did the right thing and traded Elliot (84) and a 2nd for Korpisalo (90) and a 5th.

Also, my fans love me and I sold almost 95% of my season tickets. I'm really enjoying getting to set prices for so many things.

Also also, did they exclude Jankowski from the game?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #335
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So I relocated Calgary to Seattle... With a little help from the 'always approve relocation' option. During the offseason during relocation, Chad Friggin' Johnson jumped up to a 91 overall. I thought it was too good to be true, so I didn't re-sign him. By opening day he dropped to a 81 and poor Columbus was saddled with a $7.95m goalie for 6 years. I did the right thing and traded Elliot (84) and a 2nd for Korpisalo (90) and a 5th.

Also, my fans love me and I sold almost 95% of my season tickets. I'm really enjoying getting to set prices for so many things.

Also also, did they exclude Jankowski from the game?
I'm guessing he will be in the next roster update. They don't add players to the game until they have played at least one pro game.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #336
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
I'm guessing he will be in the next roster update. They don't add players to the game until they have played at least one pro game.
Which he did last year.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #337
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
I think players have to be under contract. And I don't think Mark was under contract, or at least not an NHL contract. I thought his contract last year was more or less a PTO.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #338
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default EA Sports NHL 17

I kind of annoyed how I have bar none the best team in the league (91 offence, 95 defence, 92 goaltending) and still miss the playoffs. I play my Franchise mode more realistic, as I sin every and all games. I take care of everything off the ice and scrutinize every small detail, but I leave the on-ice stuff to the players. Apparently a top line of Gaudreau (95)- Monahan(92) - Patrick(93) has a tough time putting up more than 50 points each in a season.

Edit: Does anyone have any recommendations for making Mark in 17? I think I'm going to redo my Franchise because several things have gone terribly wrong and I'd like to have him in the system.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 10-11-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #339
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
I think players have to be under contract. And I don't think Mark was under contract, or at least not an NHL contract. I thought his contract last year was more or less a PTO.
An EA developer once explained that according to their license agreements players in Jankowski's situation had to have at least their Professional Hockey Players Association cards to be placed in the game for the North American leagues.

He would have had that issued to him last year by playing a single game in a North American professional ice hockey league.

His exclusion was an oversight, unless things have changed for some reason.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #340
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I kind of annoyed how I have bar none the best team in the league (91 offence, 95 defence, 92 goaltending) and still miss the playoffs. I play my Franchise mode more realistic, as I sin every and all games. I take care of everything off the ice and scrutinize every small detail, but I leave the on-ice stuff to the players. Apparently a top line of Gaudreau (95)- Monahan(92) - Patrick(93) has a tough time putting up more than 50 points each in a season.

Edit: Does anyone have any recommendations for making Mark in 17? I think I'm going to redo my Franchise because several things have gone terribly wrong and I'd like to have him in the system.
One of the bad things about creating players is that if their last name isn't programmed into the game's commentary then you are forced to assign him something completely irrelevant.

For instance, the closest thing I could find for Jankowski was Janks, which sounds ridiculous in the game. You can't even select "No Play-by-play Name".

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran