Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #1141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If you're a neutral and not watching Spurs and WHU, don't change a thing. I think WHU crossed half 2-3 times and occasionally had less than 8-9 players outside their own box.

Now at half watching the pundits praise this is laughable. Sure...congrats on staying at 0-0, but this is what's wrong with the game.
Negative tactics get points.

Mourinho's made a career out of it, Big 'Pint 'o Wine' Sam has proven it, Moyes, Hughes and Hodgson do it, and on and on the list goes.

Look at the EPL right now, you've got City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal at the top, but every time a lower team has to play them they park the bus, thus far I'd say that only City and Chelsea have proven successful at breaking down teams in entrenched positions.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #1142
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Negative tactics get points.

Mourinho's made a career out of it, Big 'Pint 'o Wine' Sam has proven it, Moyes, Hughes and Hodgson do it, and on and on the list goes.

Look at the EPL right now, you've got City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal at the top, but every time a lower team has to play them they park the bus, thus far I'd say that only City and Chelsea have proven successful at breaking down teams in entrenched positions.
Yeah, I agree...it works. It's just so terrible to watch. Frankly, its the trap/clutch and grab that we've all come to know and love in Canada. It's not pretty, it sort of works (if the ref lets you get away with it) and it keeps managers in jobs.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #1143
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ross Barkley going to Chelsea for £15m it seems. Out of contract in the summer, so it's a relatively cheap gamble. Still don't see how he improves them though.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #1144
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Ross Barkley going to Chelsea for £15m it seems. Out of contract in the summer, so it's a relatively cheap gamble. Still don't see how he improves them though.
Spurs were supposedly in on him for along time and decided against him. I can see it because the guy hasn't played in months now, so I don't know how much of an impact he can have this season?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #1145
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Barkley to Chelsea is a done deal at £15M.

In other surprises:

Quote:
Andy Carroll to Chelsea

The Daily Mail claim Chelsea have spoken to West Ham United about the possibility of taking Carroll to Stamford Bridge on loan this month in what would be one of the biggest shocks of the window. Antonio Conte wants to bring in back-up for Alvaro Morata and the Blues believe Carroll is that man. West Ham boss David Moyes doesn't want to let the former Liverpool striker leave but Chelsea believe a deal can be struck.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/socc...oll-to-chelsea

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #1146
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

There are bubbling rumours that Andy Carroll is a target for Chelsea.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...onte-west-ham/

I'd be happy if the fee received by West Ham was decent. I like his character, and Big Andy is a powerhouse in the air, but his fitness is a significant issue.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #1147
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lingard and Rashford must have gone through some crazy Freaky Friday body switch thing.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #1148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Virgil. Van. Dijk.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #1149
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho yesterday: "Because I don’t behave as a clown on the touchline it means I lost my passion? I prefer to do the way I do it. Much more mature, better for my team and myself. You don’t have to behave like a crazy guy on the touchline. The way a person is dedicated to his work, not what you do in front of the cameras."

Conte today: "I think he has to see himself in the past – maybe he was speaking about himself in the past. Maybe, sometimes, I think that someone forgets what’s said in the past, which is his behaviour. Sometimes I think there is, I don’t know the name, but demenza senile … when you forget what you do in the past."

Mourinho today: "I don't blame him. The press should apologise to me and him. The question was completely wrong and because of that, out of control reaction. I was speaking about myself. You said Mourinho said you behaved as a clown. I was speaking about myself. I don't need the Chelsea manager to say I made mistakes in the past and will in the future. What I will say is I will never be banned for match fixing."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #1150
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Mourinho yesterday: "Because I don’t behave as a clown on the touchline it means I lost my passion? I prefer to do the way I do it. Much more mature, better for my team and myself. You don’t have to behave like a crazy guy on the touchline. The way a person is dedicated to his work, not what you do in front of the cameras."

Conte today: "I think he has to see himself in the past – maybe he was speaking about himself in the past. Maybe, sometimes, I think that someone forgets what’s said in the past, which is his behaviour. Sometimes I think there is, I don’t know the name, but demenza senile … when you forget what you do in the past."

Mourinho today: "I don't blame him. The press should apologise to me and him. The question was completely wrong and because of that, out of control reaction. I was speaking about myself. You said Mourinho said you behaved as a clown. I was speaking about myself. I don't need the Chelsea manager to say I made mistakes in the past and will in the future. What I will say is I will never be banned for match fixing."

Ahh...the Jersey Manchester Shore.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #1151
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on Chelsea-United FA Cup Final. I wanna see a touchline brawl between Mourinho and Conte.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #1152
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here we go again.

Quote:
The Football Association is expected to launch an investigation into allegations by the Everton defender Mason Holgate that he was racially abused by Roberto Firmino during Liverpool’s FA Cup win at Anfield.

Holgate clashed with the Liverpool forward after pushing him over the advertising hoardings in the first half of the home side’s 2-1 victory. Firmino reacted furiously and ran towards the Everton defender, who erupted after something was said by the Brazil international. Holgate had to be restrained by several team-mates and appeared to complain to the referee, Robert Madley, that a racist term had been used. The match official reported the allegation to the fourth official, Jon Moss, and spoke to the 21-year-old again after the game.

Holgate’s allegation is expected to be included in Madley’s match report, which will be submitted to the FA, who will then determine whether further action is necessary.

A Liverpool spokesperson said: “The club and the player will fully co-operate with the relevant authorities to ensure the facts are established in a thorough manner if deemed necessary or requested. While that process is ongoing we will not be making any further comment.” We will be getting Firmino t-shirts made first thing in the morning.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...-mason-holgate

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #1153
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think this one is pretty simple, it's all on video.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #1154
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coutinho not on Liverpools trip to Dubai. Seems like a matter of time before his Barcelona transfer is confirmed.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #1155
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pretty strong Man City side losing to Burnley at home would definitely be a shocker.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #1156
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well so much for the shocker, two goals in two minutes for City. Second one was a brilliant backheel from Gundogan.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #1157
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Paul Joyce sayinh Coutinho to Barca is agreed for 142 mil.

That's a huge load of cash, but I'm extremely disappointed to be losing our best player again.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #1158
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Paul Joyce sayinh Coutinho to Barca is agreed for 142 mil.

That's a huge load of cash, but I'm extremely disappointed to be losing our best player again.
I still dont get why they're doing it now.

Hes Cup tied and Barca are running away with the Spanish league, they dont need him right now, a summer transfer makes much more sense.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #1159
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I still dont get why they're doing it now.

Hes Cup tied and Barca are running away with the Spanish league, they dont need him right now, a summer transfer makes much more sense.
It makes even less sense from our side. We're in a battle for a CL spot next season, and losing Coutinho now will hurt us massively in that race.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #1160
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
It makes even less sense from our side. We're in a battle for a CL spot next season, and losing Coutinho now will hurt us massively in that race.
Exactly, and as far as I can tell we dont really need the money, we'd probably prefer to have the player.

As far as the Merseyside Derby incident with Firmino is concerned the ref should have sent Holgate straight off for shoving a player from behind into the stands then there would be no incident to look at.