Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #481
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Commentary on the FAN960 right now, but they are talking about the potential of taking the 'A' from Monahan. Not saying it's a permanent thing, but perhaps a necessary thing to do given the situation and accountability.
Ridiculous. This incident probably makes him a better leader going forward.

If he continues to show problems, then maybe at some point you look at that. But everyone makes mistakes. The question is: do you learn from them?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #482
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Has there been any concrete evidence presented that this has been a systemic issue, or is this more of a one-off mistake?
No concrete evidence. But various former players and NHL insiders have said that making players healthy scratches is the nuclear option that only happens after other tactics to address disciplinary problems don't work. So either this isn't the first time, or the 2016 Flames are the most hard-assed NHL organization in living memory. I'm inclined to believe the former.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #483
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Not criticizing the charitable effort. Pointing out that this didn't match the "underprivileged kid didn't get to see Gaudreau" scenario that Polak tried to make.
I never made this scenario. MarkGio played the "poor kids would kill to see this game" card and I just flipped it. It's a ridiculous scenario.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #484
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I never made this scenario. MarkGio played the "poor kids would kill to see this game" card and I just flipped it. It's a ridiculous scenario.
fair enough
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #485
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Ridiculous. This incident probably makes him a better leader going forward.

If he continues to show problems, then maybe at some point you look at that. But everyone makes mistakes. The question is: do you learn from them?
To be fair they mentioned taking it for a few games to send a message. I think doing that and then returning it would really grow him as a leader.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #486
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
No concrete evidence. But various former players and NHL insiders have said that making players healthy scratches is the nuclear option that only happens after other tactics to address disciplinary problems don't work. So either this isn't the first time, or the 2016 Flames are the most hard-assed NHL organization in living memory. I'm inclined to believe the former.
Was it a nuclear option for Ovechkin earlier this season? By all accounts is was a one and done mistake there too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #487
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I didn't see this earlier. It's from a Sportsnet article:

And here’s the kicker: On Wednesday the Flames begin their “Dad’s Trip” through San Jose and Arizona. As such, all of the Flames fathers were in the Saddledome seats Tuesday night.

Ouch.
The Dad's probably came in early to attend the team Superbowl party
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #488
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It could be worse, we could have our version of Richards and Carter playing the role of the drunky brothers here.

I doubt its that situation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #489
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Was it a nuclear option for Ovechkin earlier this season? By all accounts is was a one and done mistake there too.
I have no idea if Ovechkin had any problems being late or hung over before he sat. It wouldn't surprise me if he did. A team is never going to come and publicly mention needing to take a player aside to ream him out for this stuff. Punishment only becomes public knowledge once it reaches the level of scratching the player - everything else stays behind closed doors.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #490
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It could be worse, we could have our version of Richards and Carter playing the role of the drunky brothers here.

I doubt its that situation.
And even if it could develop that way, this is nipping it in the bud, hopefully. I don't think the Flyers ever intervened with those two.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #491
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True, however I remember Hartley stating last year that he'd had zero issues or problems with any of his players. Could there have been issues throughout this year? Sure, but I don't think Hartley has been soft on them by any means.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #492
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I have no idea if Ovechkin had any problems being late or hung over before he sat. It wouldn't surprise me if he did. A team is never going to come and publicly mention needing to take a player aside to ream him out for this stuff. Punishment only becomes public knowledge once it reaches the level of scratching the player - everything else stays behind closed doors.
Not really though, it was public knowledge that Monahan and Bouma were late for practise a full day before they were rumoured to be scratched. Certainly if it was an ongoing issue some media member would have noticed by now.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #493
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's kind of what I'm getting at.

If they've been showing up late to a bunch of practices, well that is a different story. But I haven't seen that reported at all.

By all accounts, this is the first time I've seen anything reported in the media about them being late for team functions. Seems more like a "boys will be boys" type scenario where younger players make a mistake, receive discipline, and hopefully learn going forward.

Management threw down the gauntlet on them, I would expect that this will be the end of the story given the void of previously reported occurrences.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #494
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

my guess is if the team was firing on on cylinders and the boys crushed it at practice after showing up late, there would have been a more lenient response.

team is where it is.

they couldn't even do a short practice.

More about setting the tone IMO.

Doubt there is a 'history of behavior issues' here. That sounds like pure speculation from writers looking for a new angle. Think it's far simpler. We're not good enough, and sliding from not good enough backwards is unacceptable, especially when the effort is sub-standard (ie. showing up on time, doing the practice). The 'team rules' was probably valid, most teams have the rule you show up on time for practice, but IF there is anything more to this than what it is on the surface it's 'tone setting' what will/won't be tolerated.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #495
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with you. A player could have a squeaky clean record and be a coach's proverbial pet, but if he shows up late for practice, he gets scratched. Period. No coaching staff would sweep that under the rug unless it was a legit reason like blizzard, car accident, or other emergency.

Showing up 15 minutes before hitting the ice IS late, by the way.

I highly doubt there are attitude or behavioral problems with these three players. This was a one off mistake, and they paid. Hopefully all three learned something from it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #496
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pos...092/c-41101603

Here is Bob's post game.

New backdrop!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #497
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not really though, it was public knowledge that Monahan and Bouma were late for practise a full day before they were rumoured to be scratched. Certainly if it was an ongoing issue some media member would have noticed by now.
They were also sent off early from practice before the whole practice was cut short due to a pissed off Hartley.

Put 2 and 2 together here.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #498
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
They were also sent off early from practice before the whole practice was cut short due to a pissed off Hartley.
Yeah, the whole incident. Only Bouma was sent off, then Hartley cut the practice short by storming out, upset at the whole team.

Apologies for putting two and two together but not making assumptions. I'm open to the idea there was more, could very well have been. Think it's silly to automatically assume that though.

Bouma and Monahan being late was reported that afternoon. A possible scratching came out well after that. Have Calgary sports media been ignoring previous incidents? Why haven't previous incidents surfaced now with this story? Eric Francis would be all over this.

My take? Putting two and two together. Players had a Superbowl Party got pretty drunk. Monday's abbreviated practice was designed to skate the booze out. Monahan, Gaudreau and Bouma took advantage of that, got a little too drunk, didn't wake up, whatever, showed up late for practice. Entire team looked like garbage, Bouma especially, he was sent off. Hartley is pissed at the team, storms off the ice ending the skate.

Monahan, Gaudreau, Bouma given the game off as punishment.

None of that is hard to believe, none of that would suggest an ongoing issue. The media was all over this pretty fast, if there was more, we probably would have heard about it at the time, or now since the nuclear option was used.

Might there be more? Could be, don't think anyone is a rube if they disagree though.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #499
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Put 2 and 2 together here.
OK. Hamilton's an uppity loner who can't even get in trouble like a normal kid making millions of dollars.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #500
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The flames would have avoided last night's circus around the scratches if they could've but obviously felt like it was worth it to bench THREE players (2 leading scorers).

This tells me it was pretty much the nuclear option and that those 3 are all on thin ice.

Honestly, has a team ever made their 2 top scorers a healthy scratch in the middle of the season? As far as I know, it's pretty much unprecedented which I think tells you even more about the seriousness of the punishment.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote