Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 Daly believes salary cap could rise significantly after 2023/24

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...023-24-season/

Quote:
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly is optimistic the salary cap can get a significant boost after the 2023-24 season -- a year ahead of earlier forecasts from the league.

"I’ve seen some preliminary estimates recently which would make me more optimistic on the cap gong up sooner whether that’s in two seasons or three seasons, I think it’s more likely than not two seasons rather than three," Daly said in an interview with Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek from European Media Day on Wednesday.

Daly said revenue projections for the 2022-23 season are "very solid" -- meaning the cap bump could come ahead of schedule.

In March, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said he anticipates the cap to increase by more than $1 million after the escrow is repaid, which was projected to be after the 2024-25 season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is only good news for Calgary
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurry up and get Weegar locked in before more talk of this occurs lol.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last season's revenue was approximately $5.2 billion (according to Bettman). That was with a large number of teams playing in half-full buildings (or less) for most of the season too.

Under the new formula for calculating the cap once the players' debt is paid back, each year's cap will be calculated using the real revenue from 2 years prior (i.e., the 2024-25 cap will be set based on 2022-23 revenue) with no escalator.
  • The cap is calculated using the basic formula of: Total Revenue x 50% = Player's share ... Player's share / 32 = per team "midpoint" ... Midpoint x 115% = Salary Cap.

For 2021-22 revenue of $5.2 billion ... The cap would be $93.44 million in 2023-24 (it will likely still be lower as the players won't be fully paid back).

If there's a revenue increase of 5% for 2022-23, to $5.46 billion, the cap in 2024-25 would be $98.11 million. If revenue for the upcoming season tops $5.565 billion, the cap could be over $100 million for 2024-25.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to think that 8% inflation on general prices + more ticket sales and attendence in general means that 5% revenue increase is pretty much a guarantee.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno about what the NHL’s economists say but Banks are tending to move to a recessionary economy in the next year or so. I’d surmise some of the smaller markets people won’t be spending as much money given the combination of inflation and shrinking of the economy. I wonder where they would expect the growth to come from?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #7
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Have to think that 8% inflation on general prices + more ticket sales and attendence in general means that 5% revenue increase is pretty much a guarantee.
I'm less optimistic. 8% inflation on general prices means a lot of downward pressure on disposable income. And if the central banks get serious about curbing inflation, they're likely to trigger a major recession (assuming we aren't already in the early stages of one).
Old 08-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #8
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke said on the FAN960 that the players debt to the NHL is mostly re-paid
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post: